GR.net GR:AW Modder opens!

Rocky

It looks great and the SDK Glossary helped me a bit, but I would like to see a complet listing of the XML script commands and how they are used.

How about these:

GR:AW SP Scripting 1 - Show Enemies by Player Activated Zone

GR:AW SP Scripting 2 - Mission Objectives And The GUI

GR:AW SP Scripting 3 - Triggers

GR:AW SP Scripting 4 - Event Element Types

GR:AW SP Scripting 5 - Demolition Objective

Was surprised there where no lists like these when I started to look into GR:AW about 5 weeks ago. :rolleyes:

Those are great! With your permission, I'll code them up and get them into the modder section for future reference. I started on the first one, but it's taking a little time to format it neatly - I'll shoot you a PM over the weekend with progress.

Those are great! With your permission, I'll code them up and get them into the modder section for future reference. I started on the first one, but it's taking a little time to format it neatly - I'll shoot you a PM over the weekend with progress.

Added two more quick ones this morning.

GR:AW SP Scripting 6 - Timer

GR:AW SP Scripting 7 - AND & OR Conditioned Triggers

Hope they help someone out there. Not that it looks like alot of people are trying to script SP, but most of it works in MP I guess (haven't tried).

Probably going to get slated for this and I'm leaving myself wide open to critism but, here we go...

The grammar and spelling in the Lights and Lamps section is poor, making reading difficult. The content is great and I have learned a lot from it but it needs to look more presentable.

Old example:

Since GRAW uses deffered lighting lights are rendered a bit special. You can have basicly as many lights as you want on screen as long as they dont overlap overlap each other. for example 10 small lights that dont overlap would render quite fast, 1 big lamp would render also kinda fast, but 5 big lamps that overlap each others lights wouldbe much much slower.look at how lights are used the levels in the box-fresh game!

Corrected by Microsoft Word:

Since GRAW uses deferred lighting lights are rendered a bit special. You can have as many lights as you want on screen as long as they do not overlap each other. for example 10 small lights that don't overlap would render quite fast, 1 big lamp would render also kind of fast, but 5 big lamps that overlap each others lights would be much slower. Look at how lights are used the levels in the box-fresh game!

Laying it out like this makes it easier to read:

Since GRAW uses deferred lighting, lights are rendered differently; you can have as many lights as you want on screen, as long as they do not overlap each other.

For example:

• 10 small lights that do not overlap would render fast
  • 1 big lamp would also render quickly
  • 5 big lamps that overlap each others light radius would be much slower

Study how the lights are used in the Fresh-Box game.

Please remember, I'm not doing this to pull the creator of the document down; far from it, I think its a great post, I just want people to get the best out of the info.

Edited by darkan9el

Probably going to get slated for this and I'm leaving myself wide open to critism but, here we go...

The grammar and spelling in the Lights and Lamps section is poor, making reading difficult. The content is great and I have learned a lot from it but it needs to look more presentable.

Old example:

Since GRAW uses deffered lighting lights are rendered a bit special. You can have basicly as many lights as you want on screen as long as they dont overlap overlap each other. for example 10 small lights that dont overlap would render quite fast, 1 big lamp would render also kinda fast, but 5 big lamps that overlap each others lights wouldbe much much slower.look at how lights are used the levels in the box-fresh game!

Corrected by Microsoft Word:

Since GRAW uses deferred lighting lights are rendered a bit special. You can have as many lights as you want on screen as long as they do not overlap each other. for example 10 small lights that don't overlap would render quite fast, 1 big lamp would render also kind of fast, but 5 big lamps that overlap each others lights would be much slower. Look at how lights are used the levels in the box-fresh game!

Laying it out like this makes it easier to read:

Since GRAW uses deferred lighting, lights are rendered differently; you can have as many lights as you want on screen, as long as they do not overlap each other.

For example:

• 10 small lights that do not overlap would render fast
  • 1 big lamp would also render quickly
  • 5 big lamps that overlap each others light radius would be much slower

Study how the lights are used in the Fresh-Box game.

Please remember, I'm not doing this to pull the creator of the document down; far from it, I think its a great post, I just want people to get the best out of the info.

:rocky: I'll risk a slam alongside you as I agree 100% w/your post! The original info is in 1st draft form; your revised example, besides being grammatically correct, presents the material in a way that greatly facilitates comprehension / learning -- which is surely the end goal of people who take the time to make this kind of user document to begin with. I've never understood why these guys don't ask someone who is strong in English to proofread / revise their work?

I've never understood why these guys don't ask someone who is strong in English to proofread / revise their work?

Have you ever tried to find good help? It ain't easy I assure you.

I think it is a poor show to critisice someone for taking the time to put something together that is there to HELP others. Formatting a document to make it more readible is all well and good, but who has the time? If the author had had time, I am sure he would have done it.

Think on this.

(1)Create another report to help modders make more content for GRAW

OR

(2)Spend time reformatting an existing report that will not add any content, but make it easier on the eye.

If it comes down to a choice (and it does when time is a premium), I'd go for No.1 everytime.

I'm not going to slam either of the above posters for their posts, but I will make a suggestion.

Rather than coming at someone who's first language may not be English, and who perhaps cannot format in word/html/or forum code, rather than come at them with examples of how it should be done, how about taking the initiative and fixing the report up yourself, then contacting the original author (or me), and saying "here ya go, saved you some time and tidied up your report for ya!"

How cool would that be.

*sigh*

Imagine if I treated report writers with the above attitude. For example, you'll see quite a few reports in the modder section now. Those reports were sent to me or originally released in various formats ranging from pdf, word, plain txt, converted html. To get those formatted correctly so they were readable in the modder section, in some cases, took me HOURS just for one report. I am still working on one that is taking DAYS. Maybe I should just have sent it back and asked why they didn't get someone to format it up for me?

I'm sorry if that seems a bit harsh, but really, some of you do not know how good you've got it.