HELP! for win2000 server

ilovemecha

OK, I have read in other threads that other peeps have stated that you need to have the Ageia drivers installed on a SADS box in order to have SADS run. Is there anyone that can confirm that fact????? Point being is that I went to the Ageia website to get the drivers and that it states that the drivers are for "XP/Vista RC1" only. Is this the culprit????

So downloaded the drivers and installed them.....they actually installed......however STILL NO GO

Not true about installing the Ageia drivers. Our remote box had nothing installed on and it hosts GRAW just fine. However it's also a win2003 OS. Files were just moved over and the dedicated server just started fine.

This is a long shot...but...I would like to see what a working context-standalone.xml looks like.

That file seems to be as far as it gets when loading. It might have something to do with "pathing" or reading the bundle.

I've managed to isolate the .dll files that are needed to get to the "loading..." screen. beyond that, it can't find and/or read the file referance in the context-standalone.xml.

I dunno......maybe thats crap also.................

Slow

Clean server with only sp3 and sp4 installed with mobo and vid card drivers.

I tested several things on it.

1)Typical move data.

2)Install from DVD (copy to another folder) and patch to full 1.30

3)Patch installed copy to beta 1.30

Hosting from in game gui "dedicated"

Hosting from SADS in all 3

It's the installed and full 1.30 patch version that worked.

it's 1 of 2 things that I can guess. 1) somewhere in a config file is an absolute path that directs to the install directory. I have checked all the Registry entries and changed the one that was not an uninstall. I changed it to the copied files location (c:\GRAW) which didn't work. So I don't think it's the registry.

I will test this tomorrow with changing the copied files to the same directory structure from my gaming rig.

2)The Agia hardware drivers are only compatible with XP and something else is tweaked when the software drivers are loaded. I suspect this more than anything else since the server performs the physics calculations for the cleints (supposedly).

I will report my findings to GRIN as soon as I finish the testing to the best of my ability.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

LOL I forgot to mention that you must also have the DirectX run time installed. You can just copy the directX folder from the CD to the server and run the DXSETUP.exe.

I'm still trying to find out what in the actual install is different from the copied files. Pathing or actual 3rd party program like the ageia. Which isn't needed for XP. I just wish we had some kind of server log that could help me narrow it down.

I'm still a ways off from really narrowing it down. But for those who would wish to or can, you can do an actual install with the game CD on the server. I know that means that some of you would have to ship your CD to your provider but that is as far as I have gotten if you want to get it up and running now.

LOL I forgot to mention that you must also have the DirectX run time installed. You can just copy the directX folder from the CD to the server and run the DXSETUP.exe.

I'm still trying to find out what in the actual install is different from the copied files. Pathing or actual 3rd party program like the ageia. Which isn't needed for XP. I just wish we had some kind of server log that could help me narrow it down.

I'm still a ways off from really narrowing it down. But for those who would wish to or can, you can do an actual install with the game CD on the server. I know that means that some of you would have to ship your CD to your provider but that is as far as I have gotten if you want to get it up and running now.

Actually if the provider has the CD... just e-mail them your key and they can install it to the server for sads.

;)

Shouldn't be that hard.

Stealth and Slow I need you guys to try something for me.

In your GRAW/settings folder is a file called defaults.xml

open it and edit the active server path to show the same config xml file that is in your servers_shared.xml. I think this is not updated or for some reason on Win2000 is taking priority over the servers_shared.xml setting.

What I found is that my servers were not loading my config. There were loading the default game which was domination I believe.

The line looks like this:

<server active="/settings/servers/graw_server_YOURCONGIF.xml" />

make sure that is a valid xml file and also matches the one in your servers_shared.xml file. I haven't tested it for saving and changing the default xml config within the console. So be aware if you want to change your default configuration you may need to edit this line manually to get the server to continue to operate properly. Like I said I haven't tested it so just be aware of the possibility.

All I ever see is

Loading...... and then "poof"

And never even get to the next line. Well OK..I can either pay our provider to install the game (which they will do) for a reasonable fee,or get an OS upgrade and have my uploaded SADS put on the new HDD. In my case this is even more feasable because our server only has a cdrom and my copy of GRAW is on DVD. Or somehow have someone figure out what is not allowing the game to "Load" Well , flimflam.....thanks for the effort.

I see my attemp to have your f's bee in french script a la the ol GR days didnt work......LOL

Edited by Stealth-IRA

Stealth -

Any word on the co location service provider disabling the Nortons Corporate to test if it's script blocking the server?

Yes ,they actually uninstalled it completely off the server. Still no go. Saw Win 2003 server on newegg for $299

Dunno what to do at this point really,other than say thanks for your efforts FF

Edited by Stealth-IRA

THe last thing I would try before dropping 3 bills on win03 Server would be to take a program like Alcohol120% and make a disk image, upload it to the server and try to intstall it. A120% is free to try so it'll cost you nothing to try it.

Other than that I'm fresh out of ideas. We worked together on TS the other night and all my ideas didn't pan out. Sorry.

It would be cheaper just to throw windows xp pro on the box and be done with it. XP Pro can handle it. Windows 2003 server is nice but if cost is a problem XP Pro will work and can handle the load + high amounts of memory and multi processor support. You can also load up IIS on it if you need an ftp. Just my 2 cents + change.