[1.03 adds] Multi server support

ematsui

Patch 1.03

added support to run multiple game servers from same box

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2...13/m/4811001285

From Ubi post

1. Multicore support

GRAW2 makes full use of the available cores: when a game instance is started, it determines its main core, and will use the remaining ones for other systems (rendering and physics for instance). Therefore, you would get much better performances if you do *not* set the core affinity for the game executables. Several dedicated servers are also supported: the first instance will automatically use core 1 as its main core, the second instance core 2, etc.

2. Running multiple dedicated servers

Patch 1.03 adds new command line parameters to properly support multiple dedicated servers on a single machine:

-dedicated_game_info : allows you to use a specific game info file (that can be created ingame), in which you can change the port number used by the game by adding (replace xxxxx by the new port number) inside the node.

-port : this will override the default port, and the one defined in the game info file.

You can also make use of multiple network cards:

-network_list: prints the list of available network interfaces.

-network_ip : selects the network interface by local ip address

-network_index : selects the network interface by index. Network interfaces are enumerated from 0 and upwards.

\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2\graw2_dedicated.exe -port 16251

will run a second server on 16251

On fire daemon place this line (changing the port as needed)

-port 16251

in the parameter box

or what ever port you want your second server to run.

nb. default port is 16250 (std)

nice! glad to hear it. I wasn't looking forward to trying to hammer out the Virtualization thing to get it to work. It would have gotten really expensive for some people to do it if they really wanted to run 2 servers. I'm looking forward to see 2 BDA servers now. Unfortunately we just don't have the resources on our rig to really run 2 servers. We would need to put in at least 2 more Gigs to make it run smoothly.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

Just remember the game needs 1GB of SYS RAM to run effectively.

Our box is Win 2003 and 4GB of sys ram and Twin Xeon each core is on 1GB per app. We run four main games and that is a tall order. Remember your bandwidth up too, we allocate around 3Mbit up on each game. (we use fire daemon).

GRAW1 Multiplayer

GRAW2 Multiplayer

GRAW2 Coop

Armed Assault

Remember your bandwidth up too, we allocate around 3Mbit up on each game. (we use fire daemon).

From reading the above, it seem like about 10 players/1mb upload.. is that really all?

How much upload does a server really need per player.. and what do the setting "internetspeed 0-3000" have to say here...

I have 1mb(measured to be approx. 109KB/sec (875kb/sec)) upload.. how many should i be able to host without problems.. and what should the "internetspeed" be set to?

Anyone have suggestion, and maybe a little "why" story to go along.. I´d really like to understand :blush:

(thought netcode were better than old GR, and that used to run fine with 18 players)

Edited by Chrisp

Beaver, are you gonna do a tutorial on how to run one server for each core?

It doesnt look like I'll need to do that as the new server is multi core aware.

From the post over on ubi forums by Rickas.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2...13/m/4811001285

1. Multicore support

GRAW2 makes full use of the available cores: when a game instance is started, it determines its main core, and will use the remaining ones for other systems (rendering and physics for instance). Therefore, you would get much better performances if you do *not* set the core affinity for the game executables. Several dedicated servers are also supported: the first instance will automatically use core 1 as its main core, the second instance core 2, etc.

So the 1st instance will use 1st physical core, 2nd instance the 2nd core, etc

from this message "\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2\graw2_dedicated.exe -port 16251

will run a second server on 16251"

I have tried use this port 16251

my server can't see in the list on lobby game that must use default port(16250) only?

Please advise.

from this message "\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2\graw2_dedicated.exe -port 16251

will run a second server on 16251"

I have tried use this port 16251

my server can't see in the list on lobby game that must use default port(16250) only?

Please advise.

Do you mean you can't see the second server in the list?

Is your server behind a firewall? If so, is port 16251 open on it?

Remember your bandwidth up too, we allocate around 3Mbit up on each game. (we use fire daemon).

From reading the above, it seem like about 10 players/1mb upload.. is that really all?

How much upload does a server really need per player.. and what do the setting "internetspeed 0-3000" have to say here...

I have 1mb(measured to be approx. 109KB/sec (875kb/sec)) upload.. how many should i be able to host without problems.. and what should the "internetspeed" be set to?

Anyone have suggestion, and maybe a little "why" story to go along.. I´d really like to understand :blush:

(thought netcode were better than old GR, and that used to run fine with 18 players)

I thought the "internet_speed" was your upload? Provided you can confirm your actual upload speeds, (speed test, and/or direct downloads) and not what your ISP say you are paying for. You dont always get the speeds that are promised :) Is "internet_speed" your upload of your server? I would like to know this also.