Getting a new computer

element11

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankx Papa, im gonna order that card, and i was also thinking about processor. I was thinking of one of these

AMD Athalon 64 x2 3800+ dual core

Or

AMD Athalon 64 4000+ single core

I'd go with the dual core, Single core is on the out according to my reading. AMD and Intel are both developing for multicore, I think intel will release a quad core CPU sometime in the year 2007 or 2008. but everything will go to multicore believe me. makes sense. both are dropping single core. example look at the FX60, it's a dual core high performance CPU that really is meant for gamers or just people who like the raw power or the latest and greatest bragging rights.

Added: please try to get a CPU with atleast 1MB L2 cache. this will yield way better results in gaming. maybe the AMD64 x2 4800 have the 1MB L2 cache. but don't quote me on that mate! :thumbsup:

added, yet again! check here...AMD64 x2 4800+ 2x 1MB L2 cache

The beauty of this cpu is you get the 2x 1MB L2 caches, but they can both communicate via the crossbar inside the processor, everything is done within the processor. Having the 2 big L2 caches will make your overall pleasure in computing great. I have a AMD64 3700+ which is a san diego core cpu, and it comes with 1MB L2 Cache and it rocks. Not all cores come with a 1MB L2 Cache, which sucks, but to save yourself some headache, once you get a CPU with a 1MB L2 Cache, you'll see a big difference.I have.

side note: Intel is designing a chip that will release in like...2008 that will have a 16MB L3 cache on the CPU die. So Intel is moving from it's current dual core setup on a FSB to on die, as it has been spanked for months by AMD.

Edited by Papa6

if that's what you want or can afford.um, If you can't get the x2 4800+ then you can get anyone you want.

my comment was only to stress performance. but you have to go within your allowed budget. I just know that AMD will release here within the next couple months, a new CPU socket and then all 939 stuff will drop drastically in price. So with this 939 system I have, i can easily afford to drop in a x2 4800+ myself next year.

Edited by Papa6

I dont have enough for a 1MB dual core processor, so should i get the 3700 or the 512k dual core?

Hey Element, sounds like we're trying to build similar systems. I also have the 6800GT, but don't have a system to put it in yet.

I was also looking at the AMD 64 4000+ for a processor. Then I saw this article linked to by fellow GR.net member GrayHaired. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/displ...pteron-165.html

Regarding the Opteron 165 Dual Core processor:

"On the one hand, it costs not that much, and on the other hand, it can be easily overclocked to the frequency of the top dual-core AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 processor. By the way, Athlon 64 X2 3800+ processors based on Manchester core can boast pretty much the same overclocking potential. On average, they overclock to 2.6-2.7GHz frequency. And it means that Opteron 165 would be a better buy than Athlon 64 X2 3800+ if we take into account the overclocking potential. Firstly, it is slightly cheaper, and secondly, it features a larger L2 cache that ensures higher performance."

It has the 1mb L2 cache on each core and according to the website, can overclock easily. And it can get to FX-60 territory...wow! And as of right now, it's on Newegg for $325.

I've only experimented a little with overclocking, but I'm going to give it a try with the Opty 165. If successful, I could have two cores clocked to the same speed as the 4000+ single core, with greater L2 cache, for about the same price and a little work.

Yeah i figured as much. What would be a way to put it back on if it did fall off? Is there a special clip? Or special glue?

It's not a paste, per se, but an adhesive.

Arctic Silver ASTA-7G (2-PC-SET) Premium Silver Thermal Adhesive - OEM

Not too bad price-wise, either!

if you OC your processor element, BE SURE to use a good quality cooling system, air...naw won't keep the processor cool enough...liquid, yeah that'd work just fine as well as the more expensive phase change cooling. but either way, you need to use a cooling system to keep your proc cool. OC one also shortens the life span of a processor.But if you're a bloke who upgrades every year or two, then I wouldn't worry 'bout the processors lifespan. the main issue to be concerned with is the extra heat you generate when you overclock your processor.

No plans for overclocking here, because yes, I am woried about my procesors lifespan. I spent almost an hour talking to the store clerk today, and we were talking about dual core vs single core. I dont really care for the extra performance with multitasking, and since this is a gaming machine, I thinking more along the lines of a cooler running athalon 64 3700+.

I just bought 2x sticks of corsair 1 gig DDR DIMM Modules 184 pin

Apparently corsair is one of the best manufacturers and they make very reliable and stable RAM

Also bought 1 80mm fan for the front of the case. Now i have one 80mm at the front blowing air in, and a 120 mm at the back blowing air out, along with the psu cooling fans. I think this should give very good airflow and keep everything nice and cool. I also have the option on mycase to install a side 80mm fan with a tube on the side of the case, which blows air directly to the cpu. I thnk this would be a good option for a dual core processor, cause theyre hot. If i get a single core, does anyone think a 2nd 80mm fan in the side is necesary?

This is the case side

slk1650bside.jpg

EDIT: we were also discussing video cards, and apparently the 6900GT PCIe is very hard to get these days, and is becoming outdated. He reccomended that for 50 or so dollars more, to get a 7800, and that will be a better card, so i thkn im going to go along those lines.

Edited by element11

No plans for overclocking here, because yes, I am woried about my procesors lifespan. I spent almost an hour talking to the store clerk today, and we were talking about dual core vs single core. I dont really care for the extra performance with multitasking, and since this is a gaming machine, I thinking more along the lines of a cooler running athalon 64 3700+.

I just bought 2x sticks of corsair 1 gig DDR DIMM Modules 184 pin

Apparently corsair is one of the best manufacturers and they make very reliable and stable RAM

Also bought 1 80mm fan for the front of the case. Now i have one 80mm at the front blowing air in, and a 120 mm at the back blowing air out, along with the psu cooling fans. I think this should give very good airflow and keep everything nice and cool. I also have the option on mycase to install a side 80mm fan with a tube on the side of the case, which blows air directly to the cpu. I thnk this would be a good option for a dual core processor, cause theyre hot. If i get a single core, does anyone think a 2nd 80mm fan in the side is necesary?

EDIT: we were also discussing video cards, and apparently the 6900GT PCIe is very hard to get these days, and is becoming outdated. He reccomended that for 50 or so dollars more, to get a 7800, and that will be a better card, so i thkn im going to go along those lines.

Sounds like you might have enough air going in as is. Probably the best way to tell if you need another cooling fan is to actually build your PC and then check your temps during high and low usage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the CPU, do i need heatsink compound? Theres a little rubber pad on the bottom of the heatsink where it touches the chip. Will this take the place of the heatsink compound? Also, it is a bit smeared (dont know why), does this matter?

I have built my computer and am about to install the operating system. Thank you to everyone who helped me put together my hardware, and I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that everything will work okay.

I just have a couple questions.

Is there a way to transfer files between one computer and another if theyre in the same room? I know there is, but how could I do it, they both have windows XP. Could I use a broadband cable to link the 2 computers together?

Also, once I have installed everything, how do I check my computer's temperature? What is a good temp for everything to be at??

Thanks again, so much, I am so happy, I hope everything works okay, and hope I didnt screw anything up. I do think I put too much heatsink compound on though :(