GRAW2 - Ded. Server (Steam) on WIN2008 Server ?

I am trying to get a GRAW2 Dedicated Server going on my WINDOWS 2008 R2 Server. I am doing that with the Steam Version of Graw2, but that shouldnt be the issue here.

Followed the Ded. Server thread here in the forum, did it like described there. Now, when I start the Server using the dedicated .exe, it opens the DOS Window where it says that its loading the Server, then it says something about the Computer's cores, and then it only repeats on and on:

Starting server... (version 30899.3048)

and so on ...

I also tried it with WinXP-SP3 compatibility Mode, nothing changed. Why is the Server not starting correctly ?

I appreciate any help.

Wolfseye

Edited by Wolfseye

One thing that could be a problem is that usually WINDOWS 2008/2003 Servers dont have 3D capable graphics Cards. Its not what they are made for. For Gameservers, especially FPS Games have usually their Console (DOS) based Dedicated Server Version so a graphics card with 3D ain't necessary.

For Games that don't have that, like for example JOINT OPERATIONS (which still requires to start the game normally), i use Swift-Shader to emulate a virtual Graphics card. Works fine. But here for GRAW2 with the PhysiX drivers necessary, I don't know if that has to do with the issue. I installed the latest Nvidia - PhysiX drivers, not sure if that was necessary.

After that at least the dedicated server .exe was startable, without it it said that the PhysiX drivers were missing and necessary. Does anyone has experience with running a GRAW2 Dedicated Server on a WINDOWS 2003/2008 Server machine `?

Ok, i am a step further. Now it actually starts the Server, chooses the right map and all, but when I get in and choose my gear, look what happens.

Here you can see, the Server tells me its Gametype is indeed "COOPERATIVE".

http://i.imgur.com/Y99aZ.jpg

Now I choose my gear and ...

http://i.imgur.com/NAxqD.jpg

It tells me that one of the Rebel team must be in there as well so the game starts. Why please would a Coop server ask for another player in the Rebel Team as well ???

What setting can affect this ? I want a pure Coop Server, nothing more. What am I doing wrong ? :(

I've ran a Graw 2 Server on 2008 (not r2) before and it worked well.

post your xml here (make sure you block out passwords or remove them from post)

I'll see if i can help. It's been a while.

Also note the rebel team is the AI in Co-op. if no rebel that means no AI.

Here is an example posted by a member Kaapo

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<game_info internet_speed="3000">

<server_settings type="coop">

<game_difficulty value="hard"/>

<max_deaths value="0"/>

<max_players value="2"/>

<spawn_time value="7"/>

<start_condition value="2"/>

</server_settings>

<gametype_settings>

<auto_balance_limit value="2"/>

<death_cam value="false"/>

<friendly_fire value="false"/>

<immortality_duration value="5"/>

<load_next_map value="false"/>

<name value="GRAW2 Server"/>

<punish_tk value="false"/>

<scan_for_cheats value="false"/>

<start_condition value="4"/>

<teamkill_kick_limit value="2"/>

<vote_enabled value="false"/>

<vote_kick_starters value="2"/>

<vote_map_starters value="2"/>

<vote_ratio value="51"/>

<vote_time value="45"/>

</gametype_settings>

<match_info level="coop_mexbob_journalist_day_v2" order="1">

</match_info>

</game_info>

Thanks m8, hope you can help me. ;)

Also note the rebel team is the AI in Co-op. if no rebel that means no AI.

Yes, but since AI ain't able to "join" in your game as a player :) that doesn't explain the message I get there. Something there must be mixing up the Coop thing.

Here is my dedicated_game_info.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!-- GR:AW2 - Dedicated Server Config

v1.00 - 15th July 2007

Commented by: .TuG.Beaver - www.tugteam.com

-->

<!-- Server Settings:

password - Make the server private by setting a password.

admin_password - Admin/Console Password. If this is not set, then you cannot log into the console and admin the server.

internet_server - Set if the server is visible on the Internet or LAN.

internet_speed - Sets your server upload speed - ideally this should be between 1600-2200 for best results.

-->

<game_info password="****" admin_password="****" internet_server="true" internet_speed="1800">

<!-- Game-type Specific Settings

Game-modes: coop Co-operative.

hh Hamburger Hill.

rvsa Recon vs Assault.

s Siege

tdm Team Deathmatch

-->

<server_settings type="coop">

<game_difficulty value="easy"/>

<max_deaths value="0"/>

<max_players value="12"/>

<spawn_time value="19"/>

<start_condition value="3"/>

</server_settings>

<gametype_settings>

<auto_balance_limit value="2"/>

<death_cam value="false"/>

<immortality_duration value="9"/>

<message_of_the_day value=""/>

<name value="WPK - [EU] WOLF.PACK"/>

<punish_tk value="true"/>

<scan_for_cheats value="false"/>

<teamkill_kick_limit value="10"/>

<vote_enabled value="true"/>

<vote_map_starters value="2"/>

<vote_ratio value="51"/>

<vote_time value="45"/>

</gametype_settings>

<match_info level="coop_Triplex_Harbour_v2" order="1">

</match_info>

<match_info level="coop_LoneWolf_Missile_Night_v2" order="2">

</match_info>

<match_info level="coop_LoneWolf_Orion_Day2_v2" order="3">

</match_info>

<match_info level="coop_LoneWolf_Pollux_Day3_v2" order="4">

</match_info>

<match_info level="coop_tc02_camp_juarez_night_v2" order="5">

</match_info>

<match_info level="coop_tc02_ghost_town_night_v3" order="6">

</match_info>

<match_info level="coop_tc02_las_rosas_day_v2" order="7">

</match_info>

<match_info level="coop_sierra" order="8">

</match_info>

<match_info level="coop_tc02_operation_armageddon_night_v2" order="9">

</match_info>

<match_info level="coop_tc02_operation_icaro_day_v2" order="10">

</match_info>

</game_info>

What could be in there to make the Server wait for the Rebel team to join as well *LOL* ?? :)

That would do it!. Start condition has to be correct if i remember right as the wrong one can make it so each team has to click start.

Sorry for the delay but i posted from work and haven't been home to look at it. Glad you got it sorted.

Something else that strikes me is the fact that when I start the dedicated GRAW2 Server, it shows me roughly 370 MB memory in the taskmanager. Which is ok. But then it goes up in less than 2 minutes to over 700 MB memory, without even someone being on the Server. And its still slowly climbing. Is that normal ? For a dedicated Server especially thats a little heavy.

Thats possible. Seems after loading it went back to roughly 600 MB Memory and staying that way. Still a lot of Memory for a ded. server FPS game. I've seen bigger games using less memory with ded. servers.

Got another question for you. Probably a simple one. When lets say we play on the Server and then, because we don't have time anymore, all leave the server, is it normal that the Server usually stops that current map and loads the next one ? In some games I've seen that behaviour, in others the map stays. How is it with GRAW2 ?

• 1 year later...

GRAW2 Server, it shows me roughly 370 MB memory in the taskmanager. Which is ok. But then it goes up in less than 2 minutes to over 700 MB memory

Fixed

Navigate to your "Ghost Recon Advanced WarFighter 2" folder.

Edit the "context-standalone.xml" file and add the following line:

<threaded_renderer value="false"/>

• 2 months later...

My friends and I rent a server from a company called UGS and they couldn't get

GRAW2 to work cuz apparently the game server kept trying to find a 3d video card. I read that you can get away with setting up the server initially by using the graphics card only on the first startup (problem is they don't have a server setup like that, so I was wondering if there was any other way to set up a server so it doesn't require the graphics card at all?

• 3 weeks later...

I am renting two 32 player GRAW2 servers with FPS hosting.net, a TDM server and a Co-Op server, they reciently moved us to a new box with solid state drives and gigabyte net access running Server 2008, and the UAC features in 2008 prevented the Co-Op server from running. They had to downgrade the box to server 2003 and disable UAC to get it to run. In server 2008 even disabeling UAC would not allow GRAW2 to run.

• 3 months later...

My friends and I rent a server from a company called UGS and they couldn't get

GRAW2 to work cuz apparently the game server kept trying to find a 3d video card. I read that you can get away with setting up the server initially by using the graphics card only on the first startup (problem is they don't have a server set-up like that, so I was wondering if there was any other way to set up a server so it doesn't require the graphics card at all?

You don't need a GPU to run a GRAW2 Stand Alone Dedicated Server on the following operating systems:

WinXP, WinVista, Win7, Win8, Win2000 to Win08 server (for Gods sake, with a little help I have run this game server on Linux with wine. lol)

One thing you need to know that's often overlooked;

Because post WinXP Operating systems hold the config files in a separate location than the actual game files, it's going to be a lot easer for you if you install the game on WinXP and copy the GRAW2 installation to your server...

The n00b's guide for Installing a GRAW2 server:

Note: The steps with GRAW2 installed on a Windows XP 32 bit computer - to any windows server 32bit, 64 bit, XP, Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit

1. Install GRAW2 as normal on a computer that has a GPU and that will run the game.
  2. Run GRAW2 & upgrade the game by playing in online mode. (This will prompt the patching process).
  3. Run the game again now that it's up to date & select multiplayer, create server.
  4. From the drop down menu at the top, select Dedicated Server and make all your server settings and add the maps, then select start to create the necessary config files.
  5. A black window will pop up, let it load.
  6. close the little black window : )
  7. Copy the entire GRAW2 Directory to anywhere on your server.
  8. Put the GRAW2 DVD in your DVD drive, Upload the Support folder from the DVD (My computer "D:\Support" to your server.
  9. Navigate to Support\DirectX DXSETUP.exe and run the DXSETUP.exe on your server
  10. then navigate to Support\Ageia - run the PhisX_7.05.17_SystemSoftware.exe on your server.

To make new setting for the server simply repeat step 3 with your new settings and upload the C:\Program Files\UBISOFT\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2\Settings\dedicated_game_info.xml file to the same directory on your server.

Your done!

Important:

If your server has a 64bit operating system the 'dedicated_game_info.xml' location will be something like C:\Users\the servers name\AppData\Local\GRAW2\settings dedicated_game_info.xm

• Thanks 1