The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

krise madsen

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a possibly useful tweak for the game that is being posted about

VSync is automatically on and can't be disabled from within the game. This not only reduces FPS, it also introduces mouse lag.

To disable VSync in Skyrim, add iPresentInterval=0 to the bottom of the [Display] section of the Skyrim.ini file in the \Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory.

My Collector's Edition should arrive tomorrow with any luck. I foresee myself spending two hours in the character customiser even before getting into the game proper.

Still can't figure out how they've scaled it so well, 5 GB, and there's like over 300 locations (and reportedly, no two locations are remotely similar AND there's a variety of environments including a desert area in one place), top tier graphics, content of over 70 voice actors, thousands of customisation options, etc, and it's a brand new engine. How the hell does that fit into 5 GB?

Edited by WytchDokta

Some good tweaking ideas and advice here

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1255692-skyrim-pc-ini-and-console-tweaks/

one in particular is to turn TreesReceiveShadows ON as it gives trees more depth

EG:

another is to turn ON DrawLandShadows for rocks Etc to cast nice subtle shadows

and as noted in the linked thread it is simple to turn "QuestMarkers" and "Compass" off for those who desire this by just changing the lines in the ini file from default setting of "1" to 0"

also can adjust FoV

Details of the Day 1 patch:

UPDATE 1.1 NOTES

BUG FIXES

*General optimizations related to stability and performance.

*Essential followers recover properly if player fast travels away.

*Fixed rare instances of dragons flying improperly though objects after player exits an interior.

*Fixed rare instance where the a music track would not stop playing properly.

*Autosave message properly displays when going through a load door.

*The fifth level of the Light Fingers perk correctly calculates the Pickpocket skill bonus.

*Enchanting an item to improve the Sneak skill properly calculates the bonus to the player's Sneak skill.

*Enchanting an item to improve the Lockpick skill properly calculates the bonus to the player's Lockpick skill.

*Corpus Enchanter perk properly calculates bonuses to stats for the player’s new enchantments.

QUEST FIXES

*Fixed rare issue where a character would not arrive properly to the Thalmor Embassy during Diplomatic Immunity.

*Rescue/Attack on Fort Neugrad will trigger properly if player travels to Fort Neugrad by foot.

*In To Kill an Empire, Gianna will now talk to player with certain diseases.

*Fixed rare instance of Civil War battle not starting properly if player receives a Companions quest from Farkas.

*During Brelyna's Practice, fixed rare issue where the player could be permanently invisible.

*Triggering combat in Largashbur no longer stops progression to The Cursed Tribe.

*Fixed rare instance where fighting a Civil War battle during The Fallen would prevent the Jarl of Whiterun from accepting their axe in Message to Whiterun.

*In The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller, fixed rare instance where Arngeir would not teach player the last word of Unrelenting Force.

*In Taking Care of Business, fixed issue where Brynjolf would not give player this quest if Talen Jei was dead.

There's a glitch with the floor of the blacksmithy in Riverwood - sometimes when you arrive there, the texture for the floor will not be displayed and you will walk through the floor, as will NPC's. Going into the trader's shop and returning fixed it for me.

Pave, what race did you choose? Let me guess - Argonian? Everyone seems to be choosing Argonian probably because of their Histskin greater power. What they seem to forget is, the Khajiit greater power costs NO MANA when used AND can be toggled on/off at will, unlike the greater powers of other races. So there. Khajiit FTW. :P

Yes, you guessed it, I choose Khajiit for my first character. That's right, got three characters on the got ATM, as I like to experience the game from all aspects - I have an Orc (not using Archery skill, and not much using magic) and a Dark Elf too. Not sure I like some of changes to the races greater powers - replacing the Dark Elves 'Ancestral Guardian' with a greater power that allows them to set themselves on fire? What's all that about? Oh and no 'Woad' greater power for Nords? :(

Don't know if you guys know this or not, but at the start of the game, after the dragon attack, you can choose which way to go - at one poibt you'll cross paths with one of the other Stormcloaks while you're with the Imperial Legionnaire. At this point you can follow either one of these character into the Keep, and following the Stormcloak potentially has better benefits - you will find two sets of Iron Armour (but will need to kill the Legionnaires wearing them to obtain the armour), and you'll have 12-16 Lockpicks BEFORE you reach torture room where you can unlock one cage. So, going that way would be better for races who make better use of heavy armour, such as Nords, Orcs, and Reds. Worthy of note too, is the reward you receive for siding with the Stormcloaks and following them through the keep - you'll talk to a different person in Riverwood to turn in for the quest, who will in turn will give you a key for their house where you'll have your own room and some space to store stuff. This is a far better reward than the one you get for siding with the Legionnaires IMO.

Enemy types in the same areas have been different across my 3 character builds. Also guys, for some fun, head to a weird looking map symbol (looks like, I dunno, a serpent or squid or something) near where you fight the first dragon. You'll encounter Giants and/or Mammoths at those locations (if both enemy types are present they WILL NOT fight each other), and the Giants seem to be able to one hit instakill anyone/anything. So like I said, good fun, especially for a melee-centric character like Orcs (whose boosted health is even negated by a Giant's attack)

Anyone having trouble with the puzzle in the mine/ruin where you retrieve the Golden Claw? Keep going after you get the claw and you'll eventually encounter a puzzle consisting of three circles and a lock for the Golden Claw. The sequence to unlock it is not actually the same sequence as displayed by the carvings on the walls of the room. Took an hour or so with my first character (Khajiit) to figure out how to solve the puzzle and unlock the door.

Oh, and the Collector's Edition comes in a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge box.

Edited by WytchDokta

There's a glitch with the floor of the blacksmithy in Riverwood - sometimes when you arrive there, the texture for the floor will not be displayed and you will walk through the floor, as will NPC's. Going into the trader's shop and returning fixed it for me.

Oh, not had that one (have used the Grindstone, Tanning + Table & Forge several times)

I did get the problem in "Unbound" just after the fight where the Torturer Assistant dies and the cave collapses (when accompanying Hadvar) that the game froze (answer is to run to the river then it doesn't freeze as out of "sound" range)

*I also subsequently changed the sound to 24 bit, 44100 Hz as recommended on numourse threads as the fix for majority of sound problems (so this may have fixed it but I haven't tried just walking through the collapsing bit on subsequent to see if it fixed it)

apart from that I have only had one CDT but it occurred not long after a "quest checkpoint" save so just launched Skyrim again and only had to play a minute of game to get back to the previous location.

Have everything on Ultra or high and it looks Fantastic, I still constantly find myself "just turning around to look around" and admire the game world :D (and then usually getting bitten by a mud crab hiding in the water/grass :lol: )

Pave, what race did you choose? Let me guess - Argonian?

What ? me as a "Silurians" :lol::P

Actually for my initial "just learning and looking around for fun" character I chose a Nord

it worked out well (Esp as discovered they have resistance to cold) but after completing the barrow and playing for 3 hours I noticed that the "style" I was naturally adopting was heavily into "Destruction"(flames), "One-handed"(sword w Mace/Axe), Archery and that I wasn't playing much Two-Handed (as mainly prefered a shield or Fire/Heal in other hand).

so when stopped after the first night, next day then chose a primary character and start playing again "for keeps", Having put all the reported "Race points" in a table it showed the initial high starting points for a Redguard was a pretty good match for how I had been playing initially (Eg with 25 for One-handed, 20 for Destruction, 20 for Archery, 20 for block)

and it was only when had chosen the character found their "Race bonus" was a 50% natural resistance to Poison, which should come in handy.

played through "Bleak Falls Barrow" again and really buffed my stealth points by sneaking and bow "sneak" sniping targets and then going in close to finish off with Sword + shield/fire/heal combo to work those points too and after several side quests then played through "Dragon Rising" (man the Dragon fight was cool, after initial bow/arrows I went with Frost attack (as it was a fire beastie) which worked well (and heal spell+potions) and finished off with Sword)

Don't know if you guys know this or not, but at the start of the game, after the dragon attack, you can choose which way to go

Yeah I had spotter the "go with either" bit but I always just went with Hadvar and he seemed an Ok bloke and family in Riverwood were nice particularly getting to use the forge Etc and help self to a few ingots

but I had wondered what would happen if went with Stormcloaks how much it would change story arc or any different/better quests

managed to find a few Lockpicks so able to open cage in torture room fine

who will in turn will give you a key for their house where you'll have your own room and some space to store stuff. This is a far better reward than the one you get for siding with the Legionnaires IMO.

Ahh yeah had read threads on storage place tactics and someone said about "can get given a room and own chest in Riverwood" (not elaborated on) but option hadn't happened to me, but that would explain why then

Yeah, I REALLY need storage space, have been leaving heavy stuff in various places hoping would still be there then selling most of it as soon as can even if price not great

Have recently got the offer of house but just short of the gold to buy it and after dragon am currently now loaded down with Dragon bones/scales so even more vital to find safe place as don't want to sell them just yet until have checked in case I may actually need them for something key.

the Giants seem to be able to one hit instakill anyone/anything.

on one of the weapons stats tables I saw a club hit points listed as 60!

(if both enemy types are present they WILL NOT fight each other)

Oh I just thought the Giants were farming some of the the mammoths like cattle ? (as Giants will attack you if you accidentally wound a mammoth they are hearding)

Anyone having trouble with the puzzle in the mine/ruin where you retrieve the Golden Claw? Keep going after you get the claw and you'll eventually encounter a puzzle consisting of three circles and a lock for the Golden Claw. The sequence to unlock it is not actually the same sequence as displayed by the carvings on the walls of the room. Took an hour or so with my first character (Khajiit) to figure out how to solve the puzzle and unlock the door.

Ah didn't you read Arvel's journal? :rolleyes: "the solution is in the palm of your hands" :P

Oh, and the Collector's Edition comes in a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge box.

Yeah would have liked the Art book but for the price I didn't really want need the Dragon however nice it is (also need somewhere to put it) plus the base is just plastic and have since read that the dragon doesn't sit properly on the base with claws out as it should

and while with STEAM version I was able to play straight away..... it took them over 24hrs to link to the game manual :wall: :wall: so a lot of unnecessary trial and error first night

Error in translation from DragonSpeak in my previous post. It should read that the Khajiit greater power has infinite usage, and can be toggled off by activating the power again. Khajiit is the only race who have a greater power that can be used an infinite number of times per day.

Found the second dragonstone yesterday, and I somehow managed to loose Lydia in the middle of combat. Compnions can't be killed and she wasn't with me when I fast traveled/waited.

Yes, according to the Wiki, Giants are passive but territorial and generally won't attack unless provoked or if their herd is attacked - they are herding mammoths.

I believe the Dragon bones/ scales can be used to forge dragon armour, although, I'm not sure who forges said armour.

EDIT: level 9 now with the Khajiit and I'm gonna put him on the sidelines for a while so as to focus on other character builds - I took the huge trek to High Hrothgar yesterday as my Khajiit (alone, as Lydia had previously buggered off somewhere, and does NOT return while fast traveling or wait and she is NOT dead, as companions can't be killed in game), ran into a Frost Troll, a few Wolves and a couple of Frost Wolves. And TBH, had a hard time, even with the damage bost from critical hits from an Orcish bow, followed by using Flames to burn them bitches up whist smashing their heads with an Orcish axe didn't seem to do much. in the end I loaded an earlier save and just Sneaked past them all.

I've got my Dark Elf as a fire demonette (yes, female -my other characters are male - seeing as there's just something about blue-skinned female humanoids :P ). I purchased some more fire spells, one like the Fireball spell from Oblivion (ranged, thrown fireball) and one that allows the placing of a fire rune on the ground, which will explode in flame when an enemy nears it. Dark Elves receive the largest skill boost to Destruction, and the more you level up the Destruction, One-Handed, Two-Handed, etc, skills, the more damage you will deal. In short, this set up will allow me to do considerable fire damage to enemies, especially when combining the spells in combat - drop the fire rune spell at a chokepoint, switch to the fireball spell, and hit an enemy from range with it. They then run into the rune, taking more fire damage, then I finish them off with the Flames spell, or Ancestral Flames.

Might start a Nord build too. I choose Orc over Nord for my other character as I prefer the Berserk ability. However, playing through a few quests got me thinking. The Nords' Battlecry ability used in conjunction with the Unrelenting Force Dragon Shout could be quite a potent combination that gives you breathing room in combat - Battlecry will cause enemies to flee and Unrelenting Force will knock them down. Plus, the Frost resistance is higly beneficial if you want to obtain all the Dragon Shouts - you will first need to find Dragonstones, I've found two so far, and each Dragonstone is hidden in Draugr lair. Draugr are essentially undead Nords (retaining the frost resistance), and Restless Draugr will spam you with short ranged frost elemental attacks.

Edited by WytchDokta

Alright Elder Scrolls noobs, I'm having fun with my Nord warrior build. I'm doing a lot of Smithing, since Nords, Orcs and Reds receive a race bonus to the Smithing skill. I'm even going as far as looting dungeons, blagging armour and weapons that I have no intention of using off dedz enemies, bringing them back to a Smithy and upgrading them myself. Then of course selling them on, or selling on cheap knock-offs thereof (as you do). This way I not only boost my Smithing skill, but also boost the Speech skill when selling stuff I created (although you get very little money for stuff you created). With this build I also use bows, but unlike Reds, Nords get no bonus to the Archery skill - this isn't a problem as it saves money for Smithing, as I also hunt down wild animals, snipe them with the bow then take their hides to use at tanning racks in Smithy's. Turn that into leather strips then buy some Iron Ingots and knock up a million Iron Daggers = Smithy skill level to 100 fast. :) I also use the bows with the build for softening up enemies at range.

Ran into my second dragon on my from Whiterun up towards where you find Jurgen Stormcaller. I chopped 'e up proper gert I did. It seems a lot easier to do those execution kills with a sword and shield. As far as I can tell, it seems to happen when taking enemies by surprise in combat, and a shield bash helps.

Are any of you playing as a Wood Elf? I ask because like all with races, greater powers have been changed since Oblivion - this Command Animal ability, is that 'animal' as in bear, wolf, chicken, etc. Or is it 'animal' as in creature as in like Draugr or Frost Troll?

Oh and apparently companions CAN die, Lydia died during a quest on my Dark Elf build. It seems they get incapped first, then if they continue to take damage while incapped (such as me *ahem* accidently setting her on fire) they will die. Sven/Faendal in Riverwood can be recruited and will follow you into battle, depending which one you side with in their dispute - however, they both have no armour and rubbish weapons, so you'll need to arm them up - unlike Lydia. I hear that you can have up to 2 companions at one time however, only one can be human(oid), you can also have a dog. But I haven't found a dog companion yet.

Seems I've been having more difficulty killing enemies in this game than in its predecessor because the difficulty was locked at Adept level across all my character builds. Funny that, as I don't remember selecting such a difficulty. 'Adept' would appear to be 'Medium' in terms of difficulty as there are five difficulty levels with Adept being the third. So I knocked it down a bit and am getting on better in game. With the difficulty changed, I deleted the saves and rebuilt all my characters except Nordkore the (hardcore) Nord dragonslayer (of course, none of you here would know what 'nordcore' is. Let's just say, it's ideal mood music for Dragon smashing. :) )

I like how they've kept the AI's way of thinking as possessing no ability to reason, like in Oblivion - I encountered a Bear near an area with Giants and Mammoths. I was sneaking so he didn't see me, instead he went and tried to take on two Mammoths and Giant by himself.... And lost. Seriously, the Bear just charged right in, with no thought for level of danger. I swear he even roared 'Kamikazeeee' in Bearspeak as he did it. Another funny thing was when I found an area with a Dragon near to a Giants and Mammoths area. The Dragon was already circling and got a visual on me, so I ran back towards where the Mammoths and Giants were to see what would happen. Dragon fought Giant, and Giant fought Dragon. You'll never guess who won.... HULK SMASH!! - The Giant smashed that Dragon's head.

LMAO, I'm so going to do that.

Being an inquisitive player (that is, not leaving an area until I've searched every last inch for loot, and deliberately heading in the opposite direction to waypoints to look for loot), I found an annexe area of the Labyrinthian where you'll find some second highest tier - Ebony level - equipment. The problem is obtaining them as two Draugr Deathlords are carrying said equipment, and those Deathlords are a much higher level than the player - so you can understand, they are VERY hard to kill (atleast for lower level players). Put it this way, I went in there as my Orc facebreaker, went Beowulf on them using the Berserk Rage along with a superior level Steel Greatsword and all superior level Steel Armour, and I still one Deathlord must've withstood around 20 direct hits whilst I lost half my health. Yet Berserk Rage mode doubles your damage output whilst halving damage taken. That one dropped an Ebony Bow. The second one is one floor below, which can be accessed either from a door outside on that level OR through the circular hole in the room with the first Deathlord. But before droppoing down, head out back through the doorway in the room with the first Deathlord to find a chest with leveled equipment - I found an Elven Bow along with other things in that chest. Now, as for the second Deathlord - he is considerably easier to kill if you've got a good Archery skill and increased damage perk with bows. Down the circular hole is three beams to break your fall, land on each one in turn but DO NOT jump down to the floor (unless you intend to get mauled). From the last beam the Deathlord should be visible, so snipe him. He will likely come over to your position, stand underneath the beam and use a Dragon Shout, which, if you're in the correct position, will be blocked by the beam. He will then move towards the door on that level keading outside, but will get stuck in the doorway (probably a glitch as he can't seem to work out how to use the door to get outside), so you can sit up on your perch and keep sniping his left leg.

Also, if you're a bit of a rock climber like me (why go the long way around, when you can go across by rock climbing?). You can access the Labrynthian from the nearby Dragonstone area after killing the dragon. Problem with doing it that way is that when you exit the Deathlord lair through the lower level, you'll run into three Ice Trolls outside.

I also managed kill the Deathlords with my Khajiit, not sure how though as melee damage output is lower than my Orc, and Lydia got incapped in the fight too. Might have been something to do with spamming health potions during the fight.

Found another recruitable companion too, Anneke. Now if I could only find some Quicksilver ore/ingots for my Khajiit, then I can knock up some Elven weapons.

Edited by WytchDokta

Actually, I don't have my characters wear helmets unless they are set as a 'Warrior' class as it were - frontline heavy hitter/tank for a heavy combat role. Interestingly, the character in the promo art is for whatever reason wearing a mix of light and heavy armour, and thus not receiving an additional armour bonus for wearing all armour of the same type. Also, Light Armour FTW, as it's much easier to to sneak while wearing it, making it ideal for stealth based missions like Diplomatic Immunity (which is a main quest mission).

Found some Quicksilver Ingots lying around in a repurposed castle ruin. I think I found two more recruitable companions too, both were prisoners in the Diplomatic Immunity quest, one of which I sided with in the dispute you need to resolve so as to 'create a disturbance' (not sure why the game locks down the controls in that quest so you can't go around punching people in the face to create a distraction, but there we are). I know one buggers off to Roriksted after you save them, and says something about meeting him there. But I'm not sure where the female High Elf goes to. Again, I'm not entirely sure if they are recruitable or not, but I'll go see.

Also be wary of some Dragonstones, I found one not only guarded by a Dragon but also by Krosis, one of the 8(?) masked undead demons (you can place the masks on the busts in Labyrinthian after equiping the wooden mask first). And let me tell you, he had an insane amount of hitpoints. Fortunately, there's a lot of Mammoth ribcages dotted around there that acted as excellent cover while I sniped his ass - and the fireballs from his staff simply bounced off seemingly invincible Mammoth bones.

Guys, just posting to say I found the dog companion you can recruit in addition to a human(oid) companion. Him/her appearing seems to be a purely random encounter as I had fully explored the area of occurence with several of my other builds and had never found any Canine von Dogbreffz there before. Anyway, I was nearing Shimmermist Cave when I noticed an Irish Wolfhound wandering about. Approaching it, its name came up as 'Stray Dog', then I noticed a pack of Wolves charging at the dog. I dealt with the wolfpack, along with Lydia and the dog, then I went to 'talk' to the dog, and 'Follow Me' and that ###### came up. I've just done a little research, and apparently dogs can also be bought in Skyrim. IMO, would have been better if it were a Mastiff, as it would have suited the game wolrd more (being that when the Romans invaded the UK, they apparently encountered Mastiffs fighting alongside the Celt/Breton soldiers in battle)

Edited by WytchDokta

Be careful who you trust in game. I thought I'd make friends with the various Orc tribes at Orc forts dotted around the gameworld borders. This I thought should open up more trade options for me, plus it meant I could freely loot nearby Orc controlled mines, one of which had like six million (ways to die) Ebony Ore veins in it. Upon returning to one of these Orc forts via fast travel, I noticed three human mercs enter fort after me, who then proceeded to deliberately start a fight with me. I smashed heads as I don't take no ###### like that, while the Orcs decided NOT to help me nor to help the mercs, but instead to run off. Then, after looting the mercs' maimed corpses, I noticed one had a note entitled 'Contract.' When I read it, I discovered that the blacksmith at that fort had put the contract out on me (it was signed by the blacksmith). All I did was traded with him, and what do I get in return?

Anyway, they say payback is a ######. I thought about going on an all-out revenge mission against the fort, but decided not to as the blacksmith may eventually stock Ore that I need when others don't, so.... I returned there again one time to trade and to liberate more Ebony Ore from their mine. Upon returning to the fort from the mine, a Dragon appeared, circled aboved and landed inside the fort, wiping out the fort population on my behalf. And you know what, I didn't intervene until after the Dragon had culled the Orc population quite a bit, seeing that payback is a ###### and all. Upon approaching another fort, I saw a Giant laying on the smackdown with the fort's Orc population. Again, I didn't intervene until some Orc heads had been smashed, just to reinforce my message.

Edited by WytchDokta

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys, two followers worthy of note: Illia and Barbas. Forget Sven, Faendal, Anneke and Lydia.

- Illia is a Frost mage with a high Destruction skill. She can be found in Darklight Tower, just past the Narzlbur(sp?) Orc fort, near Riften. Before she will join you, you will need to help her with a certain task involving clearing the tower out. Come prepared for the task - not only is there a Giant outside the Orc fort, who can easily rip you a new one, but inside Darklight Tower, you'll have to face two Hagravens and a large number of Destruction elemental Mages/Necromancers (who WILL use magic wards to repel your magic), aswell any creatures they have summoned (Frost Spiders, Skeevers, etc). However, you will have Illia's help in clearing out the tower, and let me tell you, she is extremely tough for a mage, and deals considerable damage with all manner of Frost spells, aswell as spamming Oakflesh/Stoneflesh on herself. So you should be a'ight. I even put her toughness to the test and took her with me to face the two Draugr Deathlords in Lost Valkygg. No word of a lie, she DID NOT get incapped once, and we both killed those Deathlords faster than I have with other characters, bearing in mind the frost resistance of Draugr and all. If it was Lydia with me on that character build, the first Deathlord would have owned her in two seconds.

- Barbas is an invincible talking dog. That's right, you heard me: INVINCIBLE TALKING DOG. After a few in-game days have passed, head down to Falkreath, talk to the guard on the gate then to the blacksmith (ask him about a missing dog). Head back out to the road where you entered Falkreath and Barbas will show up and tell you what the deal is - in English, the dog speaks English not canine. Help him with his quest (don't worry if Barbas rushes off ahead Leeroy Jenkins style, you'll catch up with him at the shrine) until the point you converse with the shrine of Clavicus Vile, then speak to Barbas again, you should have the option to have him follow you now. DON'T complete this quest by doing what Clavicus asks you to do, as the end result will be him eventually asking you to kill Barbas (at which point he will no longer be invincible). In short, once you have spoken to Clavicus, get Barbas to come with you and go about doing all your other quests.

Edited by WytchDokta

One thing I'm not sure is a bug or not is 'leftyism' not registering properly in game. What I mean is this - with my Khajiit build, I deliberately equip my main weapon to the characters left hand (hence, 'lefty') and leave the right hand empty, so as to benefit from the Khajiit innate extra damage from their claw attacks (also, this way, I gain dual attacking, whereas equipping the weapon to the right hand and leaving the left hand empty grants single attacking whereby the left hand is used to block). Now, when I go to add a poison to my characters main weapon in his left hand, it doesn't work, stating: 'No weapon equipped'. When I switch the weapon over to the right hand and apply the same posion, it works. The game also does not register unarmed attacks as One-Handed attacks in terms of the skill - and there is no Unarmed skill despite that skill being in Oblivion.

Edited by WytchDokta

Further to my post about Illia and Barbas: Darklight Tower is not located next to the Orc fort I mentioned - the one I mentioned is the one with the mine and six million Ebony ore veins - The Orc fort next to Darklight tower is south west of Riften, I forget the fort's name exactly but it ends in something like '-grashbur'

In the inn in Riften (that was very Westcountry, eem in thur inn'n?) there's a mage for hire, name Marcurio. I'd go as far as saying he's. Better with the Destruction skill than Illia, in that I've seen Marcurio use different Destruction elements in batte. Primarily, he seems to favour shock/lightening elemental attacks (which makes him a perfect 'counter-mage' as it were, seeing that Shock attacks drain the targets Magicka), but I've seen him cast Fireball spells alongside his shock spells. On the contrary, Illia favours the Frost element, and uses ONLY frost spells. However, the knockback on Illia's Frost attacks is greater then that of Marcurio's - watch Illia kill an enemy with an Ice Spike spell, and see that enemy quite litteraly go flying.

What is it with Bethesda and their Destruction mage companions? Found another one in Nightcaller temple, a Dark Elf. You'll need to do a sidequest with him first to be able have him as a follower.

Anyway, I just completed the main quest. Alduin was so easy to defeat, then again, there was three temporary companions with me at the time (they all can use Dragonshouts too). Prior to ripping Alduin a new one, I got a new shout (gifted by Esbern) that allows me to summon Odaviin, a Dragon familiar, however, initially it is only used to trap Odaviin in Dragon's Reach. Thereafter, Odaviin WILL NOT come to assist when the Dragonshout is used - until you nail Alduin good. With Alduin killed, you can then use the shout anywhere outside to summon Odaviin again, and after a short while (unlike other shouts the 'effect' is not instantaneous in that there is a delay before Odaviin will arrive) he' ll show up and keep circling above your position for a while actively seeking out hostile targets. See, I told you BEFORE the game was released that there was a shout that enabled players to summon a Dragon familiar. Damn, I'm good.

After releasing Odaviin from the trap at Dragon's Reach, he will give you a lift to Skuldafn - an area just off the world map, hence needing a Dragon to fly you over there. You will be completely on your own in there area and you will have to face leveled Draugr enemies. For me it was an abundance of Draugr Wights and Draugr Scourges attacking in groups, a Draugr Wight Lord and one of the masked Draugr Dragon Priests, so stocking up on meds before this mission is essential.

You see, the average person these days tends to follow the mainstream trends, and I'm not the average person; I choose to think for myself, I choose the underground. If I started talking CoD in this thread, there would be more replies. But this is Skyrim and no-one who plays CoD also plays Skyrim, 'cause like, Skyrim is so open-world and unlinear, and them mainstream followers ain't used to such things. :rofl: Then again, I like the Elder Scrolls games so much because of the freedom of choice within - much like the freedom of choice in the underground. How's that saying from Bioshock go? Oh yeah, "A man chooses, a slave obeys."

But anyway, does anyone here who plays Skyrim play as a mage? I'm thinking of starting a pure mage build. That is, a mage like the hostile mages in-game - only used melee weapons as a last resort, primarily using magic.I'm thinking of High Elf or Breton for this. While the Bretons have a resistance to magic, they receive no bonus to Destruction, which isn't such a bad thing I suppose as I could go down the Conjuration path instead, using conjured weapons and raising the dedz. On the contrary, High Elves start with much more magicka than the other races (other races would have to level up 5 times to get same level of magicka as a High Elves' starting magicka), and can continually relentless hammer a target with magic using the Highborn power. They receive a starting boost to Destruction. Some of you also may not know that characters' heights dictate how fast they can sprint - High Elves are the tallest playable characters that in game followed by Orcs. Thus, High Elves can sprint faster than other races, followed by Orcs.