Joining The Military

Guest Jester

Well, now in the Marine Corps, recruits can be guaranteed an occupational field, but not specific MOS's. For example, you can be guaranteed Infantry 0300 (Basic Infantryman), but when you get to SOI, you're assigned to which particular MOS you'll be trained for. Whether it be 0311 rifleman, 0341 Mortarman, Assaultman, etc.... Based on the needs of the Corps.

You do still take tests, and that will let you know which job fields you qualify for. I qualified for every job available but for some reason I want to go salty and then take advantage of the 100% paid tuition for active duty members.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!! Just a quick post to let you guys know I'm still around. I just started week 7 of basic training (BMQ) in St Jean, Quebec for the Canadian Army and things are going great. :D

For you guys who're thinking of joining, the advice I can give is this: carefully consider WHY you want to do it. There are people in my platoon who joined because of the "free" schooling, but have since dropped out. You don't want to go in thinking that you've found easy way through life. Yes, the govt will pay for you education, but just remember that nothing's free. You gotta earn it.

That said, this is the best thing I've ever done with my life. Besides the first few weeks of ###### sewing and ironing, I've done some pretty cool stuff here. This coming week is my weapons test, where I get to strip, make safe, clear jams, load, and unload a C7 assult rifle. I've found that there's NOTHING I love more then the sound of 15 rifles clicking during a function test. I've also done Nuclear, biological, and chemical defence stuff and I've been through the Gas Chamber and done a practice decontamination using tear gas. The week after next my platoon will go up to Farnham for field training. Its 1 and a half weeks of land navigation and firing range, as well as other field training.

After this I'm off to battleschool and then the Royal Canadian Regiment, which is infantry. Apparently, the first 8 weeks of infantry battleschool is ALL weapons training: C7, C9, C6, M72, Carl Gustav, granades, etc. I think I'm going to love it.

I've got a few more things to check out in my limited net time, but i'll post again when I can. Just remember: If you're going to join the military, do it for the challenge, or for your country, or something like that. Its not a free ride through school and its not a way to pick up chicks and look like a stud. its about going to the ######tiest places on earth, fighting, and winning.

:o=

I started in June, running, swiming, pushups, pullups, etc. I could do 4 sets of 25, max, pushups, over 200 situps, and about 3 miles in 20:40.

now, i can do atleast 80 pushups, well over 200 situps, probably 15 pullups.(3 sets)

i do all my stuff in sets, rather than all at once,(sometimes i'll do 80 pushups, jsut to challenge myself) i'll do 6 sets of 30 pushups, and situps. and i still have yet to time my 3-mile, i'm in Cross Country, first race of the season is a week and a half from now.

I recomend u try the SEAL work out. at SEAL's look under seals, and pre-bud/s, there will be a wrokout in there.

remeber, they aint interested in who comes across the line first(maybe the are), they want the guys who push themselve across the line, least thats what i've been told.

BIG EDIT: I cant tell ya a lot about the way the military does workouts, besides the SEALs, thast besides the point, anyway, BE SURE TO DO STRETCHES. dont go out there, thinkin u can run 10 miles a week, w/o strechin, cos u will get f* up. schin splints, stress on muscles, etc.

Edited by Marcinko

Why did you join?

primarily, the challenge. thats what I'm thinking right now anyways. I got my diploma, but never liked high school. I've always been interested in the military, and at the time i signed up I was bored out of my skull... not just school, but in all aspects of my life.

now that i'm here, I can't get enough. I always figured that going overseas would be pretty cool, but now its something i NEED to do. i want to know if i can hack it, and push the limits a step farther then that sucker downrange.

these days, BMQ isnt like Full Metal Jacket. the instructors arn't allowed to kick my ass if i screw up (although i hear it still happens once in awhile). there's positive reinforcement, as well as negative reinforcement. this makes life easier, but from what i can see, it doesnt make a weaker soldier. there's alot of mind games going on. the instructors will tell you you're doing good all day then they'll just freak the ###### out and make you eat a ###### sandwich for no reason. i don't know what its all about, but i think its supposed to put an emphasis on mental toughness as opposed to physical toughness. in FMJ the recruits just became numb to Hartman's yelling. here, we don't have that. its a constant up and down of emotions thats really amazing to see. keep in mind that BMQ is the SAME course EVERYONE in the military takes: infantry to cook to naval weapons tech to air force RMS. its kindergarten compared to the combat arms schools: infantry battleschool, combat engineers school, arty and armoured schools. the fact of the matter is that there are plenty of people here who're too ######ing fat to hack it at Gagetown or anywhere else besides a desk. those who're going combat arms are the ones who get the real deal. we do PT here, but its ######ing pathetic. the minimum is 19 freaking pushups!!! its up to us to take the little bit of time off we have and do some real PT ourselves, up in the barracks.

anyways, thats my one real gripe about this place. but i'm just a recruit, and my opinion could change as time goes on. like i said, I joined for the challenge. the time management is something i was never was good at, but i'm being forced to learn. the mind raping isnt much of a problem for myself, but there are people here who have trouble fuctioning under stress. i'm getting a challenge, but the real fun's gonna start at battleschool.

@Fusaki

It's great to hear from you! Keep up the work and the pace you won't regret it. Your right it is mind games but it isn't a game. You will understand what I mean and what the training is for as you progress through your military service. It sounds like you have the right attitude and the aptitude to complete what you started and become a member of the best brotherhood you will ever be a part of. :thumbsup:

@Everyone else

When it comes to military service, reguardless of which country or branch, one key thing to keep in mind is ATTENTION TO DETAIL. I preach this to my step son time after time because it is so critical. Not only in the military but in everyday life too. Think about it this way. If you honestly look at the last time you got hurt, in anyway, I am willing to bet that lack of attention to detail paid at the very least a small part in what happened.

I often wondered why my "Company Commanders" (drill intructors or whatever else you want to call them) were so concerned about my bedsheet corners being folded to a perfect 45 degree angle. These sadist's would actually get out a protractor to check this! It wasn't until I hit the fleet that this started really sinking home. If I could master the "attention to detail" required on something like that (there is another reason for us being trained to make our bunks in that fashion too, I will get to that in a second) then paying attention when it really mattered on board a ship of war would be easier.

BTW,

For us the other reason for having to make our bunks with a "hospital corner" or a 45 degree corner was so that, if the compartment ever flooded for whatever the reason the bedsheets would be less likely to clog up the pumps that would have been required to pump out the space.

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

• 2 weeks later...

Blacking out during a drill parade because i hadnt had time to eat for two days and had only a couple of hours sleep during the same time... ;)

I was soon brought round by the training staff, although it was in the usual military manner... :rolleyes::P

My favorite part of basic was popping my blisters!

Like I have always said. Sadistic. :wall::wall::wall:

The one thing I will remember the most about boot camp is the first morning. We got to boot camp at 3am. We were woken up at 0430! :wall::wall::wall::wall:

Did I mention I am not a morning person? Yeah well I had the misfortune of one of my Company Commanders (drill instructors for the rest of you) learning my name that morning. :blink::blink::unsure:

I got to know him better after my medical checkup too. :wall::wall::wall:

My piece of advice...No matter how tempting keep your mouth shut. Unless you are spoken too and oh yeah eye contact is bad. Very very very bad. Pick a point on the wall behind your DI and stare at that. :thumbsup:

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

Edited by warhawk

Greetings!

I'll never forget doing leg-lifts while holding an M14 in the air.

But the craziest thing is when I was ordered to help fix a clogged toilet commode.

We had an OSVET recruit from the Marines that almost topped the scales at 285lbs , and it seems that he had the capacity to lose about 25lbs by taking a single dump.

Although he never admitted it, he was seen leaving the bathroom shortly before clogging the commode.

So here we are trying to plunge and snake this toilet to no avail, finally I unbolt the bowl and lift it off the floor. What I saw next was unbelievable--- the 6 inch pipe is stuffed with a turd the size of a football! We had to break out into pieces onto the floor with a crowbar.

That was a cruel and unusual punishment work detail, but it was hilarious at the same time. :ph34r:

LMAO.. :lol:

Anyone else do the standing under a tree in Autumn (Thats Fall for our US buddies ;) ) sweeping up the leaves as they fall to the ground because some top nob is due to visit at any second , or painting the brown bits of a lawn green with green paint for the same visit ?

And they say that war is hell, the peace aint a lot of fun either when your in the military you know..... Lol ;):D

I just wanted to start a thread about people who have gone through there basic training. Please share you stories and also give tips to people who are going to be military-men.

Never, ever, when carrying two rifles, dump one in a forest, because you have only one magazine.

My favorite part of basic was popping my blisters!  :D

Ewwwwwwwwwwww, strange!