My first time online with GR and Intro :)

Hello everyone,

I have visited ghost recon a few times sinde a day or two, and as you can tell I only recently bought this game. Ironicaly the game was in my posession since year, it came with my gfx card, tho the patch made the cd non-functional. I always intended to try and get a replacement, but its just one of those things easily put off. I also noticed that it was a tactical squad based game and I generaly don't like those. I tried rogue spear and etc, swat 2/3 and I just didn't get into it. So I was reluctant to buy it. Two days ago I found a deal I couldn't resist (it was a war pack with 5 games for about €20) and it had the complete works of Ghost Recon.

I feared that working with seperate teams and giving orders that it would distract my attention from actually playing and thus enjoying the game, but it was fairly easy to do. Almost a matter of point and click and move forward step by step. Of course, it still had a rather steep learning curve, compared to most shooters I used to play. Mission one took me about a whole day (24 hrs) to complete, getting used to the game and etc. Mind you, that is on the EASY setting :rofl: I think I took about an hour ingame time to finish it. 59 minutes or so it says after completing. Tho it uses the MP name, so now it has been completed by defPlayer :rolleyes: I fixed that immediately.

I started doing some missions and getting used to the very different way of playing. I have played FPS games (bhd, vc, moh are one of my favs atm) prior to this and sim games (nascar/gp4/il2). I'm also one of the older gamers, so I kind of like the slow pace of GR compared to running like mad in quake/unreal type games :) (not to mention all the tricks they do, I'm not about to try a rocket-jump in GR using a bazooka).

I'm having a blast, that's for sure. And the game looks still good to me, and at least it runs smooth on my slow system with all settings up. Most upcoming games I won't be able to play anymore, and I can only hope that GR2 will.

Going online

Getting Ase and Ghost Recon to work over a router wasn't an easy task, but with some IM's back and forth I finaly got it to work. Yay.

The dueling went well, but got a bit boring. So I toyed around with some of the server settings and added some AI backup and made it a team vs team game type. At first I was having too much fun to notice some of the weird things, but the longer I played the more it showed.

I had a couple of times happening that an enemy shoots me in the back through a wall. At some points you could see the gun stick out.

In some areas I could see the enemy run for cover and its shadow would strangely flick over the wall. I tried shooting at it and to my amazement I got a kill that way. Other ways I got kills is by shooting the very top of a hat, in the hand or foot. I guess that's like instant bloodloss? Wink Don't get me wrong, I love the game, I'm just summing up a few things that I notice which most of you guys know about.

Is there a way to fix it by using a mod that doesn't permanently remove other thigns that I still use (like threat indicator and recticle etc). Tho the recticle might be the easiest to part with, since I can have an alternative view on the guns (with sights). not sure if that works for all guns, kind of like vc. haven't tried it.

Another thing that I noticed was that the AI can be complete idiots at one point and utter geniuses the next. For example, I tried setting up a small ambush using two corners and a doorway. I wanted to space the men a bit wide so they don't all get instant killed by a grenade, launched or otherwise. I wasn't able to do this. Whenever I picked a guy, even on hold, as soon as I move they move.

I also had one group near a doorway. I had my view across the side of the wall, but when I switched to another team they were all trying to get into the corner of the doorway o.O I had hope that they would direct fire the direction I was facing before switching. How can I do this better?

All in all I had a blast and we went on into the wee lil hours. We tried hooking up on other servers afterwards, but with him only having GR our choices were pretty slim.

Anyway, after having reconned the download section I figured an extensive AAR was necessary :P

Ciao Meow!

As I said in another thread MsKitty, welcome to GR.net.

The enemy AI can be frustrating at times, but other times it will blow your mind. If you wish to play MP, there are servers listed here and I along with others here host direct IP games. Mine is said to be newbie friendly. Drop by when I have it up. I have both DS and IT and am patched to 1.4.

If you wish to race sometimes, we even have a few racers around here along with pilots for iL2 and iL2: FB. If you need anything, just ask. :)

Yes the AI ranges from utter stupidity to inhuman genius :rofl:

As for the server, I usually play with a friend and he doesn't have all the expansions yet. Will be fixed soon enough tho :) I have the full set tho. Heh, for giggles I tried the OFP demo, but I guess I am already too much used to GR. Besides, GR looks more convincing, eventhough OFP has brilliant gameplay (I remember playing it a while back after seeing the chitchat with the two troopers).

I race cup/pta/trucks and as for piloting ... I used to have both Il2 and Forgotten battles, but I soon just stuck with Forgotten Battles, and I love to take a dive in the sky again. Been about 8 months since I last flew.

Tactical-Elite (click the button in my sig) has a fixed setup season going on if you're interested.

I would've raced last week but I was at the real thing. :D

Heya Crimson, thanks for the offer but I already race in two leagues (euro based), so I'm only looking for some 'no string attached' racing in a relatively green environment :)

I checked out the website and forums tho. Looking good. I can see the reason for needing TS, but I can barely run nascar lol. i never liked these voice thingies myself, its like a phone that never rings and never shuts up.

Me and a mate host some awesome co-op Vietcong games. Sometimes just me and him go out there hunting Charlie down. My mates is on the comms bringing down the airstikes, I'm on point (sometime I'm sniper, which means I'm not on point when I'm sniper). Sometimes we go in alone on Vietnam mode (no hud, no radar) with no medics/engineers, just us a riflemen, that's cool. And we play it how it's meant to be played, leap frogging etc. No rambo's, campers, 'nade spammers etc here (although the enemy AI often 'nade spam). The server is always locked too, so only those with a password can enter. We lock it to keep out all the people who spoil it.

**Nhut, go bake me a cake!!**

You wanna play on our VC server lemme know.

*.:Nightmare:. killed VC [Colt M1911A1]*

This reminds me that even though i had this game for two years i havnt been playing the multiplayer... ive only played like 3 times online or more which makes me a sprog.

Uh ... what the heck is a sprog? Eventhough it may mean that you think you won't do well, I still like to know what it means :)