HELP, i need somebody

ok, enough Beatles tunes. i have a big problem. when i double click my GR icon on my desktop, it starts up, but then GR never comes up.

here is my Ike.log if it may help:

RSOptions: Could not open options file options.xml for reading, using defaults

Ghost Recon (RELEASE)  version = 1.4.0.0(0)

RSDisplayMgr::CreateGameWindow: Creating a 800x600 window at 0,0 on monitor Default Monitor attached to Intel® 82810 Graphics Controller

RSDisplayMgr::CreateGameWindow: Game running on primary display Default Monitor attached to Intel® 82810 Graphics Controller

RSDirect3DRenderer::BuildDeviceList: No windowing adapters found

RSDirect3DRenderer: Could not build device list

RSDisplayMgr::CreateRenderer: Could not initialize renderer

RSUIMgr::Initialize() : Could not initialize mDisplayMgrIkeGameMgr::Initialize() : Could not initialize UI_MGR: -1

hope yall can help me out. thx in advance.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, my card is a POS. but it came with the PC. but GR was working fine until i changed my resolution to see soemthing that wasnt fitting on my screen when i was using BJB's Actor Gen. maybe that has something to do with it. i mean, if it was my card, then GR wouldnt have been workin for the passed year, right?

Edited by ETMC_PRODIGY

after lookin at my ike.log, i noticed it said it cant find a file called "options.xml" and i went into my GR folder and found out it is missing, dont know why though. maybe im lookin in wrong folder. if so, can someone post the path that leads to the file i.e. C:/program files/red storm entertainment/ghost recon.....

It should be in your main GR directory. Ie...C:\program files\Red Storm Entertainment\Ghost Recon.

If it isnt, You can Reinstall, or I can send you mine, and before you start a game, just make sure you go into options and rest them for your video card.

Your game isnt crashing because it cant find the options.xml. IIRC, after you uninstall everything and delete the folder, then reinstall, the options.xml file isnt even there. It generates after you've played the game. Its his on board graphics.

@Crimson

Normally I would agree with you as I have tried to load GR on two seperate systems that both had the Intel onboard video. But if it was working before then Phantom is right. It would be logical that it's something he has changed since he played the game last. My question is how did he even get GR to run with that particular video card setup??????????? :wall::o=:wall:

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

ok. and i too dont know how it works on my comp. GR isnt the most advanced game out there visually. i mean, my comp was built a couple years after GR came out, so maybe thats why it worked. i dont know. i just want to get it workin again.

Thats the thing though. Something else is going on here, because his card worked fine for all this time, and it wouldnt make the options.xml file disappear. It isnt his graphics chip.

@etmc

A sys restore wont restore the options.xml file. That only restores the Windows OS and the Registry entries, provided you have a restore point, and the registry hasnt been altered. What OS you running bro?

@warhawk

The video chip isnt the deciding factor for GR, its the amount of onboard video memory, and GR only requires 16 MB. He probably has plenty for that. I can run, and did for a long time, run GR on a P3 350 with 256RAM, and a Diamond Viper V550 TNT with 16MB RAM, and it ran fine. Not as pretty as my current setup or some others here, but no problems, I even used to host 9 player games all the time.

I would seriously at this point consider a complete uninstall/reinstall of GR, because not only is that file missing, but GR is also unable to find or generate some other files as well.

And what ever you do, dont ask for support from UBI or RSE. Ill have good money that UBI will tell you you need to upgrade your video card, although it was working before. And all he did was change resolutions? :huh: This is a beast of a problem.

Edited by Crimson

That missing xml file is whats messing his game up. It shouldntt have just disappeared like that. Something happened to it. He replaces it or re-installs the game, I'll bet it works again.

Edit : Actually the Options.xml file is generated once you set your options in GR, and remains there forever after unless something like here, has gone wrong with the game.

This, I'd bet serious money on it, is a game issue, not a 'puter issue.

Another ten pence worth:-

I'll go with upgrade graphics card. GR may not be the most demanding game out there now, graphically, but it sure is penickerty? (what's that mean?)

Be interested to know what our friend gets by way of image quality, fps etc.

M.

I would upgrade the Vid also. But if he was happy with it working, and doesnt have the cash to hand out, then why?

Also, we need to get the game fixed, and the missing/corrupted files replaced, or the video card wont help.

Edit : I say get the game working again, then consider your budget and your personal need to do so before spending money on a new video card.

Just my opinion.

Edited by phantom110565

Ooooh! You're just too sensible Phantom and I agree.

But I wasn't offering a judgement on his financial status, that's for him to decide. I understood this was a technical forum and he was requesting technical advice. (Not that mine is necessarily correct, just what I'd do)

I'll also admit to a dislike of 'on-board' stuff.

M. :rolleyes:

I dont like onboard stuff either bro. But I try to take into consideration all the facts, and If I dont know them all, I err on the conservative side until I do. And these days, money is a big consideration.

Besides, his vdeo chip isnt going to screw up or lose game files.

I had the same problem ETMC_Prodigy and when I got a new graphics card the problem was fixed. My ike.log said the same thing about the missing options.xml and when I got my Radeon 7000 the game was fine. I had a Intel graphics controller to and the game worked fine for a while and I changed something and I couldn't start the game or anything but when I got my graphics card the game started up and everything was fine after that.