Another Idea for New Installments

Alderei

I like the addition of the "Class", but the attributes need to be better aligned. Riflemen bonuses should really only apply to rifleman weapons. The rifleman class should be almost ineffective at firing support or sniper weapons. Just to force more diversification.

I wonder about the feasibility of adding a new class to the current group:

Scout Class.

Kit:

Binoculars (instead of hand gun)

SubMachine Gun (SCAR-L CQC, MP5 SD, UMP15 SD, and whatnot)

Smoke Grenades / Claymore Mines (or Tripwires, if introduced to the series)

Class bonus:

While lying/moving in prone position with Binocs equppied, cannot be seen by enemy unless within 10 meters distance. Stays obscured unless "bumped into." Loses this "invisibility"/obscurement one weapon is fired, smoke thrown, or "heard" by moving or talking with an enemy closer than 10 meters.

The binocluars would include a distance readout.

While I don't like the "invisibility" option (a Guille Suit may be a much better option), I like the idea of helping a scout get into position to serve as a tactical and strategic asset to their team. Their weapons would make them ineffective at combat unless up-close-and-personal with the enemy, so their purpose would be to avoid engagement while providing intel to their team.

But with GRAW2, you can't really move stealthily, you're very visible to snipers across the map. In my imagination, trained scout/spotter elements of elite armed forces excel at being invisible. So the game could be made to allow that as long as the rules are followed, meaning as long as the scout maintains an observatory role rather a combat role. They could set up claymores to aid them, and fight their way out if overrun, but then would lose their "perk."

Thoughts?

Sorry i hate to disagree but a ghost is an elite soldier.....the weapon class is almost an issue of preference within the context of the game......a ghost switching from his rifleman weapon to a support weapon shouldnt have a drop in combat effectiveness. If anything the weapons performance and existance within the battlefield is what should help set the classes apart.....

a 249 should be able to deploy bipods on any surface on the environment to create a steady shooting platform....along with the bipod comes the ability for the gunner to transition from target much quicker due to the bipod (with existing left or right limits of course)....in doing so you create a high rate of semi accurate fire for the support class vs the highly mobile medium rate of fire of the rifleman.

think along those lines for all those classes and you will find that realism creates a good balance for each class.....kind of how its cumbersome to speed your way through an indoor environment with a huge m60 vs quickly moving through with an SMG. (this works as long as the weapons exist within the environment, sidestepping through a door holding a sniper at the ready position should not be possible)

That's a good point. You're right about the weapons thing.

But my main idea is the "scout" class. Is it feasible? Or too completely outlandish to work in a GR title?

My worry is that in the current game, it is not possible to really "sneak" into position unobserved. If the enemy isn't looking your direction, you can move into position, but shouldn't an elite Ghost scout be able to move into position while under observation?

Like John Clark and Ding Chavez, baby!

So you'd have to provide a way to make it possible, and alllowing a scout to move "invisibly" as long as they do not have a weapon equipped, and remain invisible as long as they aren't "discovered" via noise, collision, or actually firing their weapon, would enable to scouts to be strategically effective.

The question is, would there people who would want to play the game in a scout role, basically attempting to avoid combat...

I have no gripes with the scout idea.....the original ghost game allowed the rifleman to carry a set of binos with him....beyond that its just a matter of finding players willing to sacrifice their kill count to fulfill the scout role......

there are other problems with that..

- maps arent big enough to require long range reconnaisance, if the maps are that big its highly unlikely that the other players would sit around and wait to be told where to go. At best the waypoints in graw at least allow you to communicate info to friendlies in the midst of your own movement. The scale of the maps in Operation Flashpoint allow for effective scout usage.

The best you can do is to team up with another player and make a scout/sniper team and do some traffic control for your teammates, thats as good as it will get for graw.

If that kind of gameplay really appeals to you then you should find some like minded players and play the original ghost games, the map size allowed players to set their own pace for combat.....I used to run around in a 4 man fireteam and cause all kinds of havoc on the maps..