Raptor HD is it a must?

ok, I use my PC for gaming, photoshop and some movie maker 2. is it a must-have or would-be-nice to have?

36GB good enough for Windows OS, Win apps, then move rest of programs and games to 2nd HD?

:unsure:

It's "nice to have" I have 2x75GB Raptors and Windows and games do boot up faster. I can't really tell the diff otherwise.

The only benefit of the Raptor is its 10K spin speed. The drawback is storage. The future is likely that we will see solid-state (flash) drives for bootup/OS, and traditional HD's for high volume storage.

BTW, the 36.5GB version came out long ago. Are you getting a used one?

Since then, they released a 75GB version and the current ones are 150GB. They are nice and quiet, but may run a bit hotter, so make sure you have adequate airflow in your case.

Right now I use a 74GB Raptor as my OS and random application drive, while I use a 320GB Seagate as my game install drive. While the Raptor boots up quicker, I don't think they are worth the money unless everything else you have is really high end and you have more money to burn. I honestly wish I never bought both of my Raptors (had them in RAID, but it wasn't very stable, so I use one in my PC and gave the other to my brother).

Overall, I'd say you're better off going with a different drive for the money.

While the Raptor boots up quicker, I don't think they are worth the money unless everything else you have is really high end and you have more money to burn.

Exactly. There's no point getting a Raptor if other parts of your rig are in the low-mid range performance level.

While the Raptor boots up quicker, I don't think they are worth the money unless everything else you have is really high end and you have more money to burn.

Exactly. There's no point getting a Raptor if other parts of your rig are in the low-mid range performance level.

thanks guys, I need someone to bring me back to mother earth. :thumbsup:

Just to add my 2 cents:

I run 3x 150GB Raptor-X in raid 5 on my ASUS M2N32 WS pro motherboard as "C:" and like others have mentioned the speed diffrence is, not that much. The main thing I like is the RAID 5, no worries about c: and the 5 yrs warranty on the Raptor-X.

They are a luxury

fx62_0051_resize.jpg

fx62_0049_resize.jpg

fx62_0055_resize.jpg

I run 3x 150GB Raptor-X in raid 5 on my ASUS M2N32 WS pro motherboard as "C:" and like others have mentioned the speed diffrence is, not that much. The main thing I like is the RAID 5, no worries about c: and the 5 yrs warranty on the Raptor-X.

They are a luxury

NICE pix viiiper! Major droolage ... :drool::drool:

Nice cable management too!

Just curious what do you use that system for?

BTW, Samsung just came out with a 64GB solid state drive - that's bigger than the first raptor!

http://guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=5516