3rd Party Server Control GUI

They had mentioned a while ago that there might possibly be a remote admin BUT they have been silent cocnerning the server for quite some time now. I don't think anyone has seen any type of beacon port settings in any of the xml files. So I don't think it likely with the current version of the dedicated server. If they release a patch that enhances the server maybe.

I see remote admin, as an avenue for admins to gain alot more control over their server. With scripting automatic messages every few minutes for example or at the start of every round. With scripting automatic screenshots etc.

Hopefully GRIN will come through for us and give us this capability.

Yeah, FF, I wasn't really inquiring directly of GRiN. I think this would more likely be a 3rd party-developed tool like N4Admin for Raven Shield or BF2CC was. I was just curious if anyone in the community was at work on this yet. With my limited programming skills I'm not certain what, if any, roadblocks there are to creating something like this, but it seems to me that it should be do-able. I can wrap my head around the mechanics of it and envision how it should work, but I'm not quite knowledgeable enough to actually do it myself.

Setps:

1)Find out IF the server is capable of receiving commands remotely over TCP or UDP or even other protocol.

2)Find out what format those commands need to be transmitted in.

3)Create a method of sending command in proper format.

We're still stuck at step 1 unfortunately.

You're going to be looking for a needle in a haystack with the number of possible ports. If they set up a listening port on TCP or UDP for connecting with a remote admin you could possibly find it. But you are going to have to form some sort of query for that port and spam the server on all ports to see if it responds. Then you can start trying to identify the responses.

Still, that's betting that the dedicated server is setup for for remote admin, which GRIN has yet to confirm. It would be reasonable to assume, that without a configuration for a listening port in any of the XML's that the capability just isn't in this version of the server. I'm not saying that this is absolutely the case, just that it's probable.