Starting Mission Modding - Davros Wiki

Spik@

Hey all,

I have just started out trying to make a mission of my own and for this I am following the wiki movies and tutorial(s) from Davros.

(http://graw2.pbworks.com/w/page/11815705/The-basic-sequence-of-making-a-coop-mission-from-a-new-map)

As far as I can tell, I have done all the steps that are required, but when I load GRAW2 it does not show the coop_urban_conflict? According to the tutorial you should be able to see the map in GRAW2 after finishing the steps of placing the locations and humans, but I have done all this, but still....nothing. Just to be clear; I have edited the world.xml and mission.xml. They are also in the correct location.

The text seems to be just a transcript of the movie, so there is nothing there that explains where I have gone wrong (as I am expecting to have done something wrong or missed instead of immediately jump to the conclusion the tutorial is to blame)

Did anyone have the same experience with this or should the movie from Davros be sufficient to get it to work??

Thanks,

Spik@

Rocky,

Thanks. I know he is somewhat of an Obi Wan Kenobi in a forum far far away. :P

I will see if he will drop by later.

Just wish developers keep modders more in mind when developing a game like this and make editors as plane and simple as it gets..... :huh:

If your mission is not showing up in the map list when you start the game the most likely cause is there is a problem with your wold_info.xml.

Take a look at the one below:

world_info path="/data/levels/common/coop_settings.xml" name="urban_conflict" type="coop" mission_time="day">
<world path="xml/world.xml">
</world>
<mission_script path="mission.xml">
</mission_script>
<environments path="environments.xml" environment="cloudfast"/>
<massunits path="massunit.bin"/>
<sound>
<soundbank name="ambience_shanty_war_sound" type="ambient"/>
</sound>
<texture_scope path="texture_scope.xml"/>
<extra_coverpoints path="coverpoints.xml"/>
<texture name="loading" texture="/data/textures/atlas_gui/mission_gfx/load_mp_rvsa" uv_rect="0,0,2048,1080" width="2048" height="2048"/>
<texture name="minimap" texture="/data/levels/custom_levels/coop_urban_conflict/minimap" uv_rect="0,0,1024,719" width="1024" height="1024"/>
<graph name="coarse" path="ai_coarse.gph"/>
<graph name="main" path="ai.gph"/>
<border name="minimap" min_x="-32141.922" min_y="-36215.434" max_x="35656.996" max_y="11372.992"/>
</world_info>
[/code]

You can copy the code above and replace it with the code you have in your wold_info.xml.

You need to make sure you have the correct path name in this line.

<texture name="minimap" texture="/data/levels/custom_levels/coop_urban_conflict/minimap" uv_rect="0,0,1024,719" width="1024" height="1024"/>

This is to tell the game where your minimap is located, even if this is not correct the map should work ok but the minimap won't show on the top right of the screen.

One more thing to check is make sure you don't have this map in your custom_levels folder, if there is anything in that folder called urban_conflict.bundle then your map won't show up in the game or it may crash when loading.

If you are still having problems then upload your map to a file hosting site like mediafire then post the link here and I will take a look, make sure you include all the folders in your mission from and including the data folder.

Obi John,

I have correctly edited the World.xml and there is no urban_conflict.bundle in my Custom Missions folder. Still, the coop_urban_conflict mission will not show up in the list of missions within GRAWII, but......Mexbob just pointed out to me that because I am using Windows 7 (64bit), the Data folder needs to be in another location. So not the location which is in the tutorial, which seems to have been written for XP (maybe nice to have some addition to the wiki for Windows 7 users....?)

I will try Bob's way tomorrow and see if that is going to work....

If not...." I'll be back " :o=

Regards,

Spik@

Ah, didn't know you were using win7 which is what I use so...

You can still have your data folder in the "C:/Program Files x(86)/UBISOFT/Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2/data" folder but any changes you make in the editor will be saved in your C:/Users/[Your Name]/AppData/Local/GRAW2/data.

All you need to do before you bundle the file is copy all changes from the user folder then add the to the "Program Files x(86)/UBISOFT/Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2/data".

Or you can start with your map in your "C:/Users/[Your Name]/AppData/Local/GRAW2/data" then any changes you make will be saved with your map.

I have correctly edited the World.xml

I think you mean the world_info.xml, the world.xml contains all the info about the map, props, locations, humans etc, the world_info.xml tells the game where to find your map and what type of mission it is, coop, hh, tdm, etc.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

John,

You are right. I meant the World_Info.xml. Sorry for the confusion :rolleyes:

I will be trying the tips you gave me and see if this will work. Last night I checked to see if the path Bob mentioned is already somewhere, but I couldn't find it, but as it already was very late, I didn't really have the energy to try and get it to work.

Today, all rested and full ( :wacko: ) of energy I am going to give it a shot.

Regards,

Spik@

#Edit# Oh and by the way.....after I finished the changes, I did not bundle it?! In the video tut it doesn't say. Do I need to bundle it?

Edited by Spik@

Hi Spike@,

For testing purposes you can leave your mission in the data folder unbundled, you only need to bundle it when you are ready to share it with others, ie, when you post it for testing or release it to the public, etc.

Have fun, :D

John

John,...

Following the tutorial I kind of figured it wouldnt be necessarry to bundle it, but being a noob at this, it never hurts to ask and be sure!

And very funny... "....when you are ready to share it with others"....I fear that will not be the case for a loooong time! :lol:

Again,...I'd just wish editors are more 'down to earth'. My guess is that there are lots of people with the right imagination to make really cool missions, but lack the time and/or skills to learn an editor. That's what I liked about IGOR. It was all so 'easy' to figure out. The lifetime of games like GRAW can be extended in such a big way!

But...no use in crying about it.... ;) I am going to dust myself off and try again....

Regards,

Spik@

Ha, the editor is a strange place to be, very unforgiving, one wrong move and you are back to your desktop without any warning.

Once you start placing the AI on the map you will see how many bugs there are in the editor, one example is if you place a sniper on the map the editor will crash, but as always there are ways to get around this so if you have any problems just ask and we will help out.

I started making missions back in 2009, 40+ missions later I'm still finding new ways of doing things and adding new features.

I'm just starting out in Igor, at least it's more stable than the GR:AW2 editor but I'm finding it a steep learning curve.

John

John,

Luckily (?) I haven't come to the point where I place snipers in the game, better yet...I haven't got to the point where I placed anything at all (not counting the tutorial)! :D

I must say that if you started out making missions not so long ago (2009), I think you are doing a pretty good job of getting the hang of it! IGOR shouldn't be a big problem for you either. I know a lot more of IGOR, so maybe (just maybe!) I can help you out with that, although it has been a while...

It is a bit of the wrong way around isn't it? First GRAW and only now IGOR? :shifty:

And yes,...as far as I can remember, IGOR never crashed on me! And I think that in the end you will agree that IGOR is far more basic to work with.

Regards,

Spik@

Guys,

I placed the Data folder, containing all edited files, into the Data folder on C:/USER........../ DATA and it shows up in the game! Starting the game resulted in the following error:

Crash in application version: 30899.3048

data\lib\utils\worldunits.dsf(-1): Main graph "/data/levels/custom_levels/coop_urban_conflict/ai.gph" does not exist! check WorldInfo file in "/data/levels/custom_levels/coop_urban_conflict"

SCRIPT STACK:

data\lib\utils\worldunits.dsf(0)

data\lib\setups\setup.dsf(0)

data\lib\setups\setup.dsf(0)

data\level\level.dsf(0)

Renderer: threaded

Physics : threaded

Now what?

Reg,

Spik@

Ok, just check you have these two lines in your world_info.xml, I'm sure you have but just to make sure.

<graph name="coarse" path="ai_coarse.gph"/>

<graph name="main" path="ai.gph"/>

The most likely cause of this is you haven't placed an AI Graph on your map.

Start the editor then from the layer menu select the AI Graph, use your right mouse button to place an AI node, for now just place 4 close together and make sure all the nodes join up, once that is done press Ctrl + k to generate the graph.

The AI Graph needs to cover the map, this tells the AI where they can walk, some people just place it where the AI will walk but I normally cover the entire map, just remember though that there must not be any breaks in the graph or it will cause problems with the AI.

More info on AI Graphs here:

http://graw2.pbworks.com/w/page/11815704/The%20AI%20Graph

Hope that helps,

John

John,

:shifty: I forgot to Ctrl-K to generate the path. When I try it now, it works, although 'it' says that although I triggered the zones, it should be replaced with some code that actually works! hahaha...

So,...eventhough I named the triggers, just like the tut says....

I already was wondering about that...

Reg,

Spik@

Edited by Spik@

When it comes to scripting you should have a read through the tutorials that come with the game.

You will find them here:

C:/Pogrom Files (x86)/UBISOFT/Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2/public_tools/tutorials

Once you get to the scripting stage the head scratching really starts.

When I first started making missions I found it useful to unbundle other missions to see how other modders did it, you are welcome to look at the code I have used in my missions plus use anything I have created in your missions, all I ask is you give credit if you do.

:thumbsup:

Jonh & Bob,

Thank you for being so generous with the advise and possibility to 'dissect' your missions. I will need to, because although I have managed to get the mission fired up, nothing else works. I spawn and extract, but no enemies..... Even if I drop some props (tank and such) into the map, they will not show up in-game.

@John: I have played your Terrorist map today and it's a nice and challenging map! :thumbsup:

@Bob: Yes....the tutorial (wiki) fails to mention the Ctrl-K, but thanks to John I figured it out. :)

I still have a long way to go.....I don't even got the tutorial to work and I already had my fair share of crashes. I find it unbelievable they made this whole game with this editor! :blink:

Regards,

Spik@

Edited by Spik@

In post #13 here I linked to the tutorial for the AI graph, it does mention the Ctrl + k key to generate the AI graph.

Just thought I should point that out so others know that the tutorial is correct.

http://graw2.pbworks.com/w/page/11815704/The%20AI%20Graph

Quick Tips

•Press the 'M' key to switch between Human and Vehicle AI Graphs

•All nodes of the Human and Vehicle AI Graph must be connected. You cannot have a section in one location of the map disconnected from another section.

•If your AI Humans or AI Vehicles are stationary where they should be moving, check to see if there are AI nodes nearby. Also check to see if a portion of your AI Nodes were disconnected.

•Press the 'Ctrl' + 'K' keys to generate your AI Graph for both Human and Vehicle.

Pleased you liked the Terrorist mission, if you look at the mission.xml script for Terrorist you will see that it has 2600 lines of code, this has to be done by hand so these bigger missions can get quite complex.

John,

I stand corrected on the Ctrl-K...... :shifty: It is indeed in the tutorial, but not mentioned in the movie.

And damn! 2600 lines? By hand? I guess a mission of that proportion equals roughly 1300 crashes?! :D

Regards,

Spik@

:lol:

It only adds to the respect I have for you guys! :thumbsup:

I only hope you get enough satisfaction out of the fact that lots of people enjoy the games, 'cause it must wreak havoc on your bloodpressure and mental health :blink:

Regards,

Spik@

Well....today I stopped crawling and took my first babystep. This might not seem much, but at this stage it is huge for me! :D

I finally got the tutorial to work and started to see the bigger picture. I will have to take a look at some of the missions to see how things are done, but it is uplifiting to get something to work for a change! And no crashes either!?

Even vehicles (static?) show up when I drop them into the map.....What I can't figure out is where to find the vehicles that are actually able to move. I know IGOR had them in a list to choose from, but where are they in this editor? The only vehicles I can find are the 'wrecks'.

Regards,

Spik@

Great to hear you are getting to grips with the tutorial, small steps are the way to go here. :thumbsup:

You will find the "movable" vehicles in the dynamic layer, once there press Ctrl + 2 the list will then change to show different vehicles.

Unfortunately there are not that many:

abrams

abrams_us

blackhawk

littlebird

panhard

pickup_loy_vehicle

pickup_merc_vehicle

Do not try and use the apache as there is a major but with this vehicle and it will always crash the editor/game.

You will also have some problems with the blackhawk but there are ways to overcome some of these problems.

John,

Thanks mate! I will most certainly be tinkering with that tomorrow!

I have read something before on the Apache somewhere in the forum, but I also remember playing a mission where they incorporated the Apache, so it can be done!?

I also tried the Human/Sniper....just to see if it actually would crash the editor (not that I didn't take your word for it!!!) and indeed....-ploop-....back to Desktop.

Played your mission Coronado today.....umpffff....nice :lol: , but really tough :o=

Regards,

Spik@

This is how I place snipers:

Place the AI at the location you want, use the middle mouse button to place the arc (cone) to tell the AI where he has to cover (note you will not see the cone until you have change it to sniper (see below)), give it a name.

Close the editor then open the world.xml, find the sniper you just placed then change the "Guard" <order order="Guard" to "Sniper" "SniperStanding" or "SniperKneeling".

When you next load the editor you will see that the sniper now has the cone attached, you can adjust the cone again if you wish.

Hope that makes some sense. :unsure: