Video Cards

Kurtz

The ATI Radeon 9800 Pro was ATI's highest-end card last summer.

The GeForce FX 5900XT is the lower-end version of the 5900 series (5900 & 5900 Ultra being faster)

The ATI 9800 Pro is as fast as the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra, and some say has better image quality.

So price being the same, I'd get the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro hands-down (I do own one myself ^_^ )

Note: If you are installing the ATI card into your computer that used to have the Nvidia card, make sure you scrub out all traces the Nvidia driver or you may run into problems.

LOL Crimson, we posted 12 seconds apart :lol:

Forum says 12 minutes for me. :huh:

@Kurtz - $250 is a bit steep for both cards. You shouldn't have a problem finding a 5900XT under $180 and a 9800 Pro for under $215. Where are going to buy your hardware from?

LOL Crimson, we posted 12 seconds apart  :lol:

Forum says 12 minutes for me. :huh:

Doh! :wall: You're right ... my wife always complains I have probs keeping track of time :wacko:

When I initially read the thread, there were no replies yet ... I assumed we posted around the same time, but I remember I didn't refresh the page for some time before I typed in my reply :P

oke guys, hers a question for u ,

As im trying to solve out which is better, nvidia or ati...............

Im running nvidai myself, but i read and saw some very good comparisation results on test benchmarks and games, that made the ati jump ahead by quite some distance. Not to mention they are overall a bit cheaper.

Is it like AMD and Intel? nvidia being the intel and ati the amd..........

But the most important question is this: How does Ati seem to game with GR ??

is it any good? does it lag? what system and ati card are u guys using??

Does it need uploaded drivers like nvidia, cause i personally think nvidia is a load of crap with his drivers, the never seem very compatible with all the rest the throw on the market themselfs!!

greezt

mordred

nVidia isnt to Intel as AMD is to ATi. If anything, it would be the other way around, but it's neither.

As for compatibility, you can never be sure. Some people get crap performance from ATi or nVidia. You will get different opinions on which company/card to go with. As for which is better, it all depends. If you take a Radeon 9800XT and compare it to a FX 5900XT, then ATi (obviously) has the upper hand. Price range is generally the determining factor between the two.

Edited by Crimson

Upgrading my 64 mb TI4200. For $250, I can buy either a 128 mb ATI 9800 Pro or a 128 mb MSI FX5900XT. What do you recommend? Thanks.

ATI or nvidia, it really all comes down to personal choice and financial limitations in the end. I've used both brands over the years (along with other obscure companies), but I keep coming back to ATI.

I just got a 128 MB 9800 Pro to replace my 128 MB FX 5200. The difference is night and day. Granted the 5200 is no performance card, but it is not a total bottom-feeder either. I could get anywhere from 17-50 FPS in GR with all the settings at max., shadows all on with the 5200. The same settings with the 9800 Pro and I'm seeing 80-120 FPS. The 9800 Pro (for me at least) has made GR a brand new game! Best $200 (US) I've ever spent. So if you live in the US get to your local BestBuy and pick one up before the May 8th. Store price $249 - $30 in-store discount and a $20 ATI mail-in rebate.

Side note: I really feel bad though, the main reason I got the 9800 Pro was not for playing GR but for playing IL-2: FB - AEP :D

you got to compare an apple with an apple mate, and not with a banana :shifty:

ATI RADEON 9600 XT vs. NVIDIA GeForce FX5700 Ultra

thats a comparisation on xbit-website

and if i should compare that ATI 9800 Pro AGP i would compare it with a FX5700-TD128 128MB or a FX5600xt-VTDR 128MB that would be a total different picture on the fps rate u are getting there.

figure it out yourself: your old card 128 MB FX 5200 costs : 88euros

your new ATI 9800 Pro AGP TV/DVI 128mb DDR : 235 euros :sheep:

greetings

mordred

thats for sure,looking to buy a 9600xt here myself 256mb to replace my geforce3ti200.........i wanted to get a9800 but it requires a 300w PSU minimum. Since mine is 300w i might run into heating problems or graphics card crashes................. do u get 300 or 360W or other psu??