Note to Modders: How to Make Your Mod Work on Mac

This has been asked time and time again, so I thought it might be appropriate to start a new thread on this so it may either be pinned or added to the FAQs.

To ensure Mac-compatibility, there's mainly just 3 things to keep in mind when creating and distributing your mod:

1. Make sure that file name length (incl. file extension) is 31 characters or less

2. Save textures (RSBs) with transparency (alpha channel) in 32-bit color depth (A8R8G8B8)

3. Do not distribute an installer executable (EXE) but rather an archive (like ZIP or 7Z) of the mod

That's it. That's mainly what's required to ensure Mac-compatibility. :thumbsup:

In some very rare cases there may be other - more intricate - things like e.g. Unicode text encodings for accented characters in text files/missions that may need addressing, and the Mac version of GR doesn't seem to like removable map objects implemented as gun/pob files (may cause CTDs), but for the most part you'll be good to go with sticking to the above 3 rules.

If you want to go the extra mile and offer separate downloads, it is recommended to convert all sound files (WAV) to Mac-native format (AIF), but this is not a requirement. It just results in better overall sound quality, as WAVs on Mac can cause a short delay and may play too loud or too soft on occasion. And if your mod contains videos you want Mac users to see, you should save them in a QuickTime-compatible MOV container. The codec can be pretty much anything QuickTime understands, like H.264, MPEG4, Sorensen etc.

If you have any questions or need assistance in making your mod compatible for Mac, please do not hesitate to post here or drop me a PM. When time allows, I'll try to help in any way I can.

• 1 year later...