help with wishlist

Cpl Ledanek

Pricess mostly comes from Newegg:

1) ASUS "A8N-SLI Deluxe" nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL $199

------I understand this part. But not completely sure if I will ever use the SLI feature.

So if there is another mobo please do suggest one. I'm staring at a DFI lan mobo for starters.

-------------DFI "LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D" NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL $140

2) AMD Athlon64 3000+ Socket 939

------Clawhammer, Winchester, Newcastle ---what are these? Just want a proc for gaming and Photoshop

3) PC3200DDR 512MB

------not sure which to get:

a) Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200C2PT

- OEM $88

b) Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

- OEM $91

4) Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 drives (per Falcon-Northwest specs for Talon series)

------Seagate 80 GB Barracuda 7200RPM SATA with NCQ Hard Drive, Model ST380817AS,

- OEM $70

5) Antec 550W Power Supply, Model "TRUE550" - Retail $99

So far I'm looking at $375 delivered. Going to use old case, and get some Lite-on DVD-ROM (oem), re-use the Plextor CD-RW-rom, floppy drive (if needed still)

and an unopened box of 128MB AIW ATI equivlent to my current GF4Ti4200 card. Never did use it. <_<

Thanks for educating me again

:thumbsup:

SLI uses 2 PCIe video cards for video duty (though you can still use just one PCIe video card). Niether of those motherboards has AGP slots so you would have to get a new video card (a good idea and I hear 6600GTs are kick ass). You do want at least a socket 939 motherboard.

Newcastle, clawhammer and winchester are the core type names same as thoroughbred, palamino or barton. Signfies FSB in some cases too. All 64bit AMD procs have the memory controller on the chip now so FBS is a moot point. It runs at the chips clocked speed.

Care to show us the links for the memory? It will help as from what I see, they look identical. The difference may be the color of the heatspreaders.

SLI uses 2 PCIe video cards for video duty (though you can still use just one PCIe video card). Niether of those motherboards has AGP slots so you would have to get a new video card (a good idea and I hear 6600GTs are kick ass). You do want at least a socket 939 motherboard.

----- :blink:  Dang! I guess I have to get the DFI so I can use my old ATI vidcard. 

Newcastle, clawhammer and winchester are the core type names same as thoroughbred, palamino or barton. Signfies FSB in some cases too. All 64bit AMD procs have the memory controller on the chip now so FBS is a moot point. It runs at the chips clocked speed.

------- so I should get what proc then?

Care to show us the links for the memory? It will help as from what I see, they look identical. The difference may be the color of the heatspreaders.

XMS Series $88

XMS Series $91

Thanks WK

The RAM is the same save for the heatspreaders. Go with the Platninum ones, they are cheaper.

You can't use either of the motherboards you listed, no AGP slots for either of them.

Check out the MSI "K8T NEO2-F" VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL for a 939 motherboard with an AGP slot.

Personally, I would save up the cash to get a PCIe video card. You will have more upgrade paths in the future.

The RAM is the same save for the heatspreaders. Go with the Platninum ones, they are cheaper.

You can't use either of the motherboards you listed, no AGP slots for either of them.

Check out the MSI "K8T NEO2-F" VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL for a 939 motherboard with an AGP slot.

Personally, I would save up the cash to get a PCIe video card. You will have more upgrade paths in the future.

I read the review said something about conflict/problem with ATI cards. That rules out this mobo. So I looked around and saw this DFI "LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb" NVIDIA nForce3 250GB Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL for $105 and has Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X, 5x PCI, so this would satisfy my unused ATI card.

Why can't we all be born rich :lol: