Which PSU?

[TCS]BlackMamba

Getting some very new high end parts and my cheap 450W bog standard PSU will not be enough to cope. Also I feel to do the new parts justice I should get a decent PSU. I have never really looked into PSU's before but I know enough about them to know that Enermax and Antec are basically the best so I want one of these I think unless of course you can now get better ones.

My new rig will be as follows:

AMD 64 3800+ X2 or AMD 64 3700+

ATi Radeon X1800 XL 256Mb

DFI Lanparty UT RDX200CF-DR SKT939

This will be added to my exsisting:

1Gb Low Latency Gaming RAM

80Gb Hitachi Deskstar SATA 1 HDD

250Gb Seagate 7200.8 SATA 1 NCQ HDD

DVD/CDRW Combi

So far I have been looking at the Antec Truepower 2 550W and the Antec Truecontrol 2 or Antec Truecontrol 1

I have been mainly focusing on the first one as it seems like a happy medium price wise.

Basically I want to know two things:

Is the Truecontrol 1 good enough as I could buy one for cheap?

Secondly what other PSU's are there out there that are on a par with or better than those 3 price and performance wise?

Basically I want to know two things: 

Is the Truecontrol 1 good enough as I could buy one for cheap?

Basically, you can't go wrong with Antec. My last 2 systems have TruePower PSUs inside, and I just built a Athlon 64 X2 4000+ system with a 480W NeoPower which was really sweet.

If you are really on a budget, get the TrueControl 1 as it is at clearance prices and is no longer produced by Antec since it was replaced with the TrueControl 2. NOTE: TrueControl 1 generation products likely do NOT have SATA power connectors and 24-pin mobo power connector that new Intel mobo's need. However, if your SATA HD still has the old molex power connector, then you won't need SATA connectors.

If you want to be safe and get a higher quality product, get a TrueControl 2. If you got money to burn, the NeoPower is nice.

I would also recommend Enermax PSUs.

BTW, glad to see you went with the X800XL. If you wait til Feb after the X1900XTX is released, you might see prices drop even more.

I will probably get the TruePower 2 I think. Also I am not updating till summer so by then x1800's should be even more affordable I might even be able to afford a Pro! lol

Also are any Hiper PSU's as good cos they seem slightly cheaper and you can get a 580w Modular one for about £60-65 which from what I can tell means its much neater?

HIPER PSU

Edited by [TCS]BlackMamba

i've got an enermax as do a couple other people i know and i'd recomend them to anyone, they're great :thumbsup:

Indeed. They seem to be of fine quality and I just replaced another well known PS unit :'( that didn't last a year with a Enermax 500W Liberty.

I was in the same upgrade boat as you were a couple of months ago. I made my research based on foremost by number of complaints (negative comments), RMA (DOAs), features (how many SATA, sleeves, modular, etc), and longevity (how much power), and recommendations by power users (nVidia, ATI, Alienware, Falcon-NW, MAINGEAR, Voodoo PC) in that order.

All this accdg to my gaming and upgrade needs for the next 5 yrs

So my top 3 choices (from least favorite)

3) Antec TruePower II 550W 20-24pin PSU (more of that here)

2) Enermax EG565-VE FMA Whisper 2

1) SilverStone SST-ST60F 600W

Some pics to show length of cables and its size. Some ppl found it a tight fit. Its tight for mid-tower (Thermaltake Tsunami + SilverStone Zues 550

Maybe learn from my mistake and consider the size of the PSU too. :whistle: