Which shooting games have set the standard?

nycgamer

I certainly agree with Rainbow 6, was the first FPS I ever bought - was the first trully good game IMO.

GR has to a point, I think it was one of the best vast outdoor games that, along with OFP have definatly had an impact.

CLARK

Well, DOOM and Wolf 3d, definitely raised the bar, or at least made the bar...

Quake raised it with a 3D engine

Half Life raised it with the whole scripted actions bit.

Rainbow 6 added the first bits of realism to it.

I think Doom 4 and HL2 will raise it more.

I'm expecting Doom3 and HL2 to raise the graphics bar considerably (and the sys requirements!!!) and maybe even follow Deus Ex down the path of lightly-scripted, non-linear, semi-rpg shooters. But that's about all they can do.

The next big advancement should be in AI - more human that we've seen so far. I hope to see friendlies react quicker and smarter and hold their own. I want to see bad guys, act confused, get spooked, take cover, even retreat when faced with enough firepower. I sometimes do. There's only one franchise that has the experience to do this and I hope they set the bar higher next time round....

Yeah, I can't argue with Half-Life or Doom. I can hardly stand the wait for HL2 and Doom 3. That also goes for Halo 2, which improved the genre leaps and bounds as far as I'm concerned. You can also add Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Battlefield 1942 and the Grand Theft Auto series to my list of most innovative shooters. I don't know how "innovative" RTCW would be considered, but I simply have so much fun with that game that I have to add it just for sentimental purposes. I suppose the maps are so well-done that you could say it has raised the bar for level design.

As for future titles, there are many sequels to look forward to, but the one new title that has me most intrigued is Kill Switch (http://www.killswitch.com/). For a console shooter, it looks remarkably well-done. The A.I. is supposedley going to be superior to the usual level and it's going to incorporate a predominant use of blind cover-fire tactics that other shooters don't. Not to mention the fact that it looks so damn cool;

killswitch8.jpg

killswitchdesertScreen.jpg

killswitch2.jpg

Well, DOOM and Wolf 3d, definitely raised the bar, or at least made the bar...

Quake raised it with a 3D engine

Half Life raised it with the whole scripted actions bit.

Rainbow 6 added the first bits of realism to it.

I think Doom 4 and HL2 will raise it more.

I'm expecting Doom3 and HL2 to raise the graphics bar considerably (and the sys requirements!!!) and maybe even follow Deus Ex down the path of lightly-scripted, non-linear, semi-rpg shooters. But that's about all they can do.

The next big advancement should be in AI - more human that we've seen so far. I hope to see friendlies react quicker and smarter and hold their own. I want to see bad guys, act confused, get spooked, take cover, even retreat when faced with enough firepower. I sometimes do. There's only one franchise that has the experience to do this and I hope they set the bar higher next time round....

in OFP, both friendly and enemy AI will run for the hills when faced with blithering fire.

Edited by Parabellum

I love the games where 1 bullet is all u need, not 5 to the chest then a magical health pack apperars to save u. :nono:

I concuor EXCEPT on HALO its the best FPS that I EVER played to date! :rolleyes:

I agree; Halo is incredible. The multiplayer is the best I've ever seen. What other shooters do you guys play? Here's my list;

Shooters I Have:

XBOX:

Ghost Recon (both)

Halo

Splinter Cell

007 Nightfire

The Thing

Hitman 2

Time Splitters 2

Unreal Championship

Max Payne

Indiana Jones: Emperor’s Tomb

Return To Castle Wolfenstein

Enter The Matrix

Brute Force

Dead To Rights

Conflict: Desert Storm

PS2:

GTA3

GTA Vice City

SOCOM Navy Seals

Medal of Honor Frontline

The Getaway

Metal Gear Solid 2

Time Splitters

Unreal Tournament

Gamecube:

Metroid Prime

Resident Evil Zero

Sum Of All Fears

PC:

Mafia

RTCW Tides of War

Medal Of Honor Allied Assault / Spearhead

Battlefield 1942 / Road To Rome

Soldier of Fortune 2

Vietcong

Rainbow Six 3

Iron Storm

Redneck Rampage

Tomb Raider III

Shooters to get:

Kill Switch

Halo 2

Deus Ex 2

Half Life 2

S.W.A.T. Global Strike Team

DX: Invisible War

Metal Gear Solid 3

Max Payne 2

Hitman 3

I think someone has to give props to Redneck Rampage and Blood. They introduced the use of chickens with dynamite enemas and Chris Farley movie quotes to the fps genre. And to Shadow Warrior for getting away with having more racial stereotyping than Custer's Revenge. Collectively, they had a hand in the sillying of FPS gaming.

FAR CRY by Far . :devil:

Oh yes ~ I can't believe I don't already have Far Cry on my list of shooters to get. It was one of the coolest things I saw at E3 (aside from the curvaceous showgirls at some of the booths). So here's my revised list of 'must-get' shooters:

Kill Switch

Halo 2

Deus Ex 2

Half Life 2

S.W.A.T. Global Strike Team

DX: Invisible War

Metal Gear Solid 3

Max Payne 2

Far Cry

Hitman 3

• 4 weeks later...

Halflife Counterstrike - the early Mod versions before the retail game especially revolution to modding and online gameplay.

System Shock, Thief (Looking Glass Studios) - Still an incredible game IMHO infuence seen in Dues Ex and Splinter Cell

Codename Eagle- Preceeded BF1942 a buggy FPS which included vehicles made by many of same developers of BF1942.

HL2 is supposed to have some very realistic eviorment effects and great AI. I wonder where a game developer could find some source code that would make good AI like that?? ;)

Edited by spalvl