OMFG....

Major Maximum

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).

Update the virus definitions.

Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as W32.Blaster.Worm.

Delete the value that was added to the registry.

For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. Disabling System Restore (Windows Me/XP)

If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or one of the following articles:

"How to disable or enable Windows Me System Restore"

"How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore"

For additional information, and an alternative to disabling Windows Me System Restore, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder," Article ID: Q263455.

2. Updating the virus definitions

Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:

Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).

Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).

The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed instructions.

3. Scanning for and deleting the infected files

Start your Symantec antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.

For Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."

For Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise products: Read the document, "How to verify that a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan all files."

Run a full system scan.

If any files are detected as infected with W32.Blaster.Worm, click Delete.

4. Deleting the value from the registry

CAUTION: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry," for instructions.

Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)

Type regedit

Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)

Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

In the right pane, delete the value:

"windows auto update"="msblast.exe"

Exit the Registry Editor.

Fits the file. SOB!!!

Read This!

When W32.Blaster.Worm is executed, it will do the following:

Adds the value:

"windows auto update"="msblast.exe"

to the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

so that the worm runs when you start Windows.

Send data on TCP port 135 that may exploit the DCOM RPC vulnerabilty to allow the following actions to occur on vulnerable machine:

the worm to be download and run using the program tftp.

I posted that already. :blink:

Symantec

Myself and Stormcrow having same problem today since 2pm GMT.

(have fixed Stormcrow's machine by the way - he'll be online shortly!)

I have called NTL - our ISP - as another, 3rd NTL customer we know has same problem) they have a recorded message quoting the exact error and are saying it is a windows xp vulnerability and to call back tomorrow.

Looks like all concurs.

Damn.

Symantec is the company that makes Norton Anti-Virus. Download the fix from Stingers link, delete the msblast.exe from your system32 file, and delete the registry entry.

Edited by Crimson

How did you fix Storms comp? I just ran a full system scan and nothing came up.

Sorry - that was another fault he had! Though I have done the regedit and sys32 deletion of the ofending msblast...and switched on the XP Firewall...and all fine now.

Will keep posted if probs redevelop.

All 3 of us with NTL have USB cable modems on static IP broadband connx.

Obviously able to exploit the XP vulnerability.

Seems ok now.

How many of you have upgraded to MSN Messenger 6 recently? That is the only change I made in the past 2 days and thats when it started, at the same time

Dont think its that Phantm...I have recently installed about wk ago - but Storms comp and the 3rd guy - have old MSN. So think we can at least rule that out.

Seems limited to broadband users, yes?

Edited by Syncopator

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/de...n-gb;newsgroups

Sorted, read the topic "Help us, virus problem" by me, (James)

Ah nice one.

Unbelievable, I got this too. I say unbelievably because after reading this thread I thought it was time I did a Windows Update, as I have not done one for a while.

There were 10 critical updates outstanding. So I set a restore point, then did the first update, then rebooted.

As it was restarting, I went to the kitchen and grabbed a cola and a pancake. Next thing I know, I can hear the PC shutting down!

Sheesh.

i dont have the firewall or AV software running either. it comes in through a tftp port, and is not just an XP problem.

I know where it comes in, but what I want to know is what triggered it to come in.

Edit : And My router isnt hooked up yet since I just moved. I have to set up 2 networks on it since Im staying with someone else. So ill be setting up two 3 station networks here to access the internet through one router.