SOCOM 4: Move and Sharpshooter

Ruin

Here's one for you Ledanek...

I brought in a bunch of games today (to include Crysis 2 and Tiger Woods 12 - jerks) and walked out with SOCOM 4, a PS Move Sharpshooter Controller and some extended triggers for my R2/L2 buttons... and a surplus on my card.

Anyway... initial thoughts after the first couple hours of gameplay.

FINALLY! A FPS I CAN ACTUALLY PLAY ON THE CONSOLE!

Here's the deal. I've got thumbs that have the dexterity of a pool stick and the attention span of an ADHD 9 year old playing HALO. Simply put, joysticks on console controllers and I DO NOT get a long when it comes to precision aiming. This leads to multiple deaths and lots of frustration when trying to compete online with the forty year old virgins living in their mom's basement demanding hot pockets at regular intervals. I'm a casual gamer and this level over precision helps a lot! Once PSN removed A from B and starts working again I'll test it out in MP and see how I fair. I miss my days of dominating a leaderboard - RS:RVS, oh yes how I miss you. :)

I'll go more in depth later, but if you were wondering about using the Move with SOCOM 4, save $40 or $50, and use your existing Move control and navigation controller. Sit comfortably, calibrate and kick ass!

Thanks Ruin :thumbsup:

I've read mix bag about the Sharpshooter. There is a pistol accessory that some folks have mention on PSN Forums that are equal or better than Sharpshooter. Best keep an eye on Craiglist or eBay according to some, because supposedly, the novelty wears off rather quickly.

I did my best dropping major hints to my wife for my birthday, this said accessory, but I received two new shirts and some more white socks instead <_<

Then again, after completing KZ3, I'm back on my cheap office chair playing PC games again. I just wish Radeon cards and Crytek games would already get a sex room and get their drivers together. :wall:

I went back to DiRT2 to experience the eye-candy of DX11 .... THANK YOU Codemaster for getting this game right. Now I awaits DiRT3 ...."you read this my dearest wife?"

I'm trying to play Tinker's Rockfall but it keeps CTD on my Win7 rig. Not sure why :unsure: If I Alt-Tab to it, I could hear for a 3beats the game song, then back to CTD.

I'm going to GR Thread and search some answers

Keep us updated Ruin :thumbsup:

As a poor college kid I can barely afford the PS3 games, much less trying to keep up with the hardware changes in PCs. I'd love to have a solid rig again... but that's a down payment on an auto-upgrade (could there be a trade in this fall? Perhaps... :) ).

Since I've stopped using the sharpshooter, I'm doing much better. And I think I've figured out the reason for this. When playing a third person shooter you get used to being able to move your character while also moving the camera. The problem is, with the Sharpshooter you need to move your ret to the extremes of your screen to make your player actually start turning (whereas with a controller you can move the camera but still keep the ret relatively center and not decreasing your view). So it's counter-intuitive. Since you're not surrounded by screens to physically move around in, you can't actually look around with the rifle. You're stuck looking at a very limited view but physically moving as if you were in a 360 world. Once yo removed the Sharpshooter and use both controllers separately the Move controller works like the stick on your regular controller so it feels more like you would expect a game to. Now you're moving your ret with your wrist and not your thumb.

I hope that all makes sense. :)

Some more thoughts now that I've got a bit more game-time in...

Sniping at long range is tough with the move controller. While the sheer volume of fire you tend to encounter in a firefight doesn't lend for much sniping, the times you want to can be tricky. Those who have use the move controller know of that slightly sluggish feel it has. It's not like a laser but works more on an arc. I think theres a way to fine tune this, but I'm afraid it would be too sensitive. It works great for medium distance engagements which the maps are really designed for anyway. It's no OGR.

Your teammates are half... well... they're idiots. They're decent shots and can really lay down some fire (especially Blue team) but be sure to give a hold order if you don't want them following you around somewhere. They whine, a lot. You put them in a position to hold and they want to complain about being able to hold it. There's some credit here. They do notice when their flank is exposed and when the cover they're holding isn't too strong. The thing is, your AI buddies are pretty robust. They can take a LOT of damage = although part of this is because the AI baddies tend to focus more than a fair share of their fire on you.

Right now, I don't know if I don't know something I should or if it's a bug, but for the custom mission you can only play on the one map. This is annoying. Maybe I missed something to unlock other levels (even though in the custom mission menu you can select other levels), but I'm thinking this is a bug and it will get fixed when PSN works again.

That's all I've got for now.

I still highly recommend this game. It's high intensity, lots of fun, and a pretty good shooter. It's tactical... to an extent. There are places for cover, ways to set up ambushes etc. You don't get the breadth of OGR, but it's a lot better than many of the more recent arcadey shooters out there.

Your teammates are half... well... they're idiots.

Really hit my funny bone by the way you started the sentence and paused...they're idiots. :rofl:

The last person I thought would buy a PS3 and play a shooter is my older brother...a Vietnam combat veteran.

Started last Xmas at his sons house and he bought a PS3 and hasn't quit since. Contemplating buying one too

just to game with a family member. Socom4 sounds like a good title for us as I have had my fill of COD4 which he plays constantly.

If you had asked the young Ruin who started here when OGR first came out I'd have told you "Never, ever, ever will I move to a console system! They're inferior to the almighty PC!" Today, now I say "$2500 for a good gaming rig? Yeah, that's a year's worth of car payments, no thanks." I love my PS3. I had a 360 for just over a year and recently traded it in to get some PS3 games. If you're already thinking of it, go with it, you'll love it. It is a tough transition from keyboard/mouse to controller, but the Move controllers have helped me a lot.

• 5 months later...

I finally got the Sharpshooter/ pointy/navigate/ and camera all due to K-Mart's 50% off sale on these accessories.

First of all, PS3 doesn't have enough USB connections. It has two. So now, I'm Googling how and if a USB hub will work for this situation, since I have a Belkin USB hub sitting around.

Second, I need more USB cables. Know a place to get them cheap? I'm off to the Recycling center for some USB cable.

Only game I have for this is the Killzone3. I'll try to see if I can find time to play and do a review on this setup.

Due to Ruin's Review on SUCKOM, I will probably keep an eye on Time Crisis instead. Finally an arcade game in the living room.

Hopefully BF3 will be available for PS3 Move.