Weird screen freeze

franx

I'm running GRAW 1.35 on an AMD Athlon 3800, Windows XP SP2, 1 gig RAM.

Graphics card: nVidia 6600 GT, 128 megs. All my visual settings are at LOW, trilinear.

Norton's is turned off; I have all background processes turned off. No Ageix card.

My Realtek sound, Ageix and nVidia drivers are all up to date. My hard drive is defragged.

OK, here's what happens. In singleplayer, the game will be going along fine, then suddenly the screen will freeze up with a blue sky top half, and a black bottom half. I have no idea why. I need to shutdown and restart my computer to get out of it.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what's going on?

TIA.

:unsure: Ithink you will find that your GFX card (although a supported 6600) cant hack it with only 128mb. The minimum specs were far to low IMO i used to get the same thing with a 6600LE with 256mb :wall: Didnt get a decent game till i uped the RAM to 2GB and changed to a 7950GT 512MB GFX card ;)

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...st&p=487993

This may help you getting past those trigger points (in :AW) that are creating the bottleneck for your CPU, RAM, and GPU.

As per your PM- the NVIDIA Control Panels performance/quality preference settings would more than likely be superceded by any user created profile (see above).

Hope you are able to tweak your way to the sweet spot for your system.

Related

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...st&p=484657

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...st&p=442145

Thanks NoQuarter. I turned off vertical sync, and now GRAW seems at least playable. I still get the problem, but maybe once or twice a session instead of six or seven times.

GRIN really did a crappy coding job on this game. If it weren't so absorbing, I'd toss it. GRAW 2 is much cleaner. Anyway, thanks for the help. A lot of people on the forums seem to run into this.

What screen resolution are you using? Have you tried lower?

Do you have a good enough power supply?

Well, I'm out of ideas. I swapped out my 6600 GT for an 8500 GT. I have vertical sync, anastropic and anti-aliasing turned off. All my settings are on low. I'm patched to 1.35. I even dropped my color quality to 16 bit. All my drivers are updated. My drive is defragged. Norton's turned off, along with unneeded background processes.

I still get repeated freezes -- the black screen/blue sky thing. I've been playing Tom Clancy games since 1999. GRAW-1 is the worst experience I've ever had. It's terrific when it works; but it never works for more than 10 minutes in singleplayer mode. Multiplayer so far seems unaffected.

Anyone else with any ideas? I would dearly love to play through this campaign, but the lock-ups during the missions are very frustrating.

BTW: Plenty of power, and running at 1024x768 resolution, 85 mhz screen refresh (max on my CRT for this res).

Edited by franx

Ok, update: FINALLY IT WORKS. In my nVidia 3D settings panel I forced off anistropic and anti-aliasing. I enabled triple buffering, and allowed the app to control vertical sync. I had already installed Coolbits 2 and NVTray/tweak. In Direct3D "vertical sync" in changed the 3 to 0.

I have no idea why this all matters, but I can now play GRAW with my videos settings at "high." Like I said earlier, when it works, GRAW is terrific. Now it works.

• 3 months later...

Ok, update: FINALLY IT WORKS. In my nVidia 3D settings panel I forced off anistropic and anti-aliasing. I enabled triple buffering, and allowed the app to control vertical sync. I had already installed Coolbits 2 and NVTray/tweak. In Direct3D "vertical sync" in changed the 3 to 0.

I have no idea why this all matters, but I can now play GRAW with my videos settings at "high." Like I said earlier, when it works, GRAW is terrific. Now it works.

Woe is me. Used nhancer and I modified the GRAW 1 profile with the things you've posted and I still get that video freeze thing. Like every 30 min of gameplay. Heck im still in the 1st mission loading the 2nd save slot! Its really frustrating. only once did I have an application crash to desktop and after that my screen colors are all screwed up so I had to reboot the pc again.

I always turn off my background programs whenever I play ANY game.

my specs: (copied from System Requirements Lab "Can You Run IT?")

patched to v1.35

Intel P4 dual core 3.06ghz

1014.1 MB RAM

Microsoft XP Home ed (Build Service Pack 22600)

Nvidia EVGA GeForce 6200 256mb

Video card driver version: 6.14.11.6921

DirectX 9.0c

Onboard sound Sigmatel audio

soundriver version: 5.10

Freedisk space: 15 GB

DVD: PHILIPS SPD2410L1

400 watts PSU

Monitor resolution 1024 by 768 (16 bit) @75 Htz

In-game settings:

Resolution 800 x 600 at 60htz

Trilinear, and all in low settings. disabled dynamic lighting

disabled EAX, sound quality reduced to low

Man I don't know why it is so hard to make this game work. Even in Half-life 2 or FEAR if you have a low end video card the game still looks nice and runs ok.

can anyone please help me?

Edited by cookie007

Hmm well I started playing GRAW1 on a amd X2 3800, 1 gig of ram, and a geforce 6600 witrh 256 mb memory. I had some crashes, UBI told me to do this and that, didn't work, only installing a second gig of ram worked. so that really would be the solution to your problem, memory isn't that expensive these days....

after a while I upgraded to a geforce 7600 GT and that did wonders too.... I could play on medium settings. After my new rig with a geforce 8800GTS 320MB OC a whole new world opened GRAW1 lets you play with graphic settings on high.....whow what a beauty. GRAW2 sadly didn't allow me to play on high, but the difference between medium and high wasn't so big in this game....

^

Your P4 should be more than enough to run the program, it's not the problem.

If the nHancer tweaks (reducing frame rendering) have not stopped the video freeze your last resort (if you have the slots available on your MoBo that is) is to add another gig of mem.

____

You post that it is occurring every 30 minutes...are you sure that it is random, or more likely, at a trigger point or graphically intensive sequence?

^

Your P4 should be more than enough to run the program, it's not the problem.

If the nHancer tweaks (reducing frame rendering) have not stopped the video freeze your last resort (if you have the slots available on your MoBo that is) is to add another gig of mem.

____

You post that it is occurring every 30 minutes...are you sure that it is random, or more likely, at a trigger point or graphically intensive sequence?

Not exactly every 30 min. I must say that it occurs during a specific area of the map. Im still on the 1st mission (Contact) on the 2nd save checkpoint where you already have 1 teammate and on route to the next one. Sometimes it occurs during a firefight in that area, sometimes when Im just running towards cover, etc.

(sigh) maybe I really need to add some more memory. Problem is my mobo's slots are all filled up with 2 sticks of 512mb memory. (sigh)

Ubisoft and Grin really F#####up the game if you ask me. The main purpose of having a set minimum system requirements is that if you meet the minimum, your rig SHOULD be able to play the game and not just install it. If a game like this requires that I spend more money in order for me to just play it, well I want my money back.

Edited by cookie007

• 8 months later...

Finally got it to work.

After having problems with Fallout 3 with a weird screen freeze/crash to desktop, I stumbled into a general fix which involved changing the value to of the pagefile size of the memory manager using regedit to hexadecimal = 18000000 (or 402MB).

Worked for Fallout 3 and Ghost recon Advanced Warfighter 1.

Hope this helps.