The American Future - A History By Simon Schama

Dick Splash

I've got into BBC's iPlayer and if you're not familiar with it you can watch any programme that's aired over the last seven days. Watch this now before you errrrrr....can't any more. This is the second of a four part series and the third airs tonight in the UK. A few years ago he presented a very good 'History Of Britain' series which is available on DVD.

DS

I've got into BBC's iPlayer and if you're not familiar with it you can watch any programme that's aired over the last seven days. Watch this now before you errrrrr....can't any more.

DS

errrrr......puke? Is that the word you were looking for? :nono:

Edited by durka-durka

Lost me...? :blink:

DS

I got an obama promotional video made by the BBC. About as political as you can get.

Edited by durka-durka

I got an obama promotional video made by the BBC. About as political as you can get.

I'm sick of hearing about Obama. The guy is a crackpot, and one can never be sure which side of his mouth he's speaking out of. All politics aside, I wouldn't trust him to care for my damn cat, much less an entire country.

Sorry lads, it's got a bit off topic here...by default it seems. It would appear that the link I can see and obviously all in the UK can or could see, is the topic's link. The fact that the US on their US purchased PC's can only see an Obama political video. I've been unable to see full length Stephen Colbert and John Stewart show links whilst in the UK, but they weren't replaced by a British political video. What's going on there? Don't tell the conspiracy media, they'll be all over it. Alex Jones would lose even more sleep. :D

DS

This is the description to the video I got. Seems to go along the lines of the topic, although I'm thinking the "war" part might be what you were referring to? (i hope)

The American Future: A History, by Simon Schama

episode: American Fervour | series: The American Future: A History, by Simon Schama | /programmes page | iplayer page

Faith helped create America - it was the search for religious freedom that led thousands to make the dangerous journey to the colonies in the 1600s. After independence was won, that religious freedom was enshrined in the constitution; America was the first country in the world to do so. Simon also looks at the remarkable role the black church has played, first in the liberation of the slaves in the 1800s, and again in the civil rights movement of the 1960s; neither would have happened without its religious activists. It is this very church that has been the inspiration for Barak Obama, who traces the roots of his political inspiration to his faith.

EDIT

Either way, I looked up the description of "American War" and it doesn't look too promising...

The American Future: A History, by Simon Schamaepisode: American War | series: The American Future: A History, by Simon Schama | /programmes page | iplayer page

In American War, Simon reveals how different the American attitude to war is from what outsiders assume it to be. Two of the founding fathers, Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton, disagreed about whether America should even have a professional army - a division still evident when Simon visits America's premier military academy at West Point. From the Civil War right through to Mark Twain's denunciation of President Teddy Roosevelt's imperial adventure in the Phillipines, American wars have inspired profound debate. And nowhere more so in the 2008 election than San Antonio, Texas, nicknamed Military City because of its high population of veterans and serving soldiers, where Simon finds feelings about the war are deeply divided. As with the great war elections of the past, it's a debate which forces America to dig deep and rediscover what it stands for.

Lost me...? :blink:

DS

What's even worse is that while I don't get a movie with the iPlayer link that was posted the second go round, there is a YouTube clip with Obama at a rally it appears (didn't watch it).

I fear more attacks by terrorists if he wins. I am with you Para, I don't trust him.

Now, as we all know, political discussions are not allowed here and so we do not have to lock this thread, lets keep it that way, lest it has to be removed.

I'm sick of hearing about Obama. The guy is a crackpot, and one can never be sure which side of his mouth he's speaking out of. All politics aside, I wouldn't trust him to care for my damn cat, much less an entire country.

Sorry lads, it's got a bit off topic here...by default it seems. It would appear that the link I can see and obviously all in the UK can or could see, is the topic's link. The fact that the US on their US purchased PC's can only see an Obama political video. I've been unable to see full length Stephen Colbert and John Stewart show links whilst in the UK, but they weren't replaced by a British political video. What's going on there? Don't tell the conspiracy media, they'll be all over it. Alex Jones would lose even more sleep. :D

DS

Thanks for clearing that up, DS! It's a shame we can't see the video that you're trying to link; we watch BBC America quite often here at home, and it's disappointing to miss out on what's probably a quality production.

BBC has some good stuff. Many of the people making docs are usually trying to figure out what's going on, rather than presenting evidence to support what they think is going on. Hope that made sense, lol.

BBC has some good stuff. Many of the people making docs are usually trying to figure out what's going on, rather than presenting evidence to support what they think is going on. Hope that made sense, lol.

There's been quite a bit of coverage of the First World War lately, even interviewing one of the last remaining veterans. Michael Palin, of Monty Python fame, recently presented a BBC Timewatch programme called 'The Last Days Of World War One'. For years Timewatch has had some fantastic documentaries, covering many subjects. I like to see and hear about dark history, it's often thoughht provoking.

Anyway, if you can 'see' BBC's iPlayer, here it is. ;)

DS