Custom Game Mode

Alderei

As an alternative to the same old same old, I began working on a custom game mode. Now, with 16 campaign missions (16!!!) and 60 maps to play Exfil missions on, perhaps this custom game is un-needed, but I'll share it anyway and you can decide if its a fun way to divert your attention.

Mission Briefing: You are part of a downed transport chopper crew shot down over enemy territory. You and the pilot have survived the crash. Command is establishing an extraction point, but needs a clear zone to land.

Setup:

Game Type : Co-Op Exfiltration

Game Mode: Evasion

Game Settings:

Respawns (off)

Difficulty (default or hard)

Enemy Density (low)

Enemy Vehicles (on)

Advanced Settings:

Drone (off)

IFF (none)

Force Camera (your choice)

Weapon Pickup (allowed)

Custom Kit:

Auto Rifleman Class (restricted)

Sniper Class (restricted)

Grenadier Class (restricted)

Rifleman Class (only MP5A3 SD or SR-3 allowed)

Pistols (allowed)

Explosives (allowed)

Now the idea is that you're not prepared for a fight, you only have the weapon on your hip. I envisioned this being a pistols only type game, (but picking up a better gun as the mission progresses), but by myself found that the MP5 provided me with a fighting chance. I suppose in a team setting, one man might grab the MP5 off of the chopper while the others just have pistols. A team equipped with MP5's doesn't suit the game, as it doesn't seem likely that a chopper crew would each have their own MP5.

Variations:

Add a drone. Because command knows you're down, it makes sense that they would provide as much support as possible. The drone should be used as follows: Set it to a 2-minute interval. Destroy it immediately on mission start. Once it "respawns", send it to extraction. Command has provided you with limited intelligence as able.

Change Difficulty/Density to Hard / High. Team expertise and number should dictate this. By myself, on small maps, I like it on low, simply because keeping an eye on the flank, the officer, and the front is difficult, especially with only an MP5. 2 or more team members should be able to tackle medium density.

Kit Restrictions. Alter to suit your needs. Perhaps you want team lead to take the MP5, a support gunner to take something like a SAW or an M60, and scout to take a SCAR L-CQC for locating enemies at a distance (since we don't have binoculars anymore). I can imagine a scenario where a rifle is on the chopper and an M60 is salvaged from the wreckage.

The idea is to severly hinder the team in terms of weapons, to throw the balance of power to the opposition. After the first engagement, some folks might be able to pickup AK47s, A4 / M320s, or AK47 LMGs. That's why the heavy guns are restricted.

What do you think?

Edited by Alderei

I've only ever tried this game mode in urban settings, specifically "Ghost Village" and "Government District." Having tight corners to tuck the officer into when you're by yourself is helpful.

Anyone tried it on a bigger, more open map? I would imagine smoke would become an invaluable asset if tangos engaged from a distance. I would think on a map like "Rooftop" you would even need careful movement to watch "sectors," as enemies can and do seem to engage from everywhere.