number of .ATRs per actor

I noticed most mods have the same number of .atrs for each soldier type that the default GR has: rifleman=76, demo=59, etc etc. Is there any reason I can't use fewer? Like only 40 .atrs for each actor type?

I only have about 25 different faces, so after that it's just the same soldiers being recycled anyway so it's not like I would be losing any variety with fewer .atrs.

Edited by bigcat75

I just tried to remove one of the riflemen from the origmiss folder and I had no problem.

I'm pretty sure that there is a minimum number after you have a crash.

In the original game you have 15 missions and in every mission you can pick 6 soldiers that could be, for example, all riflemen. In case you loose 5 men in all 15 mission you can run out of actors as dead actors can't be chosen.76 riflemen is a good choice then considering no-one can be so bad :)

Since all equipment mods are made to be used with original missions we stich to the RSE "standard" (Also the new EFD mod wll follow this rule)

I've seen one character mod which had just a few rifleman .atr's, I think it was ten. But you know, with the tools available for creating mods, making it so easy, I can't think of a good reason not to go ahead and keep to the default structure. If you're using BjB's atr generator, it's just a matter of entering xx number of atr's and click "Go".

thanks guys. the main thing I was concerned with is whether or not the game would use default characters to make up for the empty slots. It doesn't appear so. But you gotta good point, I'm sticking to the stock format. It's not like a few more text files take up any hdd space, lol.

I only have about 25 different faces, so after that it's just the same soldiers being recycled anyway so it's not like I would be losing any variety with fewer .atrs.

There's nothing wrong with recycling. In fact, the more people that recycle, the better on the environment it will be. :)

thanks guys. the main thing I was concerned with is whether or not the game would use default characters to make up for the empty slots. It doesn't appear so. But you gotta good point, I'm sticking to the stock format. It's not like a few more text files take up any hdd space, lol.

This is instead true. It was something I didn't think about but reading your comment I wanted to try by myself and found it out.

I put on mod mod currently in development only 20 rifleman and started a mission. Well, out of 6 rifleman to be selected, only 1 was mine, the other 5 were stock rifleman. I repeated the test and found out similar results.

I put on a mod currently in development only 20 rifleman and started a mission. Well, out of 6 rifleman to be selected, only 1 was mine, the other 5 were stock rifleman. I repeated the test and found out similar results.

I was thinking it would use only the mod characters, but I see you are correct, because I accidentally left my demolitions .atrs at 56 instead of 59, and yes there was a default demo character in the menu.