1980x1440+max settings: possible with 7900gtx512?

So probably tomorrow or Monday/Tuesday I'm placing an order for an eVGA 7900gtx 512.

I'm going to do the regular thing and overclock a good bit (but cooled on air, so I'm not expecting 1000 on core and 2200 on memory like those phase/dry ice crazy people do :) , etc. :yes: )

I'm expecting to get around 750/1750 for the core/memory.

I'm curious if you think this card will be able to handle GRAW on max settings at 1920x1440, especially if I also purchase a PPU to go along?

Anti-aliasing isn't that much necessary to me at this high of a res, so even if it's just 0x or 2x AA instead of the 4x/8x/16x :)

I really don't want to go SLI because well, not sure if a 550w PSU will handle it (it may, but I dunno)

So anyone from GRIN, have you been able to play the game at high/max settings with a "gaming PC"? :)

And most of all, thanks GRIN for making Ghost Recon actually good :D

Forgot the rest of the specs

3800x2 (stock Ghz for now)

2gb Mushkin Xtreme PC4000

Asus SLI Premium mobo

Raptor HDD

Edited by Spoudazo

Sure the resolution is no problem at all, but you "might" need SLI for better framerate.  The demo is around the corner and it will show you if your card will be able to deliver playable framerate or not.

Cool.

My 7800gtx 256 will do 1980x1440 on Day of Defeat: Source with max settings except no AA (don't need any) and 4x AF at around 60fps (it's overclocked a lil' :santa: ), depending on which level. One level though witha bunch of water, HDR, bloom, etc. it drops to around 30.

There is quite a performance gap between a 7800GTX/256 and a 7900GTX/512. Do you have Oblivion? If you get acceptable framerate in Oblivion at that resolution than I´m 100% sure that GRAW will run faster.

Regarding the PPU: It has been said that the PPU doesn´t have an effect on framerate at all. You "just" get a better physics and special effects.

Edited by agentkay

There is quite a performance gap between a 7800GTX/256 and a 7900GTX/512.  Do you have Oblivion?  If you get acceptable framerate in Oblivion at that resolution than I´m 100% sure that GRAW will run faster.

Regarding the PPU:  It has been said that the PPU doesn´t have an effect on framerate at all.  You "just" get a better physics and special effects.

I play Oblivion and honestly I don't really like the game because the game engine just plays so horrible on PCs compaired to other games.

I mean, Quake 4 on high settings looks as good if not better than Oblivion, yet it's usually a rock-steady 60fps (sometimes it drops to in the 30s however).

However, Oblivion is the other way around. It's usually 25-35fps and only if I look up at the blank sky or am walking in a cave is it 60fps.

Sure, it looks nice at 2048x1536 with HDR on, but bah, I need my frames per second.

That's why I am so, so, so, so, so happy that GRIN made the graphics engine for this game from the ground up rather than just taking the "left overs" from the 360 version ;)

As for my 7800gtx, I'll be putting it up on Ebay pretty soon (I'm "fast50stang" on there) if someone here wants to buy it for a good price, feel free to email me at dunamistheou@gmail.com :D

I play Oblivion and honestly I don't really like the game because the game engine just plays so horrible on PCs compaired to other games.

I mean, Quake 4 on high settings looks as good if not better than Oblivion, yet it's usually a rock-steady 60fps (sometimes it drops to in the 30s however).

However, Oblivion is the other way around.  It's usually 25-35fps and only if I look up at the blank sky or am walking in a cave is it 60fps.

Sure, it looks nice at 2048x1536 with HDR on, but bah, I need my frames per second.

That's why I am so, so, so, so, so happy that GRIN made the graphics engine for this game from the ground up rather than just taking the "left overs" from the 360 version ;)

Yes the Oblivion engine is a mess. Sure the world is huge and there are many characters but its not a "clean" engine, by far not. I asked about Oblivion because its the most demanding game right now (King Kong Gamers Edition is even worse, but thats another story) and obviously if you would have been happy with the performance there, you wouldn´t have to worry about GRAW at all. :D

Quake 4 is another story, too, the levels are smaller and it runs on OpenGL, which Nvidia cards love since Nvidia has by far the best OpenGL drivers.

But yes, GRINs engine should be more efficient since it doesn´t have to deal with console code. Games exclusively developed for PC are extremely rare these days, unfortuntely I have to say. I hope all pirates die. :D They are the real reason why most PC games are nothing but ports.

Edited by agentkay

It has been said that the PPU doesn´t have an effect on framerate at all.  You "just" get a better physics and special effects.

True, although it should be pointed out that this is true for GR:AW because of how GRIN chose to employ the AGEia card, not because that's simply how the AGEia card works. It won't necessarily be the same with future titles using AGEia.