Learning HTML

Kamakazi

Don't do what I did and learn html through dreamweaver. It has a lovely habit of adding in its own code as and when it likes. Try using notepad and seeing if you can get it too look right (and across browsers). I had to unlearn my "html" skills (i.e. just adding tables and then dragging em wysiwyg style in DW) and start again as it never worked in bloody netscape.

Don't do what I did and learn html through dreamweaver. It has a lovely habit of adding in its own code as and when it likes. Try using notepad and seeing if you can get it too look right (and across browsers). I had to unlearn my "html" skills (i.e. just adding tables and then dragging em wysiwyg style in DW) and start again as it never worked in bloody netscape.

Yeah, im aware of the limitations of dreamweaver. Guy i know is first setting its thing up in DW, then opens code in notepad and rewrites it al over again. <_<

Prob is, i dont wanna be a pro hardcore webdesigner. Just wanna finish my own site and than no html for me anymore.

Any recomms on other easy-programs?

Thanks, BlueRose_76

. Guy i know is first setting its thing up in DW, then opens code in notepad and rewrites it al over again.

:blink:

That's like using a calculator to work out your tax return then doing it all again with an abacas :blink:

Dreamweaver does a very good job - it's the best WYSIWYG editor out there, used by industry professionals, and slated by html purists stuck in the stone age. Or at least it used to be, those notepad heroes have gone quite quiet recently IMO.

That's my take on it :D

. Guy i know is first setting its thing up in DW, then opens code in notepad and rewrites it al over again.

:blink:

That's like using a calculator to work out your tax return then doing it all again with an abacas :blink:

Dreamweaver does a very good job - it's the best WYSIWYG editor out there, used by industry professionals, and slated by html purists stuck in the stone age. Or at least it used to be, those notepad heroes have gone quite quite recently IMO.

That's my take on it :D

Yes dw does a passable job at doing html, but it is far better to learn html the proper way initally (if you want to do it properly, but br doesn't seem to mind, so fair play.)

magnumKP stuck in the stone age since 2001 ;)

I have about 90Mb of training videos off a magazine cover disk  I might be persuaded to upload.

How can i persuade you to upload them there vids :huh:

Just tell me you will watch them :D

I'll watch, I'll watch!!

They are very basic guides, but if thats what you need I will upload them, I'll FTP them up tonight and by the morning I'll post the URLs.

Thanks Rocky!! :) Are they gonna be up temporarily or permanently? I'm getting Broadband on thursday so i'll d/led them then if they are still up :D

I like to cut out all the bloated junk that HTML editors add in.

Like what?

All the extemporaneous code that they add in. I don't know the names for them, but I usually edit out about 10-15% of code if I have used frontpage or some other editor and wind up with the exact same look and capability in HTML work I do. It's just unecessary info that these programs stick in that human coders don't need to utilize.

All the extemporaneous code that they add in. I don't know the names for them, but I usually edit out about 10-15% of code if I have used frontpage or some other editor and wind up with the exact same look and capability in HTML work I do. It's just unecessary info that these programs stick in that human coders don't need to utilize.

On the whole Frontpage is not very good, (from my reading in webmaster lounges, not personal experience)and from what I have read I can well believe it adds extra code.

Dreamweaver does not, on the whole, add unnecessary code. Infact the opposite is more likely to be true - it is more likely to add necessary code that most people would not think to add. Cross browser compatibility is one example, meta tag data is another.

In all the 400 odd pages I have produced at GR.net, I can safely say that DW hasn't added anything I didn't want it too. It used to when I used font tags, that was a bit messy in older versions of DW, but now I am using CSS in MX, no problemo. :D