upgrading from XP to vista made easy

Papa6

Article link: Extremetech.com

My recommendations: use the Vista upgrade advisor at Microsoft.com to determine if you'll have issues upgrading your current PC. It is a comprehensive tool that will alert you to potential issues that could cause you problems.

Drivers!, Drivers! and more Drivers! I can't stress this enough. Vista's way of dealing with hardware is new. So vendors have to develop drivers differently and this means Vista only drivers. this is now where the old saying of "use only certified drivers" is important.

But I recommend doing a upgrade from within XP than a clean install.has to do with your current system settings. But now Vista uses what are called "component manifests" that tell windows how to migrate your data during the upgrade(taken from the extremetech article)

1)Defrag your drives

2)BACKUP your data! perhaps the most important thing to do.

3)aquire your device drivers for Vista. You should do this before you upgrade and burn them to CD/DVD.

just some things to consider BEFORE you make the jump. I did a clean install and that didn't fair too well which by the way, was what the article above says I shouldn't have done.

-Papa6