Still having random lockups

Parabellum

I guess I'll start getting things in order to do a FFR if the situation doesn't improve. Too bad I hadn't thought of putting Windows on its own partition before.

I do have another question first:

I have another HD, which is 8gigs. I'm currently not using it, because I absolutely could not get it to FFR last time I tried. But, if I get it to work, would it be pheasable to:

- FFR the other drive, and set it as main drive, running Windows and all drivers

- Use my current drive as drive D, and continue using it without doing an FFR on it, since I'd be using the other drive for Windows?

I'd much rather at least try that, than have to FFR this drive and lose all my data.

Yeah, it would be feasible. But do you really want to count on a drive that you couldnt get to FFR? And being an 8GB drive, it's alsp getting long in the tooth. Especially for you to count on as an OS drive.

I would recommend one of two things. One, get a new drive and make it your data drive, but that is a waste if you dont need that much space.

The other option to save your data, would be to pick up Partition Magic 8.0 by Powerquest, which allows partitioning and resizing and moving of partitions on the fly so that you dont lose your data.

I can also walk you through the steps. It's a very nice program and very painless.

Yeah, it would be feasible. But do you really want to count on a drive that you couldnt get to FFR? And being an 8GB drive, it's alsp getting long in the tooth. Especially for you to count on as an OS drive.

I would recommend one of two things. One, get a new drive and make it your data drive, but that is a waste if you dont need that much space.

The other option to save your data, would be to pick up Partition Magic 8.0 by Powerquest, which allows partitioning and resizing and moving of partitions on the fly so that you dont lose your data.

I can also walk you through the steps. It's a very nice program and very painless.

You mean I can re-partition my drive without losing data? Would that allow me to reformat one partition, without reformating the rest?

Thats exactly what it means Para. The program is amazing. I use it on a regular basis on my machines and on clients machines also bro. It is a lifesaver and a half. Made for such emergencies as this. It is really great.

If you want to pick it up, I would be glad to get with ya and walk ya through it.

You can re-partition, resize and completely move partitions around, and even add and subtract partitions without losing one bit of data.

EDIT : By the way, I see Im not the only one who doesnt have a life!! ROFLMFAO ! !

Thats exactly what it means Para. The program is amazing. I use it on a regular basis on my machines and on clients machines also bro. It is a lifesaver and a half. Made for such emergencies as this. It is really great.

If you want to pick it up, I would be glad to get with ya and walk ya through it.

You can re-partition, resize and completely move partitions around, and even add and subtract partitions without losing one bit of data.

EDIT : By the way, I see Im not the only one who doesnt have a life!! ROFLMFAO ! !

I'll definitely pick that up, though I probably won't be able to afford it until at least the beginning of September - if not later. My wife and I are really struggling right now. We may even lose our phone service before this is over with. :wacko:

I feel your pain bro. I just lost everything I had. But I still have the Internet, so life is bearable.

If you have MSN Messenger add me and get me later today. Where do you live?

I live in Florida. I don't have messenger, but I'll get it as soon as I can. Probably this afternoon. If I don't get to the electric company ASAP, they're going to shut off my power. Aah...the joys of being absolutely broke. I'd forgotten what it was like.

:rofl:

Hi para,

I've got one of these 'grey' faults too. My system does a CTD/reload at random intervals. The MS fault analysis ALWAYS says it's a driver!! but never which one.

Everything in the system checks out and updating to the latest drivers and patches seems to make no difference. I've looked at heat but hot or cold weather (and we've been getting some hot stuff recently!) makes no difference either. My Athlon's been running at 62/64 recently!!

There's also no apparent correlation in the software being run. Graphics intensive or plain word processing.

I must admit I'm running out of ideas and coming around to thinking in terms of motherboard problems or incompatibility. As a purely intuative response I feel this situation developed with my last m/b change. I'd always used Asus or VIA up to the current one which is a MSI KT4V. Very good spec and VIA chipsets so it shouldn't be an issue.

Otherwise, its also my first experience with a MSI graphics card (GF4 TI4400)

Again, good spec and does mostly what I want of it. btw, just installed Detonators 45.24 and they look good. I'm also running on DX9b which is no different to 9a or DX8's, stability wise.

So where does this take you? Well, i'm not sure but perhaps the Guru has some suggestions? I think there are hardware component combinations out there which the OS's, drivers, application software cannot hack 100% of the time and give the unfortunate among us these failures.

M.

Well, I remember that, awhile back, I got a black screen on boot-up which said something about my video drivers. My problem is always either graphics related (games, rendering) or on the net. I've only had two lockups on the internet though. Probably about a dozen or so playing games, and one rendering. Somewhere along the way, something's become corrupted, possibly my video drivers. I'm going to solve the problem when I buy Partition Magic and fix Windows.