For all you vets...

Specter

Well, people keep begging me, so heres a story. Telling stories is thereputic (or so the shrinks say)...

In late july i was assigned to an unnnamed FLZ that had been coming under fire from snipers for months. These guys caused no casulities but damaged a few 130's with what looked alot like .303 Enfield knock-offs.

So they sent me in to clean them out, alive if possible.

The LZ was rather small, just a little refuling and rearming area. And a staging area for helo flights. The highest point nearby was a small ridge bordered by shrubs. I figured that this was the most oppertune place for a sniper to shoot downon the airfield, so I crossed the airfield and dug a hide overlooking the field, diagonally to the ridge.

I watied not even an hour befor i could spot movement in the bushes. I traind my sight on the ridge and scanned for targets. Three guys in black western sweat clothes were laying down in the bushes, one had a brand spanking new .303 Savage bolt action..

Now those who know me, know i am rather unothodox in the fact that I shoot a .308 Savage whenever im not speciffically ordered not to. So I was stunned to see my rifles little brother in the hands of the enemy.

I waited till he put his eye to his scope, and squeezed off a shot which caught him in the temple and exited the base of his skull. I caught one of the others in the leg and let the other one go. The one with the leg was captured and ended up being a 15 year old kid who was out with his father (the dead one) shooting at infidels. The one who ran was caught 500 yards away by our SP's and was his older brother.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah safe returns guys,and welcome back

But I'd like to point something to the non military guys here who are so desperate to hear stories of war,as these guys will tell you.................this is not a game,it is not something to get your rocks off,people die,a lot of good people died,so I would ask for a little respect for these guys here and not badger them wanting to know what it was like "slotting an Iraqi".Some of these guys will have nightmares for the rest of their lives,the taking of another life is not an easy call,some can handle it in their own way,but others will be psychologically scarred by what they saw and did.

I'm glad you are all safe guys,hats off to you and even though I not religious God speed!

Argyll that is very well put.

Time for another story. Your right they do say talking about it is good!!!

Well first story today my brother in law who is in the 5th grade asked me to come in to school and talk to his class. Well I did went in my Class A's (army's dress green uniform). I stood there for 45 mins telling these kids what I do and what we did over there (minus the bad stuff). They asked questions and I told them. Not one kid asked the question "did you kill some one." They are young but listened to every word I said.

Next story its like the first one on this topic. I got on my plane in Savannah GA and flew to D.C. to get my flight to NY to see my wife and little girl. Well I didnt fly out of Savannah in uniform. I changed in D.C.. Well the time it took for me to change and get to the other termanal on the other side of the airport I was about 5 mins early (airline time thats 10 mins late). So I got on the plane and the flight attendent took my bag in but it under an empty seat for me (small plane one you got to get out and spinthe propeller on). Well during the flight i had 3 or 4 people talk to me. Log story short. When we landed the flight attendent asked that everyone stay seated till I could get my bag and exit the plane since I had just returned from Iraq and hadnt seen my wife and little girl yet. As I was getting up an older lady maybe 50 or 60 thanked me for what I did. Then I got off the plane. I forgot about the no ticketed people not allowed to the gates. So I was freaked out wondering where my wife was. Well went to the pisser. Then went to leave. That is when I saw my wife and little girl. MAN 7 months of emotion came out. One of the ladies on the plane was there and took pics. And emailed them to my wife. Plus the best part was my little girl who is only 2 was yelling daddy daddy daddy.

So those are my two stories for the day.

Maybe later I tell yall about the war....

@ Swordfish.

Glad youre back and OK bro. Really glad.

I don't think that Argyll meant it like that at all buddy. I think he was asking more that some of the younger kids, when asking, please be respectful and courteous. That's all. Just asking that some of the guys not get over zealous with their curiosity and alienate you guys, just to be respectful of your wishes and your feelings.

Just asking that some of the guys not get over zealous with their curiosity and alienate you guys, just to be respectful of your wishes and your feelings.

That's what goes through my mind, I mean, I read the books and am interested in the subject, and these posted accounts, but I don't feel comfortable asking for more. I just feel privileged to hear these accounts from the horses mouth, from the real deal, here at GR.net.

SOTO,

Thats correct,it wasn't about the glories,as an ex squaddie myself,having done operational tours,then having seen it all myself,swapping the "warrie "stories with with buddies,is a way of life,its also the release mechanism that lets guys get their emotions out into the open and dealt with.

Only those who have served will understand the closeness,of the "brothers in arms " way of life.

Swordfish,the story was excellent,from a "warrior to a warrior" thing I related to it,and the somewhat surreal feel of it all.

I would love to hear more,but I would ask only in PM's.

SOTO is right some kids today,and we have to realise,that Rocky pointed out to me the other night,that there are a lot of kids who frequent this site,sometimes forget that war is real,and Ghost recon is nothing like it at all!!

Well said Argyll, :thumbsup: i have to admit that i still have times when i dont feel like playing GR or this style of game thanks to my experiences, but most of the time i just enjoy being online with friends and having a good time without it being a big problem. ;)

Well my 2 cents now. The first night I got back wife wasnt there no rugrat. So I turned on ghost and played online. WELL first timei noticed is that it aint nothing like the real stuff. I got shot while behind a wall that I shouldnt have. In real war there is a guy to your left and right that knows what you are probably going to do (sorry to say training went out the window, we did what felt right). Ghost online is just a bunch of people running arounding trying ot get the most kills. Snipers most the time dont sit in tall buildings or on the high ground (learned that from my unit sniper who I spotted for a couple times).

Time for another story.

We had just taken the airfield. We had a really bad prob with looters. So the company commander moved us out to the there side of spiral hill (fox or cnn has a great sat pic of it. The water palace). We were to stop looter and ID enemy forces. Well I was spotting for our sniper. Since we both are E-5/SGT we went out. We had a building that men keep going in to so we set up on a roof top (not our call company commande told us). We saw 3 people come out. The sniper got the one with the RPG. The other to ran off (range was to far for my m16 or m203). These other two guys ran for cover. These A**holes sent out 2 kids one about 5 the other about 12 or 13. Well my sniper couldnt shot them (niether could I). So what we did was the next best time. He shot the RPG and destoried it (no it didnt blow up, but did disable it from being used.) The kids ran off. Some times shoting is the right thing to do so time it is, but in this case we both have kids and just couldnt do it. If one of those kids had picked up that weapon thenit would have been time to shot.

Well that is the story for the day maybe more later

Thanks for the time to listen to what I have to say

Thanks for the stories guys. It's really good to hear the facts, and what really happens there. Like Rocky, I read about it, and have always had an interest, and it's good to hear the truth from the guys who were there.

Thanks guys. For everything you did over there, and for sharing it with us here.

I'm glad you all made it home safe and in one piece.

God bless all of you.

@Soup

It's ######holes like that, that send kids onto a battlefied, that are cowards in my book. They don't even deserve the right to be called warriors. I am glad to hear that you didn't have to shoot the kids, not only for the kids but your sake as well, but that kind of stuff just torque's me off. :angry:

I better stop before I blow........................Thanks for the story though.

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

@RS

The sad reality of the world we live in is that I have been many places where a 12 year old is a warrior.

Who was it that said "A countries final stance will always employ the arming of it's women and children". (I am paraphraseing only because I don't know the exact wording of the quote). This to me is the last desperate acts of fools who fight when it's no longer feasible to do so. A true warrior fights to the end but does not do so to this degree.

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

Well when we took the bridge over the river we took about 50 EPW (enemy prisons of war) most were kids from the age of 15 to 18. They had whip marks on there backs. There unit had just showed up the neight before we did and they didnt expcet us to show up. When we did the officers ran and left the enlist to fight for them self. That is great Iraqi leadership for you.

Where in Iraq was this bridge anyway?

It was over Euphrates river don't know the name of the town or village. We just called it ojective peach. It was the first river crossing by boat since WWII.

You captured 50 POW's? Astounding.

I myself didnt capture 50 EPWs. My platoon did. And 50 wasnt that many at the battle of the escarpment we took 150 EPWs.

I guess I fought the easy part of the war eh?

No part of war is easy!!!! What unit were you with??

My company was attached to TF 3-69 AR. The forward tip of the spear for the 3rd Infantry Division.

The ephrates is a really big river. Thats alot of gray area

Ahh, but clarified at last.

457th Air Expeditionary Group out of Minot AFB

Our motto was Fiat Accompli

Our Crest was a plane inside of a twisting fireball inside of a four color shield. One corner held mountians, the other valleys.

We are the guardians of the upper realm.

Edited by =UE=Swordfish

An AEG is a large unit that contains everything needed to support a force of planes in the field.

From cooks to Pilots, the whole bunch.

CC's with yall? :blink:

All 96 of out CC's were deployed with the Green Beanies..

Might have been some other speciality.

Edited by =UE=Swordfish

They unit is attached to the army. We have a Air force unit cant remember there unit id. There are one per Brigade and one for the division HQ. They got the commo stuff to talk to the planes as we cant talk with the radios we have. Well the ones we just got we are suppost to be able to now. But you never know till you need it.