Game not starting

shorty

Suddenly two of my Red Storm games have stopped working:

- Pressing the play button on the Ghost Recon launch menu, I am prompted that I need to be logged in as administrator to run it.

- Starting Raven Shield I am promted (as usual) if I will allow the program to make changes to the system. Clicking yes, nothing happens.

I have tried checking the "run as administrator" field - no difference.

I have Win7 and has allways only had that single user account.

Do you guys have any idea what is wrong?

Have same symptoms with Ghost Recon on Win8.1 after Windows service update. In my case KB3086255 (Security update for Windows) has caused the problems. Also see 'SECDRV.SYS Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of older games' in Microsoft Community. Regards

• 3 months later...

Having updated to Win10 I am no longer able to allow SECDRV to run. I have received two suggestions from friends:

1) Burn an image from my CD, and run it with a DEAMON tool.

2) Install a virtual PC with XP to run Ghost Recon.

Any technical or legal issues I should be aware of here?

• 8 months later...

Finaly got Ghost Recon and R6: Raven Shield installed on a VM VirtualBox running XP - but:

- When I try to start Ghost Recon, I get the same result as in Win 10; a square dot in the center of the screen and nothing else.

- When I try to start Raven Shield, I get the message: "Critical error. Failed to initialize 3D hardware. Make sure Direct X 8.1b or greater is installed on your system." (drivers have been installed from disc)

Can anyone please tell me what I need to do, to make it work?

Welcome to the forums, Shorty. VirtualBox supports 3D "hardware" acceleration, if you install the VirtualBox Additions (included) in advanced mode (Safe Booting XP required). You have to manually select the option for "Experimental Hardware Acceleration" (IIRC).

Well ApexMods, I've been in this forum since 2006 ;-)

I am totally noob on VirtualBox - what do you mean by " Safe Booting XP required "? I have looked in the manual for VirtualBox, but the options I have in the "advanced" tab doesn't make my any wiser.

Sorry, mate. Must have been half-asleep when I answered. :)

Anyhow, here's a concise description of the required procedure:

http://www.howtogeek.com/124479/how-to-enable-3d-acceleration-and-use-windows-aero-in-virtualbox/

The example is for Win7 and Aero, but it should be basically the same for your case. Hope this helps.