Opening up co-op servers to others?

My main gaming buddy and myself are back into GR co-op full force. Last night we had a blast playing the Trafic Pack maps. Back in the day, we never used ASE or Ubi game service.

With VietCong and SWAT 4, I've opened my non-ded. server to the public but have some questions about that in GR:

Can someone join a GR co-op game that's already in progress?

In VC, the new player simply hops into the game that's in progress.

In SWAT 4, you get a message that someone has joined but they can't play until the current game is done. How does it work in GR? Does everyone have to "meet" at the same exact time to have a GR co-op game?

Is the only way to get guys to join is to send them your IP? Will my non-ded. server show up in ASE and if so, could they just jump in?

Is there a "max players" setting in GR somewhere that I have to make sure is set correctly? Or something else that might interfere with others joining?

TIA.

Can someone join a GR co-op game that's already in progress?

In VC, the new player simply hops into the game that's in progress.

In SWAT 4, you get a message that someone has joined but they can't play until the current game is done. How does it work in GR? Does everyone have to "meet" at the same exact time to have a GR co-op game?

They can join at anytime (and there will be an in game message when they join). However, they must wait until you complete the current game/mission before they can actually play.

Is the only way to get guys to join is to send them your IP? Will my non-ded. server show up in ASE and if so, could they just jump in?

You can "publish" your server via ASE so that others will see it, but I am not sure many people will see it if it is down the majority of the time -- I have never bother to discover the details, but it can sometimes be a pain to get ASE to scan a server that you had previously filtered out. Obviously you can also send your IP via your favorite IM service or email it to your friends. You will also find a number of "open" co-op servers listed on ASE (e.g. SD, ETF, PXS, and my favorite Alpha Squad 2 -- ok, so I am biased).

Is there a "max players" setting in GR somewhere that I have to make sure is set correctly? Or something else that might interfere with others joining?

There is a "max players" setting under your server setup screens, I forget which page it is on, but you will want to set it appropriatly.

GR is a bit infuriating that way, you can join a server at anytime, but until the current game finishes you have to sit in the lobby with nothing to do apart from watch the odd text message fly by. You can't even watch the action as a spectator :(

until the current game finishes you have to sit in the lobby with nothing to do apart from watch the odd text message fly by. You can't even watch the action as a spectator

Ouch! That's the same as SWAT 4 but at least you get to watch! I kind of like the VC method where they jumped right into the game and you had to give them text directions on how to find you. No waiting involved.

So if I start a co-op GR game, people won't see my server listed unless I do something?

Maybe I'm a little dense here but won't ASE automatically list my server when it's up and running? :blink: I know that GR doesn't have this itself, but I'm coming from games where all you have to do is start your server and people will see you in their server list. ASE doesnt' do this?

If I remember, GreyHaired, weren't you the guy who asked me to play with your group? It was years ago...and seems like a lifetime ago. :lol: If so, good to see you're still hanging around. :)

ASE does not search for servers, so you need to take some action to get your server listed. You do this by adding your server in ASE (I thin it is the INSERT key), and if you uncheck the "Private server" box the IP address will be "published" to the world -- i.e. random people will see your server.

I hope that helps