Co-op Campaign Story

CR6

I find it quite interesting that the co-op campaign features a new story on old maps. According the the press release:

Story: Manuel Suazo Azcona has emerged as the leader of a new rebel movement in El Salvador. Azcona’s plan seems to be an attempt to destabilize the governments of both El Salvador and neighboring Honduras. Once their respective governments are weakened, he will incite the people to try and overthrow both countries’ U.S.-backed leaders. The Ghosts are being sent in to quell this uprising before it starts. They must first stop the rebel incursions over the two nations’ shared border and then hunt down the rebel leaders one by one. If they fail, America’s efforts in the region could be set back by decades.

I won't be downloading this DLC right away, so just want to ask those that are playing it if the maps are pretty much exact re-creations of the classic maps (e.g. does Caves have coniferous trees or tropical ones?) and if the campaign objectives are similar to the ones from GR1/IT?

I honestly can't recall enough of the objectives from the original to compare, but Caves has the same type of trees - Pine. Plantation has tropical trees, but that was in Cuba in the first place I think. RR bridge has deciduous trees, I am pretty sure.

The missions do play out differently, from what I have read. Like most of the missions in GRAW, they kind of force the action upon you, more than letting you initiate the action.

The maps are graphically beautiful and very faithful recreations of the originals, but, with more detail, and appropriate to the setting. Some of the objectives are very similar to the original, like caves. In Plantation, you have to intercept a convoy and destroy AA weapons.

The only gripe I have is the AI animations, they are very poor, not realistic like GR, they are a hold over from GR 2, it was the same on the Xbox, they zig and zag, and strafe like they are on ice, looks very poor, especially when you compare it to AI in other games. Ubi did a much better job with the AI in the SP.

I've only played and completed Railroad Bridge and i can say that the design is very similar and well done but the objectives are totally different. And different should not be bad by definition but it's just too easy. I played it alone on hard with everything turned off that can be turned off(drone, crosscom, markers, classes) and it took me 3 times before i got the 'kickin it old school' and 'Railroad Bridge co-op Perfect' achievements. There is no need for a team, just Rambo your way through is good enough. Don't worry about the two snipers on the bridge because general Martin will warn you in his little video feed. Even right after you killed them. General Martin is a very well informed little ###### but he's also little slow sometimes. Just after i killed the informant General Martin notified me about his presence in the area.

Also, enemies will spawn here and there, unlike the original missions where all the enemies were pre-placed. E.g. when i was looking at the base on the other side, while i was standing on the bridge, it was empty but as soon as i got closer it was full of enemies. Well, let's not exaggerate things, there were only 10 or 15 of them...

But even with all it's shortcomings it's still a lot better then the on-rail shooter expierence you get from the single player campaign. You can still choose when and wich objective you'll do first, next etc.

In short: the original mission is much better and harder but the GFX are great on the new one.

Still have to see how the other missions are.

Edited by oorlogshond

the first four co-op missions you can choose which objectives you want to do and they are easy to do. my friend and I did all five maps by ourselves to get the achievements. But wait until the map Swamp Airfield, they really cranked up the pressure in that mission. It actually felt like you were playing single player campaign but with your friends. It took us two about three nights of playing it for two hours each night to work our way through that last one but we finally did it.

the first four co-op missions you can choose which objectives you want to do and they are easy to do. my friend and I did all five maps by ourselves to get the achievements. But wait until the map Swamp Airfield, they really cranked up the pressure in that mission. It actually felt like you were playing single player campaign but with your friends. It took us two about three nights of playing it for two hours each night to work our way through that last one but we finally did it.

I agree. I think Swamp Airfield is the most challenging and fun mission of the whole pack. It's my favorite and the one i keep playing over and over. Love the setting, the green, foggyness and lighting. Camo works very well on this one. Awesome job on this one RSE. :thumbsup:

The worst of the missions is probably plantation. Too small, easy as hell and low frame rates.

Edited by oorlogshond

Also, I think over the whole GRAW co-op campaign, there has been only about three or four really challenging missions. On the first GRAW, there was the Wharf map because when you went into the town section of the map you had the rebels coming from all that part of the map. So, you had to watch your front, back, below and above yourself. Then on GRAW 2 I think Caldera, Hideout and Swamp Airfield were the most challenging missions.

Caldera: objectives were spread apart and you had to split up to complete, but the downside was you could elimnate the rebels then go do the objectives. You didn't have objectives that were time sensitive.

Hideout: Here you had the same setup as Caldera but after you disabled the comms, you still had to clear out the remaining rebels in the compund. Here again, they could have modeled the objectives after Swamp Airfield objectives and had some type of vehicle come up if you didn't disable the comms or the rebels sounded the alarm.

Swamp Airfield: What else can be said about this mission, it is as close to perfect as you can get.