PolyCount

Fortran

Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some feedback on the topic of polycounts for different sized weapons as I am not yet %100 familiar with the GR engine.

What is a good polycount for the following (if anybody can shed some light)

Rifles (AK47/M16 etc.)

Sniper Rifles

Hand Guns

Objects (ie grens/binoculars/waterbottles)

So far we have been getting between 380 - 450 for the rifles etc. and about 330-390 for handguns.

I know the old addage is "As few as possible" but is there any sort of range that the GR engine handles comfortably ? What sort of polycounts are the rest of you guys getting ?

I try to get rifles and such to be under 1000, Handguns under 300, and objects can be as low as 100.

Obviously you can make very low counts but the GR Engine handles high poly's really well.

Ive even had a 55000 poly gun running well :lol:

Lots of people complain about poly count in games so this thread will go on and on :P

For myself, 700 is the magic number. Lately I'm breaking that limit, because I have a good feel for what technique will land me at 700, but now I'm adding more optics and attachments - that definitely adds more.

In general, 500 will give you a rifle that looks perfectly good at the regular distances that you play at. When you walk right up to the weapon and bump your head into it, you'll see where a 500 poly weapon keeps it trim (4 and 6 sided cylinders).

The trouble we have as modders is that we know that the first thing everyone will do is walk up and bump their head into our guns, so we tend to go overboard on polycounts. After the gunshow is over, it's game-on, and you'll hardly ever notice the difference between 500 and 800 polys. (Speaking from my experience, and based on my style of modeling).

Anything over 1000 is pretty heavy, in my opinion. That's getting into the class of 1st person weapon view. But having said that, most people won't notice any gameplay problems 1000+ poly counts.

For the work I'm doing right now, here's my general breakdown -

Rifles: 650-700

Sniper Rifles: 700-800 (main reason = optics)

Handguns: (?) 250-350 probably.

Is this a ninja? ---> :ph34r:

Whatever it is, I don't like it. :angry::o=:ph34r:

Edited by Earl

To bad that other post I started got lost...It seemed to be a big read that got out of hand...lol...

I was mostly always going for below 900...I just found it to be an number I could live with...1000 should be plenty for a decent weapon...What you really need is a good texture...It can make all the difference in the world...

It doesnt matter if its a rifle or a pistol...I have done an uzi at 650 or so...Each weapon will play the same...Even though I would try and go as low as possible...

@Fortran- Hey checked out your site looks pretty nice. Was wondering if you could use some weapons.  I got over 50 already done. You can check them out at

AFZ website

Was just wondering if you could use some weapons or not.

Soup,

As you know (if you read the "about" page on the site) we need alot of weapons, a whole lot of stuff from 1952 up to 2008! I wouldn't want to just use your weapons and credit you as our mod is only going to feature unique weapons/models/maps/textures (ie. you will only see them in S.A.S Evolution). However I would be honoured if you would join the team ! :) I need somebody with some talent like you on hand to help model the large arsenal of weaponary. If your interested in joining the team then send me an email asap.(dont bother filling out a form on the website...Ive allready seen what you can do :P ) admin@thedragonproject.net

Hi guys !!! Nice to speak with all of you again... I'm back

Happy new year ....

Well ... in my mind I would like to say that the lowest is the best.

Rogue Spear managed weapon with 120 polys for a 2 hands weapon....

When you play missions or MP games, you don't look the gun or you die. It's possible to make a gun with 300 polys that looks nice while playing. In fact it's the number of the polys is enough when you are able to recognize the weapon.

Now if we talk with artistic point of view and we do not take care about low computers, as they said 700-900 polys can provide you a beautifull work.

That was a "big" discussion on this site I remeber .. heeheehee

For my part I can model a gun with 300-500 polys and appreciate it in the game. But when I love a gun I can give it 1200. for example my favorites are MP5SD5, Beretta 92F silenced, Desert Eagle, M60, M249, Barrett, M16A2, and the M134. I can feed them with a large amount if I think it's necessary to make them as I want to see them. Don't ask why I like them..... I just like.

But some of them don't require a large amount of course.

Now for a m24 (as I don't like very much it's look) and covered with camo, I can draw it with a simplified shape.....

And for the OICW, one of my favorite for MP deathmatch, I don't know yet but actually I used the original one form the game ....

try to do 700 ... it should be good.

A+

I don't consider myself to be a great weapon modeler, but here are my results:

Most of my rifles count some 600- 800 polys (although I did some with significantly lower count then 600)

Some of my more complexed weapons go as hi as 1200 polys..and I didn't notice GR engine to have any problem with it at all. I think 1500- 2000 polys is well within a safe zone..even for an inferior PC to handle.

• 2 months later...

personally... i think modders put to much attention on poly count... i say make whatever poly count you want. im releasing a mod in a few weeks named Hitman's Arsenal or something like that. anyways, most of the guns in there are over 1000 and some of the really pretty guns are at 12,000 such as my hacate. when a graphics card can handle somethin like a trillion polys a second like my Ti4600, i think that a gun with 10,000 polys doesnt make one bit of difference. i think that the more detail a gun has the better, even if they are suttle and no one will ever notice. i personally just like to make the guns more detailed for self satisfaction knowing that i put alot into that gun.

but on the other side... the lower poly count that a GOOD looking has the better. the real skill of weapon modding is making a 700 poly gun look like a 1400 poly gun. :D

just a lil somethin to think about

I try to think about everyone who plays GR when modeling a weapon, some people may not have a machine that will run mods with counts that big, if not, then thats just one more person that will not be able to see my work. Can't see what I've done then there's no sense in doing it.

personally... i think modders put to much attention on poly count... i say make whatever poly count you want.

A good modder can make weapons with small counts that look as good as those made that have large counts. Thats the challenge, making them look good but still at a low count, ANYONE can make a high count weapon, only a few can make nice looking weapons with small counts :rocky: