RAID!!!

Anyone who has used RAID or is using RAID!!!

Hopefully some have got some tips and advise on getting the best out of it and any particulars with using it etc!!!

Any info people can give on it thru experience would be appreciated please :)! Not sure I am using it to its best effect and would like to know of the little things to get the best out of it etc....Cheers peeps :)!

Gee, I can't believe you guys don't know what RAID is used for!!!! It's used to kill those pesky bugs (roaches, ants, spiders, flies, etc.) that somehow seem to get into your house. It works GREAT! I recommend it to everyone! :lol::devil::stupid:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll let you guys get back on topic now... lol

But they must definitely for sure be the same size, but WK is right. The sync will be off if the cache isnt the same also. If the ATA rating is different, ie...ata100 and ata133, they will run at the slower speed. Its best to be identical if at all possible.

Don't try to reinstall windows if you don't know how to redo your configuration. I know from experience...All you will get is a "blue screen of death" sayin your hd's are corrupted. Windows will not recognize the config w/o its drivers. First, you must delete your raid and set one up exactly like your last one. Mine is a Raid 0, so I select "striping" in the RAID setup menu then put windows in to reinstall. It will give an option at the bottom to install any Raid drivers, you must do this or you cannot get it to work. So, insert the driver disk than it should continue the reinstall process. This was a problem that baffled me for a week or so until a friend helped me out.

LOL, thanx for replies .........

Thanx WK......I have got 2 x 120gb drives, just forgot to update my Sig rofl!!!

Phantom........I thought it was "Mirroring" that basically copied the data of ide-0 and striping just enabled it as another drive???? It's set to Striping at the moment and it doesn't copy ide-0 at all lol?????

I'm not too worried about mirroring at the moment TBH as striping seems to be fine (just want it as another drive basically) and all drivers etc are OK and it's absolutely fine, I was just wondering if anyone had any do's and don'ts kinda thing lol, and any other useful info on using it etc :o)!

I know the drives have to be exactly the same size for Mirroring, but can they be different sizes too if set to Striping??? Also, I can change the mode from Raid to SATA for the additional IDE chans, do you have to have a specific HD for use with SATA or will any drive work with it too, I suspect it's the former tho lol :)!

I've been following these postings, and I am curious here -

I know for Windows2000 Family, you have to "upgrade" the hard drive(s) to a "Dynamic Disk" configuration, prior to creating an Array.

- Basic can have partitions(up to four, or 3 plus one extended partition) for multiple-boot configurations on one disk.

- Dynamic can have only one Operating System/partition per hard drive, however you can create a Redundant Array of Independent/Intelligent Drives using:

Simple

Striped

Spanned

RAID-5

Mirrored

So, this is my question:

Is RAID configuration, with the appropriate controller, identical in performance to setting up multiple HDDs within the Operating System? (I realize that 3 or more HDDs need a controller, but you can still setup a 2-Disk Striped Volume within the OS.)

LMAO.......

Typical lol, one of the 120gig drives has a nasty fault and has gotta go back lol, too late now but may just get another extra one and consider using mirroring as I'm going to lose my system drive for a few days lol!!

See ya when I get it back lol!!!!