Noisy feet

We've had the discussion here at the office, whether we should take the realism or gameplay into consideration when it comes to the sounds.

As the sounds are now, I have matched the triggering of sounds exactly to the movement (the animation) of the character:

• if the soldier sets his foot down hard, it produces a harder sound (ie when running)

• if he sets his foot down carefully, it produces a softer sound (ie when walking)
  • if he drags his foot or knee, it produces a a quite loud dragging soung (ie when shuffling on crouch position)
  • if he's crawling, there are both dragging noises and a lot of gloth rustling

It is actually more stealthy to hold the shift key down and "crouch run" instead of "crouch shuffling", because then you put your feet down flat on the surface rather than dragging them along.

This makes shuffling, and crawling, the loudest ways of moving around - despite the fact that someone who keeps a low profile like that probably wants to be unseen and unheard. In reality, someone crawling over a field of gravel makes a lot more noise than someone who walks across. This is a good example of reality and gameplay in conflict.

Even though it goes against reality, do you think shuffling and crawlig should be the most silent forms of moving? Just out of curiosity, do you think I made the wrong decision?

Desmond, but if I'm on the industrial map, and on the 3rd floor, i shouldn't be able to hear people like I'm next to them either though. That's worse than having sensors.

You mean it's as if the engine only takes horizontal distance into consideration when calculating the distance to a sound source? ...that if you stand on the third floor, and someone is 10 meters below you and 2 meters in front of you, the sound is as if the person is 2 meters in front of you, rather than 10 meters away?

If so, it sounds like you have some problems with your sound card. Is it an on-board one?

You mean it's as if the engine only takes horizontal distance into consideration when calculating the distance to a sound source? ...that if you stand on the third floor, and someone is 10 meters below you and 2 meters in front of you, the sound is as if the person is 2 meters in front of you, rather than 10 meters away?

Yep, I get the impression too, that when you are on different levels (height) the sound is too loud..it feels like you are basically next to each other, even if there is a 10 meter height difference...

First off, if you want sounds to be muffled by objects (buildings, etc), you need to have EAX switched on.

add the EAX to server options so then its the same for the whole server why would anyone want to put EAX on if it will only make them not hear as well so they are now at a disadvantage... I would rather hte sounds are more realistic for the volume and range at which they are heard ... I will run around shooting at cars hopeing ot set off alarms in order to cover my movement sounds ..

I also agree that turning of EAX should not give you an advantage..if it does so? (no muffling by buildings)...haven't tried it, but I will...

If so, it sounds like you have some problems with your sound card. Is it an on-board one?

I have an Audigy4 board no onboard sound.

I think most ppl if not all find the sounds travel extreamly far ive seen many posts where ppl talk about hearing others walking a zone and a half away... I personally have been on the top floor of a building and heard the walking and thought the person was on the stairs coming to my floor but they were actually at the back of hte building on the ground floor.. oh well maybe some modder out there will do a sound mod

Des, Just a thought...Could these, 'false loud moving sounds' be a problem associated with the 'vague hit sounds' which you are currently addressing???

PS I'm running an SB Audigy 2 ZS (Dell). Settings: High, EAX: on