I am finally building a gaming machine

XRW_Hotdog

ok i just bought my mainboard today:

MSI 865PE Neo2

Special Features

• Intel Hyper-Threading Technology

• Dual-Channel DDR400/333/266 Memory Bus (6.4GB/S Memory Bandwidth)

• 800/533/400MHz FSB, 8X AGP, USB 2.0

• Intel 82562EZ (10/100 LAN)

• Serial ATA

• MSI CoreCell chip, Live Update, Fuzzy Logic4, PC Alert, i-Speeder

Chipset

* Intel® Springdale 865PE Chipset

- Supports FSB *400 (Northwood only)/533/800 MHz

- Support Single or Dual channel DDR 400/333/266 non-ECC memory up to 4GB

- Support AGP 8x or 4x at 0.8V (AGP 3.0) or 4x at 1.5V

(not support 3.3V)

* Intel® ICH5 Chipset

- Integrated Hi-Speed USB 2.0 controller, 480Mb/sec, 8 ports

- 2 Serial ATA/ 150 ports

- 2 channel Ultra ATA 100 bus Master IDE controller

- PCI Master v 2.3, I/O APIC

- Supports both ACPI and legacy APM power management - Serial ATA/150

FSB

* Support 400* (Northwood only)/533/800MHz Intel NetBurst micro-architecture bus.

Main Memory

* Supports 4 unbuffered DIMM of 2.5 Volt DDR SDRAM

* Supports up to 4GB memory size with non-ECC

* Supports Single or Dual Channel DDR 400*/333/266 MHz and up (*In order to use DDR 400, FSB 800 CPU is required).

865PE_NEO2-S-large.jpg

next pay will more then likely be my new processor P4 2.4ghz then after that 2 sticks of 512 Dual channel DDR 400 and a new tower with 5-6 fans depending on which one i go with. so it will be another 6 weeks or so before i get to use it lol but its starting.

here is a pic of the tower i will more then likely be getting

00-5530020.jpg

this is the tower i really want though

xsuperalien_detail.jpg

only thing is the black one is $99 the silver is $269

but so far the mainboard was $145 plus tax, CPU is going to cost $279 and the DDR is going to be $244. i am going to stick with my 2 harddrives for now my cdr and cd drives. i have a soundblaster gamer 5.1 card and a GF 4200 Ti Turbo. so this will cost well over $800 bucks to get my machine up and running and that is with the cheaper tower :wacko:

ya i based this on the mainboard so i can build around it later. and as for the cases, i decided to go with the black atx. it has 2 less fans (which i can pick up cheap anytime) it doesn't come with a power supply and thats ok cause i just bought a 350 watt about 4 months ago. so i can't really justify $300 on just a tower at this point.

just wish the P4 3.2ghz wasn't so much. :wacko:

also i am not looking forward to reformating my hd for the new system... wish there was away to just plug it in and go

also i am not looking forward to reformating my hd for the new system... wish there was away to just plug it in and go

What do you mean? If you simply uninstall all the drivers for sound cards, video etc, you can still keep your OS, games, apps, and the like.

i thought because of the new chipset and bios i would have to reformat the drive and reinstall everything.  if thats the case i am much happier now  :thumbsup:

and my current os is Xp Home

Nope, just your drivers. (That is my understanding. Someone will gladly confirm it though.)

Edited by Crimson

Filtech Computer <- $251 for the P2.4C

Canada Computers <- $255 for same

...basically, the dozen or so computer stores on or near Spadina and College all have incredible deals.

the canada computers has the one i want: Pentium 4 - 800MHz FSB, Socket 478 Pentium 4 2.4C GHz w/ Hyper-Threading Technology Retail.

anytime i can save i few bucks i will. thanks for the info. :rocky:

Besides the help we all can give ya, remember that I have posted links to build it yourself guides along with one I wrote, in the pinned topics. Read through them prior to building it once you get all your parts. If you have any other questions, ASK. Don't be afraid to as if you don't you could possibly have problems. Any one of us (Rook, Phantm) who have custom built rigs can help.

OK...can I just check this...

CAN you introduce a new MoBo without format sys HD??

I've done a few now...and always fac-pecced the machined as I figured the new MoBo would not recognise the HD or boot from Windows as it had been formatted on a different board...

How do you go about installing new MoBo without re-installing OS?

Would be useful info...

Thanks!

Actually, the retail Intel heatsink will do just fine if you aren't planning on overclocking. It's more effecient than the AMD retail hsf, so temps are kept at lower levels. But definately get a tube of AS3 no matter what heatsink you use. Also, there are tons of reviews out there, don't buy a heatsink cause it looks good etc, makes sure it's a performer so you can save yourself from wasting money. When in doubt, google it. :D

Syncopator, you just hookup the new mb and bootup. Either WindowsXP will work, recognizing the hardware change, or it will crap out on you for wanting such new and speedy hardware. That's basicly all there is to it. :) I'd still recommend a reformat in all honesty. After a while, your system gets all cluttered up and slowed down, and a reformat helps to speed things up. Sure it's a pain, but sometimes it's worth it.

Edited by RooK

thanks for all the tips guys... it is helping a lot. i was looking at heatsink fans today but wasn't sure what to get just yet.

i did pick up my tower though, i got the Raid Max Scorpio in blue since the fans glow blue anyway. and they lowered the price of the tower from $99 last week to $69 this week. hoping the cpu will drop like that in the next few weeks lol :P

Another good HSF to try is the Vantec Aeroflow. It's available for both AMD and Intel CPU's. At idle I don't go above 42C/107F or 44C/114F while gaming at both stock clock speeds or even with my 2400+ XP pushed to a 2600+.

Good news on the box. Any time you can catch something on sale, so much the better. :)

Rook:

After a while, your system gets all cluttered up and slowed down, and a reformat helps to speed things up. Sure it's a pain, but sometimes it's worth it.

Yeah man - I do usually reformat - theres nothin better than firing up your rig after a spring clean and watchin it rock...having slowly died on its feet over a period of months clogging up with interwebbery grot.

Keeps the engine ticking along nicely after an oil change!