GR2 Angers Korean newsman

SteelHack

that's a real shame. I was always looking forward to when my brother came home from service and i would shower him with all these questions.

when i was in the states for about two years i've met vets from various wars but none wanted to really talk about it. i understand, but i was just curious. tried buying them beers but they were much better drinkers than i am :lol: I did get an invite to a big july the 4th party so it wasn't exactly in vain.

I wouldn't have mind spending time in the army or the force, but since i'm a medical hazard i'll just have to resort to playing silly games ;)

TMI perhaps :sheep:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey kitty, alot of guys have different experiences and find it difficult to talk about things they've seen or maybe done, alot of guys have seen more action in the NAAFI than they have in the field lol, but apart from that ive been on peace keeping tours where ive done alot of good for other people, i have fired and bin fired upon and ive lost good mates...nomatter what you do these things stay with you for life and i guess you take the rough with the smooth, being a soldier isnt just a job..its a life, so you either live it or you get the hell outa there! One thing i do know that the life expectancy of a paratrooper in a full scale war is around 27 minutes...dont seem long but it's what you can achieve in those 27 minutes that count!! HEY INC_DOC....WOULDANT YOU AGREE !!!!

Well I know better than to pry in situations like that, if they wish to talk about it great, if not still good friends.

Though the ones that did talk to me found it a bit hard to settle back in civil life, where everything is so unruly and chaotic.

One of them used to get really ticked off when people refused to get into a simple line. He was so used to that kind of discipline, and more than once we had to leave the stores because he was getting extremely agitated.

I guess its like a different world entirely.

and oh my goodness, we strayed off the main topic again. woe to us.

lol, the only thing i found hard about being a civilian again was living by myself, it was a little lonley atfirst but then i found my lady and everything was ok...but she complained about me making the bed with perfect hospital corners, ironing my t shirts A4 size and making airborne stew when her parents come round for dinner...lol!!!

Sorry I’ve been away, but the wife just came home after a 14-day trip to her sisters. Was a little busy...lol, Yeah I would agree. I lot of people wont talk about their experiences. I just give the general experience and leave it at that, no details. The only time I really talk about it is with my friends from that time, usually during a good drinking session…lol.

EXPARA, there are many here who have served like myself or In Doc or are still serving like Hatchetforce, Soup and EricJ (these 2 are in the sandboxes right now as a matter of fact).

MsKitty, most war vets, specially those from 'Nam, have a hard time talking about their experiances with those who haven't been. They saw things that some people could never understand and to try and relate so someone could would bring back those bad and painful memories. It's good that you understood that some wouldn't talk and hopefully now you understand why. :)

EXPARA, there are many here who have served like myself or In Doc or are still serving like Hatchetforce, Soup and EricJ (these 2 are in the sandboxes right now as a matter of fact).

MsKitty, most war vets, specially those from 'Nam, have a hard time talking about their experiances with those who haven't been. They saw things that some people could never understand and to try and relate so someone could would bring back those bad and painful memories. It's good that you understood that some wouldn't talk and hopefully now you understand why. :)

yeah, my dad dosent really like talking about the falklands with other people besides myself and his mates that were there "this is also with a beer in his hand, lol" i had mixed feelings when i was in bosnia...just couldant get my head round this ethnic cleansing thing! On another note it's just been announced that "geoff hoon" a so called good guy for our military has today decided on defence cuts once again...he favours military hardware in place of men on the ground! who's this guy trying to kidd!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
i either get the silent treatment or she starts telling our guests about my time in the "boy scouts as she likes to call it", then i get out the photos and it totaly spoils her night, cos her friends are really interested and she isnt lol!.

hey HAWKEYE_8083....have you served too bud ?

:P ...roger that EXPARA......my wife always tells me boys should not play with guns, they mite shoot their foot off......she has a warped sence of humor...what you expect from a full blooded cherokee....me i just tell her look what happen when indians played with guns......lol.......served....with honor in the Marines-68/75...sempi-fi......hawk