Hosting/Joining Problems

I still haven't figured out what my problem is joining T's server. I still suspect it may have to do with latency. What do you think about hosting the game via the gamespy broswer or else via ASE next time? I haven't had any difficulties seeing or joining games via those two browsers.

El

Hey,

finally received a response from the official BIS forums that might solve the problem. The infamous AVON Lady herself posted a reply stating that we should no longer use directplay and should use sockets instead. Unfortunately, she did not explain why but given her rep in the OPF community I'm happy to take her word for it. If you haven't seen her very informative website yet, check it out here:

http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/

Let's try sockets next time no?

EDIT: I did some searching of the official forums, apparently the consensus is that the sockets platform is more stable and more developed overall for MP use.

El

Okey Dokey, we'll give that a whirl, hopefully it'll work. Ranger had a slight hiccup last night, but managed to join after rebooting his machine. Sart had an infamous lock up about 5 mins in the first time :(

I take it I can host with Sockets without using Gamespy?