Update on Domination Map

-Corax-

I'm posting 8 screens from the smaller condensed map, if anyone has any suggestions, comments or maybe some expertise I would like to correct some of the problems I've been encountering during this debunking stage.

debug_001.jpg

debug_002.jpg

debug_003.jpg

debug_004.jpg

debug_005.jpg

debug_006.jpg

debug_007.jpg

debug_008.jpg

edit: duh... not the city set the shanty set... but I know for sure that the shanty set textures show up for me in the city set or at least the _fence and _wall props do... wierd

I'm not sure but I believe the shanty objects to be part of the City set. It looks to me that your using the Industrial set so the textures won't show up. Wille mentioned something about moving these objects to the set your using but I havnt figured it out set.

I have no idea whats causing the black spots increasing passes may work.

Map looks good.

Edited by uZeal

Hate to bump this but does anyone know what is causing those really dark shadows in the sewers, industrial level maps?

Only thing i can think of is the developer didnt intend for ppl to see that area, i found that on the terrain also. Little black holes on the ground, but the good news is i was able to lay gravel patches over them and now it all looks the same. For you i would just find some objects in the game and cram them into those black spots(refering to the small black spot in the sewer, but you get what im getting at)... like a few boulders or something so the black cant be seen anymore.

good luck... map looks nice. Reminds me of Halflife 2 for some reason

Edited by Wrath

I'm not sure but I believe the shanty objects to be part of the City set. It looks to me that your using the Industrial set so the textures won't show up.

You are right that he's using industrial and that's why shanty houses don't show up. But the shanty houses are of course parts of the shanty set :whistle:

There should be some similar industrial small houses which have basicly the same proportions.

The black spots, do they appear in the editor as well?

corax corax corax

stunning work on that map, so much depth and a brilliant battle battlefield shaping up.

i mentioned this in another post Bumbi, but ill say again, why prevent the use of certain objects just beacuase its technically an 'industrial' map not a 'shanty' map? silly.

as far as the black spots, i noticed on a couple of objects i tested that there are elements on some of them that are not supposed to be visible, but hiddden from view. may be the case with these, if the objects have been rotated to suit your layout.

the train track change object did the same for me, with the flickering. it appears to be reacting like it is overlapping another object which has the effect of killing the lightmapping on the object and creating blackness or flickering. i would reposition or try to place it just off the ground or another texture maybe which might eliminate the object overlap.\\

beautiful work so far corax

kudos

...i mentioned this in another post Bumbi, but ill say again, why prevent the use of certain objects just beacuase its technically an 'industrial' map not a 'shanty' map? silly. ...

kudos

This is because of texture limits, not to prevent you from using your imagination.

Small shanty houses uses textures of the shanty set, which should not be loaded together with the industrial ones.

This is because of texture limits, not to prevent you from using your imagination.

Small shanty houses uses textures of the shanty set, which should not be loaded together with the industrial ones.

I asked this in another thread also but why would the editor let you choose an object from a different set list if it won't render correctly?

I'm not sure but I believe the shanty objects to be part of the City set. It looks to me that your using the Industrial set so the textures won't show up.

You are right that he's using industrial and that's why shanty houses don't show up. But the shanty houses are of course parts of the shanty set :whistle:

There should be some similar industrial small houses which have basicly the same proportions.

The black spots, do they appear in the editor as well?

I used these in the props folder. There are three shanty homes available in the props folder starting with the 'ghe_ ' prefix... I'm trying to export it once more, using the var01 shanty home... the texture appear slightly different (in the editor) but I guess you folks at GRIN would know, I'm just guessing on what's there.

No, the black areas don't appear in the editor, I'm currently exporting it to 4 times vs default 3 times... I'm hoping it will correct the problem. It's quite possible its my graphics driver... I will test later on other machine later, hopefully I will be able to post the file after its finished crunching. I checked this morning it's over 50% in calculating the light maps, another 6 hrs to go it estimates. I'm at work at the moment, if everything goes well it should be done when I get home.

Thanks for the input GRIN_Bumbi...

Edited by -Corax-

I used these in the props folder. There are three shanty homes available in the props folder starting with the 'ghe_ ' prefix... I'm trying to export it once more, using the var01 shanty home... the texture appear slightly different (in the editor) but I guess you folks at GRIN would know, I'm just guessing on what's there.

No, the black areas do not appear in the editor, I'm currently exporting it to 4 times vs default 3 times... I'm hoping it will correct the problem. It's quite possible its my graphics driver... I will test later on other machine later, hopefully I will be able to post the file after its finished crunching. I checked this morning over 50% in calculating the light maps, another 6 hrs to go it estimates. I'm at work at the moment, if everything goes well it should be done when I get home.

Thanks for the input GRIN_Bumbi...

Ouch at 50% and still 6 hours left, what are you using high resolution? My map at medium and 4 passes only took 1.5 hours... but when I put it at high res it jumped to 15 hours, I guess there is a reason they recommend medium for most maps :wacko:

...i mentioned this in another post Bumbi, but ill say again, why prevent the use of certain objects just beacuase its technically an 'industrial' map not a 'shanty' map? silly. ...

kudos

There are actually 3 buildings (shanty type) in the props folder with the 'ghe_' prefix they also have var01 as an option... I chose var01 when I re-exported. I'm hoping this will correct the problem...

So does this mean prop textures and static object textures are separate or are they one of the same?

Ouch at 50% and still 6 hours left, what are you using high resolution? My map at medium and 4 passes only took 1.5 hours... but when I put it at high res it jumped to 15 hours, I guess there is a reason they recommend medium for most maps :wacko:

No harm really I'm at work... I upped the passes from 3 to 4, plus I added more content from the original. I think the resolution is still at medium... I did try it on high but it crashed during export.

My first try it estimated 6.5hrs but took only 4hrs...

Generally props textures and building textures are separate, but in the cases where there is his_ ghe_ ind_ and such they are not and can only be used with thier own set. Otherwise you WILL get checkered textures.

:shifty: But you did mention you can crop them out... I will give that a go later today...