Hardrive Recovery Software

deleyt

Maxtor has a horrible track record with h.d. life spans. I've stuck with Seagate Barracudas for years, and up to about a year ago almost never had to replace them. Now I see them failing almost as much as the maxtor and many W.D types. Its nice to have a 5 yr replacement guarantee, but sure doesn't help with data loss and such. I've ended up mirroring every machine in my home (with a 3rd hot spare so I have a mirror while returning these things, cause I don't trust anything anymore) and almost every business machine I work on I offer clients an @cost option with $30 in labor to move them from single drives to some sort of redundant raid setup just to help save them from the agony of the loss. I've heard the high end W.D's are getting better (anything's got to be better then this)...what have you all seen?

(btw, if you don't already, dump 70+ and setup at least a RAID 1 - mirror - it'll save you when it all hits the fan)

Sounds like I'm one of the few ppl around here who haven't had a fatal HD crash :blink:

Apart from an ooooold 1.3 Gb disc that gave up on me after years of use I've never had a single problem, even so I'm damn near religious about my backups. I've got all my work saved on a drive separate from my windows installation and do fortnightly backups of my modeling folder to an external drive that only is plugged in at those occations.

Not even that old drive that gave in on my was fatal, at the time it was used as a bootdrive (back in the good ole Win95 day, ie 1999) and suddently started getting bad clusters. Don't think I've ever formatted and reinstalled an OS more times in a week than what I had to do then. 6 reformats/reinstalls in a week it took me before I started suspecting something was wrong with the drive :lol:

Maxtor has a horrible track record with h.d. life spans. I've stuck with Seagate Barracudas for years, and up to about a year ago almost never had to replace them. Now I see them failing almost as much as the maxtor and many W.D types. Its nice to have a 5 yr replacement guarantee, but sure doesn't help with data loss and such. I've ended up mirroring every machine in my home (with a 3rd hot spare so I have a mirror while returning these things, cause I don't trust anything anymore) and almost every business machine I work on I offer clients an @cost option with $30 in labor to move them from single drives to some sort of redundant raid setup just to help save them from the agony of the loss. I've heard the high end W.D's are getting better (anything's got to be better then this)...what have you all seen?

(btw, if you don't already, dump 70+ and setup at least a RAID 1 - mirror - it'll save you when it all hits the fan)

Fully agree... Maxtor has the highest failure rate. WD is ok but Seagate as stated takes the cake for best reliability. We see dead maxtors all the time at my work (i work for an OEM) And for the above reason we sell mainly Seagates.... be careful on warranty though... Some seagates are still 1 year... retail is 5... although i haven't had to use one (a warranty return on a seagate)

• 4 months later...

To recover the lost partition on my hard drive I used Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery Software.

It recovered all almost all my stuff and lost partition which happened due to software malfunction.

One good feature I found in this utility is Interactive tree structure to view and select (tag) and recover files and directories to a safe location.

To test the software One can download the demo version of this partition recovery utility.