Windows Explorer Error

firefly2442

So I've got this issue that I can't seem to resolve. I've got a folder with a bunch of stuff in it on my desktop. Not always, but sometimes when I open it up, an error message report box pops up. It says the usual do you wish to report this error.. yada yada. Whatever I click, either don't send or send, my taskbar restarts and all my open folders close. My applications are usually OK and come back.

Are there hidden system files that maybe I can delete to fix this? Any ideas? Thanks. :)

I've seen this before, and have no idea as to the solution, but it's the video thumbnails that are causing it, for sure.

I hope you're using XP but, you can edit the folder properties. DO NOT OPEN the folder. just right-click and go to properties and make the folder a normal data folder. then the thumbnails will be gone.

added: just tried my method. anyway right-click the folder and go to properties. then goto the customize tab and where it asks "what kind folder do you want?" in the drop down menu, select "documents(for anyfile type)" then hit apply and the thumbnails should be gone and end of issue. :thumbsup:

-IamJAFO

Edited by IamJAFO

Yep; that's a good workaround and since my girlfriend's computer has the same issue, I've resorted to just using the command line to open files in folders that show this problem.

Apparently, the fix is to remove all your 3rd party codecs one by one until the problem goes away, and then see if the culprit codec has a more recent update. Xvid seems to be the most common one to cause this.

You can also unregister a specific .dll (you can find it if your Google-fu is even slightly decent) but it has the side effect of removing tooltips from certain files as well. May be worthwhile, but a little bit overkill for my tastes.