Ghost Recon.net Forums

hello everyone,

today was a really crummy day. i was just using my pc, just like i do every day, surfing and watching a dvd when i smell something that smelled like burnt wiring and before you know it, my pc just shuts down and i haven't been able to get it to work since :wall:

i'm thinking that its probably the stupid psu...but i'm not too sure. so it looks like i'll be outta the loop for a while. i'm using our old AST 133mhz dinosaur to type this message and you would not believe how long it took for me to get to the site and to the forums.

Aggressor

If u wanna test ur PSU to see if it works hook up a fan to it. Then use some insulated wire and insert an end on each side of the clasp(closest to the clasp (top row)) (holes 12&14) that goes into the mobo and if the fan comes on it works essentially. I'm leaving for Texas tomorrow so if u dont understand that ask Snakebite1967 for the link/picture of what I am talking about.

That test is OK, but doesnt test all connections from the PSU.

I wouldnt use any computer parts to test it, just replace it. If its an HP and under warranty, take it in...If you dont want to wait, replace the PSU, but be warned it may void your warranty. Not to mention I have seen PSU's go bad and fry drives, mobos, and procs through voltage surges.

Best to take it in if it's under warranty.

That test is fine to make sure mos parts are operating fine. Test the 4 Pin molexes and the 3 pin connectors if u have each type of fan. It takes about 8 seconds if ya know what to do and at least u know it is letting power through. And its real hard to screw up a fan so dont worry bout damage to it.

Edited by Stinger

What you guys don't know would surprise you. Stinger has been fooling around with this stuff heavily for the past year, and most of what he's telling you he has tried himself. Had the conversations with him over AIM.

Anyway, I've had a PSU blow when I was building this pc. It has the exact same symptoms Aggressor mentioned: funky smell, pc shut down and won't restart. I would advise doing what Stinger said. It would at least give you an idea if some of the PSU damaged, and if you connect those wires and it doesn't even work, then you definately know it's fried. A new PSU fixed my problem, might fix your and save you a 1-2 month or so down time.

Edited by Chems

Lets all take a deep breath...before something else besides Aggressors Powersupply starts sparking and smoking...

I'm not going to comment on whether I think Stingers advice is correct or not...but I will say this...

Aggressor posted here because - by his comments - he isn't a computer technician...in fact, it seems from a technical point of view...he may not be tehcnically saavy with fixing computers...

Any advice to do technically related work...no matter how simple it may seem to an experience person (either professionally or personally trained) could result in more damage being done.

For that matter alone, if the computer is under warranty...I would take it in. If it isn't...then I would seek more specific guidance before proceeding.

Adding to what Phantom says...a "deranged" PS can easily take out more components...the best way to check it is with a multimeter to measure the actual output...

If you have any more comments...feel free to post them and I'm sure the fellas that have replied can offer further assistance.

@Rook

Read a post in here by warhawk, who just had an AMD overheat.

What I said about the PSU is true. The 2 tests that Stinger said are just fine, but like I said before, and will say again, and just so its clear to you, me and Stinger have an understanding now, so you dont need to get all defensive.

Those are two tests, that dont nearly test enough of that PSU to determine if its good or not. Not even close.

From what I understand, Aggressor's machine is still under warranty, as its fairly new. If he just pops a PSU in it to save time, he will void that warranty, and be screwed should he need it. He pops in a PSU, and finds out that it surged and fried the CPU or the mobo, he will be screwed. And in 13 YEARS, I have seen that happen many, many times. The safest, best course of action is for Aggressor to take it in, and get it fixed with his warranty so that if something else is wrong, like the PSU frying the proc or the board, it will be taken care of.

I have also personally seen many AMD procs over heat, one very recently. I also know this to be hard fact. In fact, they have a long hard history of overheating since the K6's.

You keep bringing up that ATI card. Well fine. Keep bringing it up if thats the best shot you can take at my advice. That's cool with me. But let me just clear this up for you once and for all, since you didnt get it yet from the other 3 or 4 threads you brought it up in, and I explained it. I took your advice and the ATI card worked fine in Windows. But since I need a fully compatible card for the Linux on my machine, it didnt work for me, I went back to the Nvidia, but have the ATI card working fine in my P3 450 with XP.

I will also say this again, although I did in another post that actually got me and Stinger an understanding with each other.

I am not perfect, and I do make mistakes. There have in fact been a couple threads where I have admitted this, and several threads where I have taken the advice of others. But you see Rook, that is easy for me to do, because I like to learn, and I can admit when Im wrong, and keep an open mind. But I will say when I know Im right, especially if it will save someone here time, money, and grief, because thats what help and real tech support is all about.

I dont post on stuff I dont know, or havent seen without knowing or finding the answer. But Im big enough to admit when I'm mistaken, but this isnt one of those times.

I have spent 13 years working on more machines than alot people here will ever see unless they do it for a living. When it comes to the latest and greatest hardware specs, I may go to Stinger for advice, who knows? But when it comes to practicality, real world, and budget, I'll stick to my 13 years and over 1100 machines of experience. And yes, before it comes up, thats documented experience.

So, let's not do anymore bad mouthing please. These fine folks can look over all the opinions and advice offered, and decide for themselves what advice they will take.

And since I have yet again conceeded to your superior knowledge of ATI cards, can we let that dead horse lie now and not bring it up in every thread that you see me and Stinger in please? We dont have a problem, and I want it kept that way.

Edit : Also, I want to add that Im here because I enjoy helping because I know what the run around in the real world is like. Im not in it for the credit. Im doing it because I like it. Why else would I do it for free here? I dont care about credit, I like actually helping people. It isnt a competition.

That PSU test can't hurt anyhing at all has been used sound for years.

For someone who has computer experience...that might be true...but not everyone has even the basic knowledge to open their case up...disconnect the PSU from the MOBO and test it...

As much of a computer techie as you are...surely you've read the trouble desk calls of people who have done absolutely ridiculous stuff to their computers trying to fix them...because they thought they could...

Now...lets keep it civil...and try and help Aggressor out with his problem...

It is as simple as placing a wire man. But if the computer is under warranty dont fiddle with it since u could end up losing ur warranty and damage ur computer.

Fresh start from here guys lets all move on.

Here is another reason why Aggressor should take his HP in instead of trying to troubleshoot his problems himself. Most OEM PC's have a propriety ATX motherboard connector and if you try to do a loop around to get the PSU to power up, you yourself could be powered up. The pins may not actually have the same pinout as a true ATX power supply.

Now everyone go back to your corners and settle down else I lock this too. <_<

Aggressor, I hope your computer is under warranty. You should take it back anytime you smell something burnt inside with a warranty. This forum is for advice only not anything else. GR.net has many opinions that is totally up to the person to follow but I say this if you don't know something don't always take the word of someone without researching yourself. Most guys here are speaking on their experience and that counts when giving information to help a comrade out. I had my power supply go out and simply replaced it and Wk had his go out and what do you know he sent his back too. Power supplies aren't worth cracking up to fix yourself unless for gp general purpose. Good Luck and get that package off for repairs. :thumbsup:

You know, there has only been a few times, and I mean a few times, but once in awhile, everyone follows my idea. So Aggressor, the majority vote here is for you to contact HP and see whats up. Do that first.

Phantom, quit referencing K6s. Those haven't been used since over five years ago and since they aren't used anymore don't even count. You apparently haven't been reading what I was saying. Ever since at least the kt266 chipset, all AMD mbs (can't speak for prefabs though, they screw up the best things) have had overheat protection built into BIOS. It reads off the cpu's internal diode to get temperatures. You just set an option for the max temp you will allow it, and if it reaches that the pc shuts down. Simple enough. They also have rpm monitoring for the cpu fan, and if it fails then the thing shuts down. Anyone using a machine built within the last two or three years should have this feature, if not... then something is wrong. Giving away free advice is only worth something if it's sound advice. Personally, I tell people everything I've learned without ever having considered charging them for it, but that's just me.

With the advice I offered to Aggressor, I was hoping to save him some down time. Prefabs have a habit of bad service and long delays. Some people would rather have a simple fix (which switching a PSU is) than to wait for months to have someone else do the same thing. Connecting/disconnecting a PSU is no harder than plugging a device into an electrical socket.

Edited by Chems

Well Rook, you're wrong, and it has been an issue since the K6's, you didnt read mine either. As for it not happening, talk to warhawk, it just happened to him.

But that's ok. Im not going to argue with you about it, you believe what you want to. You want to start an AMD debate, start another thread.

As for charging for advice, I never have. Ask around the forums and see. I have 13 years experience, in the field, actually working on more than my own machine or a friends. But we all know that you know more than anyone else RooK. You go dude ! !

Before this thread gets hijacked again with personal attacks, I will lock it.

As for Aggressor's machine, I assume he got the warranty for a reason, and him slapping a PSU in it to save time will void that warranty.

That being said, Aggressor, read through all the advice here, and do what makes the most sense to you bro.

I assure you that there wont be anymore argument in this thread.

Whoa :o

Calm down guys :huh:

To everyone here at GR.Net, you guys have always been very helpful in helping me sort out my pc probs and this is always the fist place that i post whenever the Hp :devil: acts up, Thank You!! :D

The regulars that have helped me in the past with my pc probs have always presented me with a variety of ideas/possible solutions to every situation. and i think thats what happened in this thread and people read into the suggestions a little too deeply perhaps, and have let their replies be influenced by past/current bias and issues that they may have with the different posters.

Anyway, i raised a little hell today at the store :o= after i got the usual run around thing and they have ordered the new Hp psu and will have it to me by tomorrow or Wednesday by 4pm at the latest, or I get and identical or newer Hp pc depending on the availability, and all the work and any other issues will be fully taken care of and will all be under Hp warranty.

Again, I would like to thank everyone here at GR.Net for all the help that they have given me with this and all my other PC probs that I have had in the past. :thumbsup:

* i hope they do take their time....i want that new pc :devil: *

Edited by Aggressor
And then you have Stinger with the only real knowledge is what he gets off the net and by trial and error and only a few years at that. Which one would you really listen too?? <_<

Come on NC, there are several people trying to help the original poster out, it's up to Aggressor to pick and choose the advice he wants to follow, why there was any need to fire a salvo off at anyone for trying to help I don't really see.

Anymore debate on personalty issues can be carried out by PM, from this point on it's about the topic in hand. Aggressor's poor PC :(

I second Rocky. You guys obviously know what your talking about so please try to help our poor Aggressor whos havin PC probs. Can you all just agree that there is more than one way to skin a cat and try to help the guy. As you way see Ive edited and deleted everything I think might cause a spark to other people reading throught this and apologize if you feel your post shouldnt have been deleted but if it was off topic thats thread hijacking and has got to go. Feel free to start up another topic on the subject of AMD K6s. Good luck Aggressor and keep this thread clean please.

My point was not to start a flame war, thats not my style.

It was only to point out the experience of the 2 individuals that were giving advice. I wish that I had worded things a bit differently but too late for that now. So with that said, Stinger there was meant to be nothing personal suggested.

I said nothing inflammatory about anyone, nor would I. Though I'm sure some read that in anyway.

I admire the way Stinger has learned what he has learned, and hope that he keeps it up, I myself am self taught, and am proud of it.

Though it does jerk my chain a tad that Stinger would challenge almost everything that Phantom suggests to those asking for help, what about those poor souls that don't know whom to listen too and something really bad happens to their PC, who is gonna take responsibility for that?