Freeware Video Converter

Walter

Which format is best to record in (mpeg/avi/wmv) for converting to DivX and does anyone know of any good freeware converters out there? I tried Googling and found loads but downloading and trying them all out might take some time. :unsure:

Thanks.

This is an easy one.

FREE CONVERTER

SUPER.

The only issue with that tool is the website :rofl: Finding the download link is like trying to find the holy grail.

FORMAT

DivX is a avi codec, so you can either encode your movies in avi using the divx codec, or try wmv or mpeg. It depends on what device you plan on using for playback mostly. I've always find wmv to be very good for file size v quality, even though Divx is popular.

Good Lord, that was a pain to find. Since you said it was a challenge I thought I'd try to see how quick I could find it. Took me 37 seconds to go from the first page to the second to the third to the download, lol.

Yeh exactly, if you venture into the forums, you'll find various comments along the same lines, it really is a shocking website, but an awesome tool.

I've always find wmv to be very good for file size v quality

WMV is not a file format, it's a container format, like Quicktime files. It's also a container that is locked to Windows only systems, so it's not appropriate for general use, though it's certainly just fine if you can control the platform it'll be viewed on.