PC Shuts Down

GrimeyAK

OK, I'm getting really frustrated. My PC has started shutting down after I play some games. It started doing this with my 7950GX2 right before I got my 8800GT. I would be playing a Skirmish in Company of Heroes and all of a sudden in the middle of it, the computer would shut off. I don't think the video card was overheating because I could turn it on right away.

I thought it wouldn't happen with the 8800GT, but it did it right on a map change. It's definitely not overheating because the temps are around 60*C and I've got the fan at 70%. Plus, I actually have the side panel of my PC case open.

Does anyone know what may be wrong? Faulty drivers, need to reinstall DirectX, or something of the sort?

It happened in the UT3 demo also when switching between maps.

I hope it's not the PSU because I just bought this one (Antec TruePower Trio 550W) over the summer. If it is, that really sucks.

Edit: Ledanek, which forum section should I look at? The PSU ones?

Edit 2: If I do need a new PSU, which one do you recommend? Preferably one with 80%+ efficiency. Which is better: having multiple 12V rails or just a single one? I don't plan on using SLI, especially since my mobo doesn't support it. Also, if possible could you please recommend a brand which I can pick up at a large electronics store like Fry's?

Edit 3: I've done some research on the xtremesystems site and have decided to go with the Silverstone SST-ST75ZF 750W.

Edited by GrimeyAK

Yeah, I already tried that. Thanks for the suggestion, though. With the 7950GX2 I tried the latest WHQL which were the 163.71 (?) but it still shut down. Then with the 8800 GT I'm using 169.02 which is the current WHQL for the 8800GT - I get the same result.

I'm going to buy a couple cans of compressed air along with the PSU. First I'm going to spray down the CPU heat sink and fan just to make sure it's not just the CPU overheating because it looks a bit dirty right now. If it still shuts down after cleaning, I'll just change out the PSU.

Edit: Just curious, but is it possible for a faulty PSU to cause the CPU to overheat? For example, because there isn't enough power going to the fan to keep it cool?

Edited by GrimeyAK

Event viewer...I think I looked at it before and I didn't see anything unusual. At least I don't think I did. I bought a new OCZ PSU and it seems that everything is back to normal. I managed to get through a few levels in CoD4. It didn't shut down where it usually would in the first mission. I'll report back after more tests.