Mod trees & plants opaque (can't see thru)

Hi,

All the stock GR1 and expansion packs, and most mods display tree and plant foliage correctly, however some mods, including YOTM display them as big, opaque squares.

Needless to say, this makes spotting tangos a tad difficult. Is there some graphics setting I've missed (Radeon 7000 @ 32-bit z buffer, 8-bit stencil, DX9c), or are these mods flawed?

Thanks!

That card is on the low end by today's standards (32 MB). although GR was originally made for even lower cards (16 MB). More recent mods may require far more video memory than you have, so some textures like the trees may not load. It's not the mods that are flawed, but more the modders (myself included :( ) who may not keep the original specs in mind.

I have had similar anomalies on one community made map. The trees were viewed as large rectangles. In my case and others, setting the Tree Model Detail to 'high' in GR/options/graphics fixed it.

If that doesn't help, try updating your video card drivers.

A word of caution, in some cases updating them will cause more anomalies then what you started with. Happened to me a couple of times and I had to rollback to my previous version of vid drivers.

Yeah, I found setting tree quality to high does help, without too much performance penalty. I have another pc with a 64MB 9550, I will try YOTM in that to see if it can cope.

YOTM is an awesome, awesome mod (and I'm only halfway into the first mission). Certain plants are rendered as flat black squares (with green foliage visible), but there aren't so many as to ruin the game. Grasses are rendered such that you can see the horizon and other landscape details (like large boulders) through them, but not other plants. It makes for an eery effect and does give an added level of suspense, because you literally do not know if a vc might be lurking behind the next bush.

All other plants and trees are rendered normally, with tree quality on high.