Can I use the Mods with my Mac?

MacGamer269

AFAIK, the only issues lie within the installer. Because the files are all from GR and the GR engine, they should work fine.

Give it a shot. It shouldn't hurt.

IF it does, I can not be held liable for any damages to your computer. :)

Sorry, ahd to include the disclaimer

It's not only a matter of the .EXE file -which can easily be launched in either a friend's PC or the Virtual PC emulator-. Some mods are incompatible for other reasons, as it is the case of War of Infamy or the Island Thunder expansion pack -which after some tweaks can work for Mac Ghost Recon, it being a mod after all-.

First off, GR Mac is a Carbon application that does not support filenames longer than 32 characters (many Carbon apps can, but GR can't), which might cause issues particularly with texture names. If a mod fails to load some textures or crashes your Mac GR due to a "Type 2" error, check your ike.log and you will see which textures/files are failing to load.

Also, there is one other problem -the one PC Island Thunder has when loaded on a Mac- with texture format. Alpha textures that are in the A1R5G5B5 format, 16 bits/pixel, 1 bit/Alpha and 5 bits each of RGB will not render correctly. Resaving those files into either A4R4G4B4, 16 bits/pixel 4 bits each of ARGB or A8R8G8B8, 32 bits/pixel 8 bits each of ARGB with Alpha Blending solves the problem.

One final problem -though an obvious one- is if the mods use launcher applications, like War of Infamy. Launchers are in .EXE and cannot be run for Mac Ghost Recon.

As far as I have tested, most mods do work with a Mac after unstuffing them from the .EXE in Virtual PC, but with others you might find the problems described above. If you are to fix those problems, you can even run Island Thunder for Mac Ghost Recon flawlessly.

Regards,

Jack Doolan