6800GT/Ultra or x800xt pe?

ghostie

bear in mind that nvidia were on the inside during the developement of doom3 and it was made to run better on nvidia's cards and tech where as ati were on the inside for hl2's dev so i'm betting hl2 based benchmarks will show the reverse of the doom3 ones

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone's been inside of HL2.

Still, the fact that a card $200 more than a last generation card beats that same card by only two frames makes me laugh.

Wasnt ATi teamed with UBI for R6:3? We know how that turned out.

Edited by Crimson

bear in mind that nvidia were on the inside during the developement of doom3

That's not true. During development, the Doom 3 creators chose an ATI board during E3 because it just ran better on ATI than on Nvidia's chip at that time.

The recent benchmark results are more a case of Nvidia doing their homework to make sure Doom 3 shines best on their card when it comes out.

John Carmack has wrote the code for Doom 3 to run on different paths depending on what hardware is used. He is pretty neutral in terms of hardware - he just wants to make sure his engine runs well on any hardware out there now. For demos, he picks the best hardware at the time. Initially he used Nvidia during the 4xxx series vs. ATI's 8xxx, but then his last choice was ATI because the Radeon 9700 was just better than the GeForce FX 5800.

I'm sure ATI will tweak their drivers to improve Doom 3 performance.

If you look hard enough you're going to find benchies that are in favor of one or the other card. I saw some that show the pros consistently beating the 6800gt's and then the other way around. It's hard to believe what you read until later down the line when the cards are established. By that time though some other bigger and better thing will have come out for the same price you paid.

I just went to GameVE and preordered a PNY 6800GT for ~$440 shipped and taxed. IF I'M LUCKY IT WILL SHIP ON THE 30TH...

If you want a pny that's available, I think this place has em in stock for 389.00 futurepower

I saw a few in the CUSA store when I went today but i'm still going to hold out for the bfg. I think it'll ship next thursday for me.

Already looked there... they dont get any until August 10th. I tried CompUSA, and you could only pick it up at the store. Unfortunately the one nine miles away and the one 19 miles away dont do pick-ups, so I'm still stuck with the waiting game.

That $389 is without tax and 2nd day air... which I got for only $8 by the way. It might be 10-15 dollars cheaper, but not worth the hassle now.

It's a shame they're no LeadTek GTs on the market. Since all the GTs are on referance boards, you should go for the card with the best bundle or cooling solution, and the LeadTek has the best cooling solution... Gainward's isnt bad either.

This one just makes me laugh:

1090364971VEVx7HppJJ_4_1.gif

Still, the fact that a card $200 more than a last generation card beats that same card by only two frames makes me laugh.

Huh? Take a closer look, dude, both those cards are "last generation", and the ATi is still winning...

Note: The 5950Ultra still sells for a good £60 more than the 9800XT, for what it's worth.

I like the way that, even from the sources you've chosen to back up your argument, you ignore the facts that go against your view. Like those tests where the X800XT-PE comfortably holds its own against the 6800Ultras.

Anyway, you've yet to prove your assertion that the R420 architecture is based on old technology. The X800 is no more based on 9800 technology than the Thrust SSC is based on a Morris Minor.

Edit - Sorry, this post has come off sounding way more personal than it should have. It's rediculous to argue over bloody graphics cards and I must say that having looked at your sources and some other review/comparisons, I've actually decided that you may well be right, Crimson. :)

My mistake, for some reason I didnt see the 9 in front of the 8. :wacko:

Oh, and the old technology thing I think I read by someone on the AT forums.

As for the X800XT-PE, it should beat the Ultra, since the PE is at the top ATi, while the Ultra Extreme Edition is at the top for nVidia. :)

Edited by Crimson

I read that the same thing somewhere, that the x800's are souped up 9800's and the 6800's are totally new tech. Not to knock on ati because I would take an xtpe over the Ultras. but the gt's are tops as far as the midrange cards go. Still waiting.... :(

Still waiting on Chumbo? You should jump ships. I think ComputerBrain has GTs in stock, if you dont mind paying more. I need to call GameVE to make sure they'll be getting the PNY cards sometime around the 30th.

yeah i'm stubborn that way, when I have my mind set on a certain brand I can't go with another and feel good about it no matter what. Plus the inner jew in me wants to save a few bucks so I can wait a bit. if worse comes to worst i'll go down to my local comp usa and buy a pny because I saw a few there last time i went.

I called GameVE today. I asked to cancel my order, the lady asked for my number... done. It really went down exactly like that. No conversation, no trying to sell me something else, no trying to keep my order, no $442 for them.

You gotta love the companies that aren't out to screw you over. I think at buyxg.com I saw their eta's on the evga's as 7/30, which is tomorrow already. If chumbo doesn't come through within the next few days I might go that route.

BOOOOOOYA!

Leadtek baby! My only problem is it was $419 a few minutes ago, and when I bought it, it went up to $430. <_< $460, a little steep, but worth it IMO.

winfast_a400_gttdh_2.jpg

Unfortunately, it's 6:04PM, and their phones are down at 6. I tried calling them to see if they had it in stock, so now I get to wait.