Call of Duty

ASF_Sidewinder

I posted a similar thread in Computer Discussions [That's before there was a PC Games forum] ASF, back in June. Nobody responded to my thread back then, so I thought I'd help you out mate ;)

I agree, it is looking good at the moment, and it's always had a mention in the last few PC Gamer mags (US), especially October's.

I'm big into WWII, and have yet to install Day of Defeat.

DS

I've played WOI and enjoyed it however GR isn't a good game for WWII in my opinion...its really hard to aim amongst other things. And god do i hate the MOH series...such a bad depiction of WWII fighting...taking out a tank with a .30 cal is my idea of nothing....DoD is alright i guess, the weapons models are the best WWII i've ever seen. BF 1942 is good. But Call of Duty looks really really good the more i see hte more i like. What saddens me is that now i'll have to spend extra money next month to buy it along with LO:MAC...I can't wait!!! :yes:

I've played the demo now and before d/ling it I really really wanted to hate it. Mainly because I love the WOI mod for GR (for it's realism) and hated MOH:AA for it's arcade kiddy game.

But...alas...I am sold and will be 1st in line to buy this damn game.

I've played the demo now and before d/ling it I really really wanted to hate it. Mainly because I love the WOI mod for GR (for it's realism) and hated MOH:AA for it's arcade kiddy game.

I've played the demo too. Very good but very short. It lasts probably less than 10mins. It's still good though, very similar to MOHAA.

Recon,Aug 31 2003, 13:51 ]

I've played the demo too. Very good but very short. It lasts probably less than 10mins. It's still good though, very similar to MOHAA.

Similar, but thank the (insert deity here) that it is different enough.

Short indeed.

Played it on the hardest setting and that was a nice challenge. One of two hits and you were nice and dead. Much better than the multipal hits and medi-packs.

Edited by Falkirk

I think this game is a lot more immersive than MOH was. There's something very engaging about running along with all those other paratroopers. While I love War of Infamy for the realism, I don't think I've played a game that's captured the WWII "feel" as well as this one yet.

They did a great job on the AI also, I love how they cover doorways as everyone else goes through and automatically take up cover in the streets, lay down suppressive/covering fire, etc, etc. The yelling and background noises add a whole lot to it as well.

Only thing I couldn't figure out is what's the 101st doing in St. Marie Eglise, the 82nd did the fighting there. That's my ONE gripe. This is probably going to be one of the top three games I've ever played when it finally comes out.

its a demo what do you want the whole game? haha....

The demo is so good. I was upset when i couldn't pick up the Garand though...i'm sure i'll see it when the full version is realesed. Great game though.

Yeh, but remember how long the GR demo was. A lot longer (if done properly) and it had MP too! :thumbsup:

The demo is so good. I was upset when i couldn't pick up the Garand though...i'm sure i'll see it when the full version is realesed. Great game though.

alas i found the garand i just wasn't looking hard enough...

Downloaded the demo from Gamespot last weekend. Hate to say it seems a bit old hat - the only (big) exception being you get to be part of a team in SP and you follow orders more often than give them. This gives the game a realistic and less lonely feel and takes the burden of command off you (who else just luuurves GR's command interface?).

Otherwise all the elements of MOHAA are there, updated of course. What I don't like is the fact you can take so many hits before going down and pick up health/ammo by running thru them. I also don't like the way the M1 carbine has only a ten shot clip (wasn't it 15?). There are also some quirks: I noticed that standing ten yards away I could see a clip in one buddy's BAR but up close, the clip fades out.

Also, when trying to take the second AA gun, we were pinned across the street and I had used all my grenades (we don't get paid to bring them back!), so I backtracked all the way to the first house at the start of the mission to retrieve some German grenades I had spotted. On my way back I had found the platoon had moved back to the row of houses after the half-track encounter and were apparently staying put as they didn't follow me out through the back yards. So I went to the front lines again to take care of Jerry and grenaded them before charging. As I charged I heard the captain's voice but he wasn't around. After destroying the second gun I turned back and the squad had materialized back at the position I had left them in to start with. Weird.

Nevertheless, it's more of the same fun that MOH delivered but with my buddies and my captain right there. That makes it deeper, more immersive and rewarding. Also it doesn't make you feel like you're saving the world all by yourself so much as helping out your buddies. I'll buy Call of Duty despite its little faults.

Edited by budgie

Another gripe: the game is very heavily scripted. Bad guys are dirt stupid, and apart from shooting then ducking for cover they don't do anything without their triggers. No flanking or such that we see from the friendlies. The only way to make them react is to move towards them, and their only reaction is to run along pre-set paths and shoot and duck.

I agree about the scripting - they seem to do the same thing every time. One thing I did enjoy was slinking around behind a machine gun nest, taking out the dudes manning it, and then using it to mow down all that moved. Talk about metronomic :D

I think the iron sights are excellent and quite realistic - reminded me of shooting rabbits as a kid, 'cept the bloody bunnies didn't shoot back :blink: