Power supply Issue..

Zebb

If i unplug my comp power supply cable and then plug it back in and try to restart it it will attempt to fire itself up and then without any warning shut down again, it can happen at any stage of the startup and in no particular place, i then have to repeatedly unplug and plug it back in over and over until it manages to get through the complete bootup and onto the main screen before i know it will remain on.

Now if i leave my computer plugged into the mains but just turn it on and off when i want to use it there is never any problem at all, it just fires up as normal.

I have replaced the power supply cable and my plug is in a surge protector setup which has power all the time even when the computer doesnt seem to, is this likely to be a PSU problem or an internal comp one ?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.. :unsure:

Does sound like a PSU issue. Do you have a habit of unplugging the cord to the PC all the time? I wonder if the socket in the surge protector is going bad? Have you tried a different one or even straight into the wall socket to rule out the surge protector?

I normally unplug my comp when i'm not using it and just plug it back in when i do, as long as i dont unplug it everything is fine, i will see if the surge protector is faulty (although it is quite new) and see if going direct makes any difference, thanks WK..

Do you unplug it from the suppressor or from the back of the PSU?

If the back of the PSU, that socket is probably worn out, in which case a new PSU is in order.

If from the suppressor, have you tried a new cord, as continually flexing the end of the cord can damage it inside where the wire is soldered to the connectors on the plug itself.

If the suppressor is fairly new, it is highly doubtful that is the issue. I'd look to the cord itself, and possibly the PSU.

Thanks Phantom, i leave it plugged into the PSU and just remove the plug from the mains power, i bought a new cable at first but it still does it so i think its going to end up being a PSU issue......

Lol, yes mate, i have a 350 spare in my "extra's box" rather than the 550 i'm running right now, i will have to swop them around and see if it makes any difference...... :rolleyes: