Constant Crash Errors

Some of you may know that I am making a scratch built map which consists mainly of GRAW1 buildings.

Up until now things have been going fine but now I have the basic mission laid out with all the objectives in place and the coding done when testing I am getting constant crashes.

These crashes occur after I complete an objective but the problem is it dose not happen at the same objective each time, the problem is so bad that I am unable to complete all the objectives and so far have not been able to test the full mission by completing all the objectives.

What I have done so far:

The map is complete with all the buildings and props in place as is the props brush and the lightmaps have been rendered, I have placed the AI graph, coverpoints and the location triggers are done and all the code has been written. The only thing left to do is place the AI, I normally do this last so I can test the mission much easier if there are no bods to kill.

My thinking here is that the game is being stretched to far and when I complete an objective where most of them involves some sort of explosion or effect the game engine or PC is running out of resources and is unable to cope with the extra load.

This is quite a large map so I think this might also be contributing to this problem. As the map and mission is done reducing the size of the map will be a big job and not really worth the effort.

The GRAW1 buildings come from the props pack that Bogie released for us to use in our missions as I wouldn't know how to convert them myself I used the ones he converted for us, I wonder if these buildings are more resource hungry then the stock GRAW2 buildings and might be causing this problem.

Can anyone offer any help here as I am getting pretty close to calling it a day with this mission and moving on to something a bit smaller.

Thanks,

John

Crash log:

Crash in application version: 30899.3048

Unhandled exception - access violation

C STACK:
graw2 (???) : ???

SCRIPT STACK:
data\lib\managers\eventmanager.dsf(0)
data\lib\managers\eventmanager.dsf(0)
data\lib\managers\worldmanager.dsf(0)
data\lib\managers\worldmanager.dsf(0)
data\lib\setups\setup.dsf(0)
data\level\level.dsf(0)

Renderer: threaded
Physics : threaded[/code]

Hi John, I had the same problem, it drove me nut. What am I doing wrong? What it is, is I found that if I have to many maps on the run, I get the same fault. I spent a weekend trying to work out what was going wrong. I removed line after line and still had the same problem, even if I played a different mission?????? Then my one year old boy turned off the computer ( the little bug-ger) I restarted it and all is OK. Then about a week or so, it happen again. So I put two and two together , turn the computer off then on ,it fixed it. I still get the problem time after time. The fix for me is, I remove all the maps apart from the one I am working on and I turn off the computer and restart it from time to time.

Rad...

Hey John,

The GRAW1 props are more resource hungry as we import every aspect of that particular prop. And in some cases, you will import more resources as several of the buildings share textures - hence the large file sizes.

I had similar problems with some of the smaller props that caused crashes. To perhaps troubleshoot to see if there is an individual prop causing the issue, take an inventory of all of the GRAW1 props/buildings and just walk up and pop it with a M203 GL. Sometimes there are collisions that react poorly and using an explosive on the prop directly will usually bring this out.

Since the GRAW2 textures are alreay a part of the program, you may wish to use them instead of the imported GRAW1 textures to save some memory. As you can see, some of the texture files are 40MB+ in size and it doesn't always make sense to import these (both the bump & diffuse) if it is only for one or two props.

Also assure that you are not loading two of the same props or buildings with the same names and same goes for the textures. This has caused problems for me in the past as well. You will notice especially with the industry buildings that some of these were named identically in GRAW1 and GRAW2 like the barracks, water tower, etc.

All of these could possibly be giving off those errors that you are mentioning. Just takes more time to convert the GRAW1 stuff and work out all of the bugs.

Hope this helps,

Bogie

Hi Rad,

Thanks for the reply, I have tried what you said but the crashing continues, I think this problem is related to the GRAW1 buildings as it's a large map I think this issue is down to resources.

Hi Bogie,

How are you doing mate I haven't seen you around lately, I hope you will be back making some more missions for us, it's getting a bit lonely rattling around in the beta testing forum all on my own.

This map is a scratch built one which consists of around 90% GRAW1 buildings, you may have seen in some of my other posts that I have reworked the GRAW1 textures and was able to reduce the bundle size from 220mb down to 80mb.

I loaded the atlas.dds and atlas.bmp files into Photoshop where I reduced the size of each texture by half making them 1024 x 256 and saving the dds files as DX3 (I think it was explicit alpha), this reduced the largest texture from 40mb down to around 5.5mb with only a small reduction in the texture quality.

Would reducing these textures cause the problems I am experiencing, having said that I have done this before on the Castle map and the Urban Conflict map without any problems.

I have used a few of the GRAW1 barracks but I assume the names are unique as you have named them "graw1_barracks_01" (I am using your GRAW1 props that you released) so the textures should also be ok.

You mention using the GRAW2 textures, I'm not to sure how I would go about doing this.

The game crashes when I complete an objective, it's even crashed when I have destroyed an Adat which was to one side of the map and not close to any GRAW1 buildings which leads me to think that this might be a resource issue and not a conflict with the GRAW1 buildings, all the small props in the mission are stock GRAW2 ones all I have used in the mission is GRAW1 buildings, from memory I think I have used nearly all the buildings from the pack that you released.

IMO this map maybe to large, I used the "m10_landscape_clean" and have covered most of the larger side of this landscape making the map very big.

If you want to take a look I can post a link to it here.

Many thanks,

John

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure there is a post like this knocking around but I can't find it. I've been playing loads of Coop ona couple of servers, is is the fault of my PC or the Server that causes my games to crash?

GR:AW 2 is a relatively old game so surely there is a fix somewhere? I've crashed 7 times to day in about 4 hours worth of game play!

Below in Bold are two reports, can anyone here understand them and tell me whats going on??

Report 1:

data\lib\units\ai\vehicles\hmovelogics.dsf(-1): Operator <void> - <vector3> does not exist!

SCRIPT STACK:

data\lib\units\ai\vehicles\hmovelogics.dsf(0)

data\lib\managers\aihivebrain.dsf(0)

data\lib\setups\setup.dsf(0)

data\level\level.dsf(0)

Physics : threaded

=============================================================

Report 2:

Unhandled exception - access violation

C STACK:

??? (???) : ???

SCRIPT STACK:

data\lib\units\types\beings\humanhusk.dsf(0)

Physics : threaded

=============================================================

Cheers

Edited by JohnTC02
Merged with existing thread about this